1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your worst and best GPU pruchases and why.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vestibule, Feb 9, 2018.

1. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac mini
    Yeah, I also made money on my 480/4GB I paid £195 and sold it 1 year later on e-bay for £257. All because of the crazy mining fad.

2. Killian38

Killian38 Master Guru

GPU:
    My best and worst are above. I do need to give Props to the 7800 series card. It's still playing a ton of games with low settings. Never overclocked this one. Got it when it came out when I built my Wife a PC. It can get load but never stops. I'm on it right now. Kids took over the other PC's.

3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Worst: Geforce 4 MX440, just a Geforce 2 ultra in disguise. GeforceFX 5900SE, wasn't a true DX9 card.

Best: Geforce 7600GT, close to a 6800 Ultra for much less. Geforce 560 Ti, 3 and a half years of solid performance.

Very Best: Geforce GTX1060 6gb. If you were lucky enough to grab it for less than $300 you're getting comparable performance to a stock 980, add in some over-clocking which they are great at and you've got a very powerful bang for your buck card.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Worst: 7900gt. Newer games quickly overwhelmed it. Had miserable experience trying to play Oblivion.

Best: 8800gts 640mb and GTX 1070.

Keitosha likes this.

5. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Worst card is probably the AMD X800 XT PE. Paid more then 400 euros for it only to have shader model 3 a year later.
    Best card its either the 7970 or the 9500 i softmodded to a 9700 Pro ( and later the 9800 ).

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Worst purchase: CFX 5770. Bad decision as 1GB VRAM was immensely limited under any circumstances.
    Best purchase: GTX 580 right afterwards, but the extremely rare 3GB VRAM edition. Carried me for gaming for many years until it was replaced by 980SLI.

nz3777 and Solfaur like this.
  7. KenpoJuJitsu3

KenpoJuJitsu3 Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Worst: GTX 780 Ti. Seemed like the 3GB buffer became obsolete overnight.
    Best: Radeon 9700 Pro. That card carried me from when it launched until mid 2008.

8. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Best: 8800GTX, ran everything I threw at it for a long time at max settings and was pretty much the first card I had where running high levels of MSAA was a reality without crippling performance.

Possibly the biggest generational leap in performance I’ve seen.

Worst: 7970 Crossfire, simply the worst experience with graphics hardware/software I’ve ever encountered, bad frame pacing, lack of Crossfire profiles and just generally terrible drivers at the time meant that I quickly moved on to a pair of 780Ti’s.

nz3777 likes this.
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Hard for me to name my worst, really. I had a GF4 MX440 and a Radeon HD2400, both of which were so bad, you could actually watch the Windows desktop be drawn on the screen. I had a Radeon 9600XT that was DOA and a GF 5600XT that only functioned for a couple weeks. Also had a GTS250 that performed horribly. My GF 9600GT's had issues with constant black screens....

Also hard for me to name my best. The GF6800, GTX275, GTX560Ti, GTX970, Radeon x700 Pro, HD4850, HD7950 and my RX470 have been among my favorites.

The HD7870 and GTX460 were both a bit of a mixed bag. The HD7870 performed very well when it would actually work. The first GTX460 did catch on fire and take out a motherboard and power supply, as well as a TV and HDMI cable.... Was hard to really like the card afterwards.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Worst : Radeon HD 6950 unlocked to 6970 - Good value on paper considering it unlocked with no issues, but it had literally 12 months of crap drivers. It took a full year before the drivers stopped driving me nuts. It didn't help that I had a reference one which sounded like a vacuum cleaner so I had to install a custom cooler.

I had an R9 290X for a short time which was worse, but I assume that was defective, I returned it.

Best: Radeon AIW X800 XT - Considering the performance for its cost at the time there is no modern equivalent. These days, not including the current insane inflation of GPU costs, it feels like we pay several times more for a fraction of the relative performance. I don't remember having any frame rate issues for quite some time after getting this card. There were no massive driver issues which I ran into, or any other major issues that come to mind. I only have fond memories of good performance and a bunch of extras (I wish all-in-one high end video cards were still thing) when I think of this card.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Only Intruder and AsiJu like this.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I don't recall there being as much a need to upgrade graphics cards in the past as recently. Also doesn't seem like you get quite as much for the money anymore. Maybe I'm just old and remember the past differently.

12. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Worst.
    Voodo 2 with 12mb. I was just a kid, so i didnt pay for it tho. Had nothing but issues with it. I remember the card refused to run carmagedon 2 smooth. I stoped playing on pc for a very long time becasue of this card.

Best.
    Amd hd 6970 or ati 9800pro. Or my current gtx 1080 considering the state marked is in. I used the 6970 for a very long time.It served me well. So i think this is the winner. Doubd i will use my current 1080 for this long, im allready itching for a next gen. gpu that can handle 4k better...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Worst: XFX AMD R9 270, it died after pretty much 2 years, a first for me to actually have a video card die outright, it also had an unknown device that wasn't actually anything on the video card... it just showed up in device manager as a thing that no driver applied too, this was also my first "AMD" video card, prior to this all my video cards had been Nvidia and one ATI video card years and years ago so this wasn't a good first impression, I was happy with it's performance and wasn't planning to get a new video card... and.. well it died.. and then got my current RX 470 which I'm happy with the performance of, but unhappy with it overall, mostly due to the build quality by Asus.

Best: EVGA Nvidia GTX 460 1GB, simply the best video card I've had, I kind of wish it was powerful enough to just keep using for games today haha, I upgraded from this to the XFX R9 270.

Next video card I think I will be going with Nvidia again, if the prices ever come back down from the moon.

14. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Best: I think I'll go with my ATi X800XL - It was an amazing card, I was able to play everything on full details with 6x MSAA at the time at 1280x1024 and it also featured video input (VIVO) which I thought was fantastic (I played on my PS2 connected to it, recorded some game footage).

Worst nVidia FX5200 - it was awful... couldn't even play Halo at anything above 800x600

Totally agree, the X800XL I bought was £230 and that was 2005, it worked really well, everything I played was highest details (including FarCry) but now, to play a game on highest details/resolution, you have to pay almost double that (and that's without considering the mining craze).

15. Ulenn

Ulenn Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 550 Ti
    The worst : Savage 4 (bad drivers) and the nVidia fx 5200 (the worst gpu from nvidia?)

The best : Radeon 9550 and the GF 8600 gt (the latest still in use on my htpc)

Honorable mentions :
    Permedia 2 with 4 mb my first gpu , good all around comp/perf/price for that time

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

16. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    So many to decide from lol.

Worst - nVidia 5800 Ultra (f&&k this card. LOUD doesn't begin to describe it. HOT doesn't begin to explain it. It claimed to be dx9 ready, but nvidia went with fp32 instead of 24 and ATI ran away with the dx9 crown).

Best - Ati Radeon 9800 Pro (this baby got me through Far Cry, Doom 3, and Half-Life 2 smooth as butter when nvidia was a complete mess. The card lasted me a while, oc'ed like a champ and shed new light on this company that I ignored as I went from 3dfx straight to nvidia.

The nvidia 6800 GT would be tied for best. OC'ed to Ultra levels and brought nvidia back to the top. Not that I only use them. But back then I was a fan boy for sure and was happy to see them get back on track. It was a solid card as well. Who can forget the mermaid demo?

Solfaur likes this.
  17. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    best was radeon 9550 (AGP) that was overclockable by 100% (atleast)

never really had a bad card, as all my purchases are very carefully thought out.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Not sure if I can consider it the worst....Maybe it just wasn't mean to be...But the best and the worst for me has been the Fury X. Same card haha. Let me explain at least.

Performance I could not complain about at all, amazing performance! Loved it. One issue...Well a couple technically, I had to RMA it 3 times. I'm more or less starting to think there was something more than just the GPU having the issue, but when I had that system and replaced it with an RX480, didn't have one issue with that or have to RMA it.

Also note on it, it was a powercolor Fury X.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  19. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    fx5200 i used for a little while, absolute garbage, best probably my current 1070, the 4600 Ti was a bit of a beast too.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Best: Voodoo2 SLI - Going from Software rendering to this was huge!
    Worst : My first nVidia product, I think it was a Diamond Viper V550, I just couldn't get the thing to play along with my computer. I got no 3D acceleration and a load of other problems.
    Worst2 : GTX285, such an expensive card that really wasn't that good at all compared to cheaper cards out there