Your thoughts on Final Fantasy VII

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Tamika, Jul 7, 2005.

1. brouhaha

brouhaha Member

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 6800GT
    I'm also of the opinion that FF7 just isn't as good as a number of other console RPGs I've played, but I liked FF8 far less. I don't think FF7 got overrated though, people do have differing opinions. My main problems with the game were the story, which I understood - and the game had a number of very cool scenes - but it failed to impress anything epic into me, as well as the customization. The materia system made your party extremely customizable, which I loved, but none of the characters felt very unique outside of the storyline. Sure, Barrett shot with his hand, Cloud sliced with his sword, etc, but powers were determined by materia. I loved the uniqueness in FF6(3 USA - my absolute favorite next to Xenogears) where there was the one thief who was majorly cool, the one engineer which rocked, one guy who had the unique blitz attack, etc.

Still, the music was grand (I have 3 versions of the soundtrack) and like I said, there were a fair number of awesome scenes. Plus the variety of materia out there really let you tailor the party, but the game becomes way too easy at that point, even if you don't find the hidden materia/limit breaks. I didn't find it as enjoyable as a number of others, but I still found it a pretty good game.

2. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    FF7 is the best if you dont love the game after disk 1 something is wrong with you.

3. sh33p

sh33p Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D x800pro | 474/491
    Yeah disk 1 is poo, after that things get much better.

Im just about to go into the temple of the ancients..with an under leveled aeris :(

oh well she'll catch up, and then die anyway lol :D

4. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    Oh man, I had a fishing addiction in Breath of Fire 3! That game was real fun, but I accidently broke my cd and I can't play anymore.

Hey, way to spoil things for him sh33p! You should edit that out.

As for FF7 though: It was love at first sight for me. I remember seeing the commercials for it back in '97 and I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. I was right.

I can vouch for the confusing story though. I think barrett said halfway through the game "I've been here from the start and I still don't know what the hell is going on!"

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005

5. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    seriously i loved ff7 it was like magic to me. it was the reason i bought the playstation

6. zenkmander

zenkmander Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 7950
    Yep. As you can tell by my avatar and sig, I was and still am absolutely dazzled by Final Fantasy VII. Not just because the graphics were superb at the time, but more because the story is excellent in itself.

7. sh33p

sh33p Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D x800pro | 474/491
    hey my post didnt reveal anything other than the name of a place, he's not gonna know when that place comes up in the story.

aeris is always the least used though, such a weak fragile thing :p

ive been playing it all day 2day cept for now, its good fun specially when u deliberately make the game more challenging for yourself.

8. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    The end of disk one is quite possibly the most depressing moment in gaming history "ever". I actually had to stop playing for a few hours and go back to it. :bawl:

...Christ I'm pathetic LoL

9. zenkmander

zenkmander Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 7950
    I was the same way. I cried. :D

10. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB
    FF7 was the reason for me to actually buy a PSX. :p And it still rocks! Did you know there will be a FF7 remake for the PS3??? Those gfx rocked! Cloud looks even MORE cooler. :)

11. zenkmander

zenkmander Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 7950
  12. MastA

MastA Guru3d's P.I.M.P.

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC AGP
    man FF7 was amazing in the beginning such a great storyline and a great world

13. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    well, he's gonna know what happens to her now.... :(

And hey, I used aeris all the time! I was so pissed (depressed :p) when she bit it. She was one of my stongest characters. she had all kinds of summons and strong healing magic and ****. that bitch was tough.

14. sh33p

sh33p Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D x800pro | 474/491
    my post didnt refer to anything like that, you are the one that just revealed it :D

im at the beginning of disk 2 now ive not realy played it much except for yesterday..cos ive been spending as much atime as possible outside xD

oh and as for disk 1 being a heart crunchin disk for alot of people, i suppose it was *wasnt for me but i can be heartless at times* but as i said, it can be poo at times :p and what annoys me is disk 2 i think but i wont reveal much on that front.

[EDIT] i should have really quoted the whole of your post but oh well :p and also Aeris at times can be useful but i still say shes useless :D

15. Hajile

Hajile Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d FX 5900xt
    It was the first RPG that i've actually played so there wasn't much for me to compare it to, but it was the first one with a storyline that was actually touching (I'm a bookworm then, i textworm now :p ). Especially the flashback to what really happened in the reactor. Awwww cute :)

@Keitosha
    LINK PLEASE!!!

EDIT: Took out spoilers

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005

16. sh33p

sh33p Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D x800pro | 474/491
    That is actually not true, they converted a short demo showing off the PS3 capabilities using FF7 as an example of how you can convert a very old game with not so great graphics (although great graphics for its time) into something that has excellent graphics.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it has been confirmed that it's not happening, although in the future who knows and for sure it would be..just f-ing brilliant. :D

17. Hajile

Hajile Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d FX 5900xt
    @sh33p
    All the same. LINK PLEASE!!! Atleast give me a link for the video! :D

18. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB
    Google for it. Sony showed the PS3 FF7 tech demo at E3, so it wouldn't be difficult to find something. ;)

I think Fileplanet has the tech demo....

EDIT: Tech Demo at Gamespot

19. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

remake FF7 and FF8 and i'll be happy

20. sh33p

sh33p Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D x800pro | 474/491
    That demo looks very impressive, I think they should do a remake, even if it is for the PS3 which is not even out yet.

I think someone should do a petition and get as many people to sign it as possible, if they can get that far as to make a tech demo with just the beginning animation (and i must say, that is a bloody good start) then surely they can do the rest :D

Even if people have bought the old version for their pc's and playstations, whats to stop people buying it all over again with improved graphics I certainly would, just imagine the battle scenes :D