1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your worst and best GPU pruchases and why.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vestibule, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Worst : Gefore 2MX before understanding it had gimped shaders. Took me getting a Geforce 2 64Mb a couple years later (and Geforce 4 MX in between lol) to see the diff.

Best :
    ATi 9500 Pro 128Mb, overclocked like a champ with an aftermarket cooler.
    8800GTS/640Mb, also overclocked like a champ. Ran Crysis at ~Ultra Levels no problem (I went through all the settings, and found the 2 that took the most shader power, The waves detail was one, and the other was shadows iirc, dropped them both down one notch).

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    I just remembered that I still have the t-shirt that came with the BFG 8800 Ultra. Back then it didn't fit me but I kept it and in recent years I lost some weight and started wearing it in the gym, so it's still in pretty good condition despite being over 12 years old. On the rare occasion that someone recognizes the logo I take my "hat" off to him, as that person must be an old school hardware enthusiast. :p

[​IMG]

The1, vestibule, Passus and 2 others like this.
  3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    S3 Savage 4 I guess. I wasn't happy with the quake 3 and ut99 performance on that thing. Best would probably be my 1070, nice price and cooler. It's easily the least audible cooler I've had on a graphics card. I will never buy a blower ever again :p

I remember a salesman trying to get me to buy a geforce 4 mx over a gf3 because it too had 64mb VRAM :p I was only 12, glad I didn't buy that thing when I read about that line years later.

4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Worst, deffo the NV 7800GTX, best was probably the 8800GTX once STALKER hit the shelves.

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    The 7600 GT I had 3 fail in the first week and then gave up and bought a 7900 GT. I loved my GeForce 3 Ti 500 before that though.

6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    I had a GF 3 Ti 200, came with my first PC I bought from MESH. Loved playing the original Ghost Recon at 1600x1200 on my monster 19" monitor.

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    The only GPU purchase that I regretted so much was the reference R9-290, during the time of owning it, I had nothing but black screens, I would say I spent more time watching black screens then the time spent playing games with it. At that same time, mining happened, so I couldn't even returned it for an replacement. Evidently i did the only thing I could do to get every thing working, was to sell it off for an GTX 780.

Other then the R9-290, there been no other Gpus that I regretted because of that one giving me the most stress and regret.

CalculuS likes this.
  8. Killian38

Killian38 Master Guru

GPU:
    Worst one would be the R9 380. I love AMD but this card really sucked for me. Ran hot even with a good aftermarket cooler. It died not long ago.

Recent best card. Asus 1060. Runs cool. Overclocks like a beast. It drops my jaw. I'd try a 1080 but not today!

Back in the day: 8800gtx. OMG fun times.

vestibule likes this.
  9. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    I don't have any one single regrettable vid card purchase, but I've definitely been doing it smarter these days. There was a time when I thought I need a better card because the calendar year changed and two new games came out lol. You truly need to skip a couple of generations of graphics card technology to see any real tangible difference in gaming performance. Benchmarking is one thing, but I'm talking actual improvement in gaming. My most recent jump was from an HD7870 2GB to an RX480 8GB.

airbud7 and vestibule like this.
  10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned the NV 470, hot running and poor performing. So glad I stuck with my 280gtx before jumping to a 580gtx.

11. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    This certainly brings back some memories here. It is too hard to pick one card though. For best, I would say the HD 5850, and the 8800 GTS 640MB. The worst would be R9 290, and the FX 5700 Ultra.

pegasus1 likes this.
  12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    My worst was anything from Gainward - everything broke Very fast, followed by RMA from HELL.

vestibule likes this.
  13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    My worst and best are the same purchase and my current card:

best because it's the fastest card I ever had, worst because it's also the most expensive card, by far, I've ever had!

Remember the time when you could buy a decent gaming graphics card for less than 200 EUR / $?

[​IMG]

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    ran a bfg fx5200 with an amd k6 500mhz

strange though , I tried to run that card in a p3 machine and the motherboard flips out about it. keeps saying the bios is corrupt.

but thats probably because the board was from gateway computer....

stupid thing has issues detecting more then 300mb of ram. tried to go to 500mb but something about the board can only work with certain number of chips on memory cards.

vestibule likes this.
  15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Man I watched alot of legacy PC hardware videos on YouTube and man the Geforce 4MX cards were the first rebrand that I am aware of in Nvidia's history. They had the same capabilities as Geforce 2 cards. Heh the same amount of VRAM with worse performance. You were lucky to have ignored that salesperson because they had no idea what they were talking about.

lucidus likes this.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yeah the GF 4 MX's were a total ripoff, lols. Rebranded GF 2 cards basically yes.

Incidentally one of my favourite GPUs surely was a GF 4 Ti 4200 at the time, ripped through 3DMark2001!

