Your Ryzen processor warranty states you may only use the stock cooler

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Quite possibly just a safety legal term, just in case is ever needed in some case.

3. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    *freedom of choice* ahahaha
    just like the poor volta thing *graphic power for the masses* - - - > because of miner our sh**est card cost 600$, we are sorry, we can't do anything, bye.

dont know it this make me laugh or cry

4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    What kind of a joke is that?

I remember when Intel didn't recommend running their CPUs outside of their specs and everyone was mental about it. Now you're voiding your warranty if you don't use that crap AMD cooler? Jokes.

Meh, it's not like AMD will ever know if I use my own cooler, it's a weird reply from them to say the warranty is void if you use a 3rd party one, yet they won't be able to say anyway. Sometimes it's best not to comment, AMD.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn : This made me to open 2700X box before getting MB.
    And Yes, It is written there this way:
    "Use only the heatsink/fan provided. Use of any other heatsink/fan will void the warranty."

Anyway it states, that I have to have valid and verified serial number too. So no throwing Box into trash... What a drag.

@metagamer : I would not call direct-CU-heatpipe-heatsink AMD bundled with 2700X crap.
    If CPU works moment I put it into MB, then I do not need warranty anyway. I did burn few CPUs, mostly in era where overvoltage require soldering. So that's about accepting that It burned due to my own actions.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Maddness and airbud7 like this.
  6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I've never seen nor heard of a processor going bad.

StewieTech likes this.
  8. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I had a sketchy 4790k a few months ago. It wouldn't boot past the BIOS on any board but the one it came with and that board only booted with vcore at 1.4v :eek:.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    So, what about the CPUs without stock coolers?
    As stupid as this is, it isn't anything to worry about. AMD has no way of enforcing this. Even overclocking (which also voids warranty) is unrealistically difficult to prove on a wide scale, and most retailers tend to accept returns/RMAs regardless of what happened.
    All of AMD's stock AM4 coolers are actually pretty good, even the low-end models have sufficient coolers. Unless you intend to overclock or want an ultra-silent system, the stock coolers are very much adequate, even for XFR speeds. When it comes to AMD's AM3(+) and FM2(+) heatsinks... yeah, those were outright terrible.

chispy likes this.
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Stock cooler is fine. Just dont OC. Not worth it OC'ing some chips anyway. The 2700x barely OC's 100-200mhz (above turbo clock ) even with the better Corsair LC H110. So most logical thing is to run it at stock clocks, stock cooler and save yourself the trouble of added heat, power and effort just to achieve a measly gain in performance.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Even at stock, with a better cooler you will see load temps 20C lower than with the stock cooler so why run hotter than needed? I would be throwing it in the bin the second it comes out the box.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Uh... so what if the temps are 20C higher with the stock cooler? It's still within a very healthy temperature, and the stock cooler isn't that loud even when the CPU is under full load...
    Have you actually seen the box coolers for Ryzens?

Ridiric likes this.
  13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Well, if you're happy with 65C instead of 45C, that's fine. I would not be happy with that. If it's fine with you, cool, I have of course no issues with that. But for me, it's a no go.

14. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    But where's the fun in that. It has always been one of the most enjoyable things to do witrh a new setup. Seeing what clocks you can get without insane voltage. It's the cheapest way to get a high end CPU.

Ridiric likes this.
  15. yeeeman

yeeeman Member

GPU:
    9600GT 512mb
    Like CPUs are fried every day. I never saw any fried CPU in 10 years and I saw a LOT of them. You can fry it if you overclock it too high or in some very unfortunate combination of faulty motherboard. In general, CPUs have a good reliability.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    But why? What's the point of running at 45C, if 65C has effectively no practical impact on the lifespan of the CPU? A CPU can even retain stability at 85C (assuming you aren't overclocking).
    Also from what I've seen, the stock heatsinks rarely get the CPU that hot. Look at benchmarks involving the stock heatsinks of various Ryzen models and you'll find most of the reviewers will say it is satisfactory, which is pretty un-heard of.

Again, if you're trying to overclock or reduce noise, then yes, definitely replace the heatsink. But like I said, even the stock heatsinks aren't that noisy.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    signex and Ridiric like this.
  17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    What?

Ridiric likes this.
  18. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    I'm actually interested in your reasoning on wanting 45c over 65c, for example if the stock cooler ran at 65c at the clock speeds you were happy with, and an aftermarket cooler ran at 45c at the same clocks, and lets assume the noise levels were the same, why would you want to spend extra money to run it at 45c over 65c? you get no performance increase, its still producing the same amount of thermal energy so its not like its gonna make your room or case any cooler, and both temperatures are well within the safety region of the CPU's operating temperatures (i mean i honestly dont even think there would be a CPU life expectancy increase between those two thermals as 65c is waaaay outside of the danger zones you typically see reduced component life expectancy with), i honestly see no reason why you would want to spend the extra cash for an aftermarket cooler in that situation.

If you want an aftermarket cooler because the stock cooler is incapable of cooling the processor at the clock speeds you want to achieve well then that's fair enough, especially in intels case where stock coolers are often incapable of even sustaining max boost clocks in many cases, or if you wanted to be able to run quieter at the same or better thermals that's reasonable as well, but as far as i know unless you are pushing overclocks, all of the AMD boxed coolers cool the CPU's well inside specification and are fairly quiet and in the case of the 2700x you can even overclock on it as long as you don't go crazy with the voltage.

**looks like a bunch of other people basically posted the same thing as i was writing this wall of text lol... i gotta learn to make shorter posts... or type faster**

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I'm a fan of getting the most out of my system. Example, if my gpu is audible or runs over 70C, I'm not happy and I'll try to find a way to reduce the noise and heat. I don't like loud and hot things. In the case of this CPU, there is zero chance I would run it with the stock cooler when a £30 cooler can reduce the temps quite considerably. Plus, I already have a cooler that would allow me to run it even cooler than than and make no audible noise. That's just me. Actually, that's a lot of us on here, I'm sure.

If it doesn't bother you, that's fine, of course running it at 65C under load won't do any harm, but it would irk me, personally.

CalculuS and Ridiric like this.
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    See my post above ;)

Ridiric likes this.