Your thoughts on the GameStop and Robinhood debacle?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Airbud, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Airbud

Airbud Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 XLR8
    If you have heard anything about stocks in the past day, it was probably about how the stock of the retail chain GameStop shot up over a thousand percent, fueled by small traders who gather online. Well, today, the price went the other way when several popular platforms blocked trading of GameStop stock. They also stopped trading of other stocks that had been skyrocketing as well, which feels like a betrayal to the very investors who had been using these platforms to power their rally.

GameStop Corp is a down-on-its-luck video game retailer targeted by hedge fund managers who bet that the company’s shares would fall. Using an online forum on Reddit, a posse of individual investors strategized a way to fight those hedge funds...score this one investors 1, hedge funds 0. GameStop shares have soared like a rocket, while hedge funds lost billions of dollars.

David vs. Goliath story?

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  2. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    It'll archieve nothin in the long run. The internet will just be more censored imo. The govs worldwide will make new internet laws to protect stocks against 'virtual gatherings of flashmobs with the intent to do harm to legit stocks' or something.

They will make it legal.

tfam26 and Airbud like this.
  3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    It's nice to see the white collar criminals get a dose of their own medicine. I don't think it'll make a big difference in the long run but a spotlight on market manipulation is a good thing.

GarrettL, jbscotchman and Airbud like this.
  4. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    DocStr4ngelove and Airbud like this.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No.
    It's completely unlikely that lions would let carrions eat the injured cow, once they smell the blood.
    And once they smell the blood (using PFOF arrangements with Robinhood which tells them in advance where to point their HTF algos), bones will be all that's left for carrions.

Using your analogy it was Goliath vs. Goliath, with David as a fig leaf.
    I am saying it "was" because Melvin Capital and Citron closed their shorts, so no more bones, just free-for-all. Which is not even free, nor it ever was.

Meanwhile in the lawfully governed economy:

6. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    This is the guy who started the "rally".He sold his story&image to WSJ,ofc for a price.
    [​IMG]

Ofc,meanwhile he got this and ofc the price is very high for the gamblers&specu.Now because people are so bored and have so much money,because lockdown,
    some dude(s) think its a good ideea to make much bigger profits from noobs and stock gamblers.Now we will see who have some cash to pay the debts.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  7. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Tis all very amusing.

tfam26 likes this.
  8. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Well, it would be a good way to hide yet another massive white collar robbery and serve as one of many scapegoats for the upcoming financial collapse. *shrug*

The way the market has swung like a milked udder during Cooties19 has proven that its more than obviously rigged and doesn't matter anyway.

Do I even have to state how much this guy looks like an actor?

1. As if the trigger words "basement", "stream" and "Youtube" to seem relatable, and the arm and head bands weren't enough for red flags from just reading the article...

2. Who do you know that would pose like that for a picture that isn't being completely controlled? A guy with enough knowledge to make eff-you money by beating the system?

3. Why isn't he streaming in this "basement" in any of his videos but instead a well lit room with a window, unless he recently moved?

4. Is it normal for a successful investor to live in a standard Eastern US suburb and stream out of a basement? The guy is a father and there's a lot better places to raise a family especially if you're an investor/streamer who can work anywhere.

5. What possible reason could a FATHER have to put his face out there like this after pissing off the executive level finance world? Of course, we all know they play extremely nice with people who mess with their money...

6. Oh and his first video was from 6 months ago.

I mean...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2021
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Those were my thoughts exactly when I heard about this.

Airbud likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i mean.... congress is already talking about asserting penalties against robin hood for apparently illegal behavior.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yep. How dare internet peasants try to make money.

XenthorX and Airbud like this.
  12. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Now I’m reading that there’s a connection between a Robinhood executive and one of the hedgefunds?

*shrugs... guess this is why I just sell cigarettes down the block ... simpler things for a simpler time for simple men eh heh heh ... heh’

Airbud likes this.