Your view on the world in 100 years...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Sparx, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    What kind of GPUs are they going to have in 100 years? A 16 core GPU with 8 GB ram...I wonder what the standard amount of ram will be.

2. mcBu113t

mcBu113t Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX @635/1540/1060
    my guess is that tech will have evolved to the point where gaming takes such little processing power (cpu OR gpu) that no one will care about their hardware and pc will be sold for the future equivalent of $10-20 and all be the exact same components/performance in a totally proprietary/integrated system

/end guru3d in 100 yrs :(

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    research has been going on now for a while into growing or maybe cloning..i forget.. neurons to make a bio CPU. working similar to our own brains, it would beable to repair itself by rerouting the data to the necessary receptor sites...still all theory but at least some money is being put into it as it sounds like a interesting idea although if its anything like the human brain it would have errors in calculations.

but i dont think more cores on either gpu nor cpu is an answer to high speed computing in the future.

4. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    @ xrc6;

I am still not buying having a wirelessly accessible chip in your brain being safe. Obviously there would be vast amounts of research done in to protecting it, but all it takes is one person, just one, to get through and then the whole world can do it.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is not a thing on the planet that can not be hacked. If there was no fear of reprocussions, I'm sure any governmental protection could be hacked. Like I said, the hackers will always be either one step ahead, or only a small step behind.

To have a wireless chip in your head means having something that can output, and receive, signals. All it would take is maybe a different frequency, or differing intensity, and you have a big problem on your hands. Sure, the brain may not be a computer in the traditional sense, but it still is one.

5. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I find the idea quite repulsive and can't see how the benefits would ever outweigh the possible misuse and disastrous consequences there of. Personally i think Mr Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair) is turning in his grave.

Sure it always starts out as something that seemingly would be of great use, like to cure and help people with disabilities. But in the end i fear control is what it will be used for. I can also just see the rich living to be 250 years old and poor people dying at the age of 25 from malnutrition, pollution and sickness.

Simulation system, method and computer program for human augmentation devices
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1306792.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_basic_transhumanism_topics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_enhancement
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain-computer_interface
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_implants

http://www.thehumanfuture.org/themes/human_enhancement/background.html
    http://www.transhumanism.org/index.php/WTA/index/

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    you dont have to since no one can obviously really see into the future to know anything for sure. comes to pass or not its really quite irrelevant atm. i look to the past first before looking forward yet neither of us can be proven wrong nor right.

i'm sure in 1600 AD, an idea of moving pictures behind a layer of glass magically transported instantaniously from the opposite side of the world would yeild the exact same opposing opinions. that being hard to imagine cause listeners of the idea would be basing the theory off of 1600 AD technologies, limitations, educations and thought perspectives...rather linear i would say

theres a whole heck of alot else out there to be considered first...radio waves being one of them. digital circirtry...stuff that people back in say 1600 AD for example had no clue about..thats why i say "linear thought perspective"
    but we should all know by now that nothing is impossible.

based on....what, the world of today? sounds like your thinking about how the internet is now and transfering that limitation to the idea of a chip in your brain, so you know for sure that a virus software code can brainwash your neurons? i guess if your brain is running windows right?

but i think your depending on wiki a bit much, i dont put much trust in something proven to have words manipulated for corporate gains and towards biased perspectives. general purpose sure, but nothing that should be presented as "evidence"

7. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Based on what, your kidding right ? How about history.

I think you are downplaying the issues we are putting forth, just not sure why. If you can't see the negative that is your prerogative, but so far you haven't eased my mind either.

The links are just for information, take it as you like. Also if you find anything on wiki you know to be untruthful then correct it, it is luckily not written in stone.

8. 702Ferret

702Ferret Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gt oc
    Melting ice caps...blah blah blah.......earth in a lurch....blah blah blah.....I think this is the new religion, bow at Gores alter-confess your crimes against mother nature, after all he is the only one who can talk to her......on topic though I hope in 100 years that it will be like that video-Men Without Hats-Safety Dance....................

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i didnt say their wouldnt be negatives but didnt mention negative possibilities due to lack of knowing how the rest of future technology might be. if i downplayed opinions because i cant see how comparing todays world infrastructure is relative to one peice of tech. in 100 yrs from now, then likely cause i'm assuming todays world wont be the same in 100yrs.

it may not even be chip in brain but could be any small device, a contact lens maybe, (read PCworld latest issue about contacts being used as LCD's)..who knows but regardless i think instant information will be carried with us wherever we go accessed without being observed by others.

like i exampled before, grandpa had to walk through 6 miles of snow and that new fangdangled gadgets are rotting our brains. we'll likely have similar viewpoint about how are great gradkids are behaving, thinking or products they use.

then again, theres negatives to almost every technology today as it is. our current internet structure has many negatives, but if your living 100 yrs ago and hearing someone talk about this hypothetical "internet" in the future, the negative perspectives didnt change anything obviously and we have grown to accept it despite all the risks didnt we?
    thats mainly my point in my responses, is that we grow to accept things therefore evolve with technology.