In retrospect, going by just price versus performance the best card surely was GF 6800 LE with unlockable shaders. Cost IIRC around 170 € and unlocked to a 300+ € card!

Guru3D had instructions on how to unlock shaders on 6800 LE with Rivatuner and been a regular Guru since :)
    (well, regularly visited the site and lurked forums, didn't join until 2010).

airbud7 and vestibule like this.
  17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    My worst GPU so far was a Pallit GTX570. The card didn´t have any significant issues but the problem was that the card was just meh... I didn´t have anything special or remarkable. It died after 3 years of solid service.

For the best cards i have to mention a few:
    1st - 8800GT. The first card i´ve bought for 250€. It offered amazing performance at the time for an amazing prize. Later i slapped a custom cooler and the card become even better. To bad it died after 5 or 6 years of extensive use... I salute you 8800GT!
    2nd - MSI GTX970 Twin Frozr. Payed 380€ for it and it was also an amazing card. Great performance with an even better cooler that made the card silent 90% of the time. Sold it 2 years ago for 150€...
    3nd - MSI GTX1080Ti Duke. Payed zero because i won the card in the last Guru3d christmas contest. And what can i say about an high end card that plays everything at max settings without breaking a sweat while remaining silent. This thing is so powerfull that right now i´m using Nvidia´s DSR to increase the image quality and still the card seems to have plenty of performance to spare... Now i know what it means to have and use high end hardware.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  18. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 OC
    My worst card was without a doubt FX5600, it was my first PC (had other PCs before but it was from my brother).
    At the time it felt fine, even with Half Life 2 downgraded shaders for FX users, Far Cry 1 (demanding as hell) and DOOM (that required newer drivers, which at the time I had no ideia of wth was that).
    I brought that card in the summer of 2003 for 250$, at the end of 2005, I had to play FEAR at 640x480 all minimum and probably less than 30fps.
    Hitman Blood Money, completed the game with the absolute minimum settings and something like, what? 10FPS.
    NFS Most Wanted, while "playable", minimum settings, so it lasted 2 years, it was a big disappointment.
    I've felt that PCGaming was dumb and probably I was better off with a console, altough I've never brought it :D

Also honorable mention of a bad card: Powercolor HD 5770, died out of nowhere after 2 years and 1 month old, so basically I hadn't the right to send it to RMA.
    Never brought or recommended powercolor anymore.

Best so far: HD 7850 (my atual card), while it's old now (6 years old) it's still a mid-range card that cost me 260$ from gigabyte, temps don't go above 54c in the summer and winter don't go above 43c, I don't understand why this is happening since the TDP of the card is roughly 140w or something, but somehow don't overheat.
    Performance wise it still handles any game, I am able to play Battlefront II at 50FPS high settings 1080P, It's insane, or Project cars 2 at medium settings 1080P 60FPS locked no dropped frames.
    I was never expecting to keep a GPU for so long time, either because I was expecting it to die before, or simply because I was expecting that I would need to upgrade sooner, but that time never came, and yes some games like mafia 3 needs to run on low (while low it's pretty much the same as high settings graphics wise on that game) or wolfenstein 2 due to limited vulkan support

Very satisfied, also never had any relevant problem with AMD drivers which is something that people talk about, altough their tools it's another story, Relive recordings on the actual driver have audio corruption, it really pisses me off XD
    Also this card had a thing called zero core which would turn off the GPU when the screen was off, it started malfunctioning and the PC wouldn't wake up the card after monitor was turned back on.
    It was fixed 2 months after -.-, AMD just disabled that feature, and pretended it never existed LOL.
    Altough performance wise and stability never had any single problem.. same can be said with all the nvidia cards I had, with exception of my GT 740M of my laptop which drivers are super unstable.

Cheers

EDIT: I also had a 7600GT, not a bad card, but cooler died and I've never noticed, so it end up slowly killing the card after 2 years and something, it also felt bad that the 8000 series was so damn good one year after the 7000 series released.
    And now I still have a 9500GT that I brought after the 7600GT had died, as a cheap replacement, it's still alive, I've only used 1 year, and all those years have been changing from house to house of my friends everytime someone needs.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Solfaur likes this.
  19. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Yup, got my 9800GT for 100€ brand new, dem times :rolleyes:

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Worst card is a toss up between my 6950’s and my ill fated 7970. The award goes to my 7970 because it was a glorious disaster of a card. Not because of the Tahiti core but due to ASUS’s absolutely crap vBIOS on their custom cards at the time. Switched it out for a pair of 670’s after a week.

Best card was my 1070. It handled everything I threw at it like a champ (2560x1440 BTW) and when I sold it after a year I made money. Now I have a 1080ti and it’s an amazing card but I would honestly still be happy with a 1070.

airbud7 likes this.