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    there wont be oil if they are searching for alternative solution now, why would they still use it 100yrs later... makes no sense.

and i agree the world is gong to an end lol, we are destroying the planet and it wont be much left in 100yrs time. Abnormal weather conditions and high water, because all the ice will melt, etc..

we would probably colonize another planet :p, have flying cars, lol teleportation :D, ok not that but a very fast paced life, internet would be probably integrated into our brain, and we would have eye implants like in star trek- borgs to answer the phone etc...lolz

we will be half machines, and have tiny nano meter robots living in our body clearing all the garbage we consume so we can live longer ( this one might be true actually as i saw once that they're inventing nano healers to clear or destroy cancer cells in our body).

11. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    by that time, we would have a joint EU/US directorate which will control most of the worlds resources, china will crumble under the weight of its own success, africa will remain the worlds wasteland and the middle east will be abandoned.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i think the last of china's population will be dead from lead poisoning by licking too many playskool toys.

13. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    Thank God.

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I actually just caught this, and I have a reply.

LOL!!!!!!!!!gayanswer

15. Bleeq

Bleeq Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy (KFA2) 8800GT@ 733
    very True and its old news 2years old actually :

http://www.livescience.com/health/060327_neuro_chips.html

Also to the ppl out there fearing the matrix, Chip already help people with hearing for over a decade

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA151431.html

and Blindness may be cured for some people soon :

http://inventorspot.com/articles/bionic_eye_could_restore_sight_b_11581

All hail Microbrain!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008

16. Bleeq

Bleeq Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy (KFA2) 8800GT@ 733

O dont get me started on that Bull***...

We study temperature cycles for what 2000 years out of 6,000,000,000(and that is a g r e a t strech)

We have Core samples from Ice at the north pole from 650 thousand years ago (6,000,000 years BEFORE man) that show C02 in our atmosphere 4 times what is current and temperatures over 20 deg. of current.
    One major volcanic eruption throws more Particulate "pollution"(Includign heavy metals and radio active materials) in the atmosphere then 10 years of everyone driving a car in the world 24/7

I urge people to look up what unbiased non tree huggin scientists (i.e. nerds) have to say try to read through the BS of people like Al Gore who admitted in interviews you have to "exaggerate the truth of the problem to get people to act"

O well /rant off LOL

I love trees

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    No one is arguing with your points, all we are saying is that just because all of that is true, does not mean we should just merrily dump millions of tonnes of CO2, that wouldn't normally be there, in to the atmosphere.

"Hey, people have driven home far drunker than I am right now, so they can all STFU when they tell me not to drive drunk" kind of thinking will get you no where.

Surely you can't honestly sit there (or stand, if that's how you type) and say that mankind has had no effect what so ever on the world.

18. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    But how does lack of information and foresight make the possible outcome less likely to be bad ? You know the expression "hope for the best, but fear the worst", that is just it. IMHO you hope for the best, I fear the worst. I do agree we should meet halfway, but for now in this discussion, i will play devils advocate. ;)

As far as the brain implant go, i can personally very much see how todays worlds infrastructure and that a hundred years from now is relative to that single piece of technology. Again, we can try to make it all black and white, but the truth is usually more gray. I can see benefits, it is not like i don't understand the possible good application of technology, i guess i just don't trust people as much as you do. Look to history, in the wrong hands used for the wrong reasons, the idea of a brain implant can be frightful.

I did also mention this, but again only my fear is greater then your hope. To quote myself - "Sure it always starts out as something that seemingly would be of great use, like to cure and help people with disabilities. But in the end i fear control is what it will be used for.". And please take the word control in the right context, I'm not talking control of the mind though it is one horrific idea, but control of people through the distribution of goods, people slave for money now so maybe they will slave for needed body parts in the future. Maybe we will be more genetically damaged 100 years from now and everyone will need some part replaced, maybe even to survive. It sounds like a great market to have stocks in. :devil:
    I will keep playing the devils advocate. Information is power. Equal access, unbiased opinions, truths and lies can make and brake. Information and it's access is too important not to worry about. The subject is huge, but anyway here i think assuming the worst is simply the safest approach. Lets just hope you're right.

Acceptance does not make it good, or right. Cars are very useful, in fact by now the world "needs" them. Some say the benefits is worth the bad things it brings, be it the death of people, pollution or all the resources that just go into making roads and highways. If we back up to the brain implant again, then yes, in 100 years maybe we do all have a chip in the brain, and yes maybe we have all accepted it...but that is not to say it's right.

I think that is enough negativity for now lol :)

19. Ex4000

Ex4000 Master Guru

GPU:
    2600XT
    "hugs Bleeq" i can't stand when people blab on about crap without no evidence, ffs England had vineyards 1000 years ago

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    so who thinks Liquor will still be sold in glass bottles in 100yrs?
    some things will probably never change

yeah,yeah, its gettn old now, your making too much out of someones personal hypothesis, wether it comes to pass or not, neither you nor i could stop it. i'll be dead so i wont care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.