Your Quad HD 2560x1440 Monitor Could Actually have an Ultra HD Resolution Panel

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    yasamoka likes this.
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I hope display reviewers expose the companies that do this. Proper 2560x1440 panels at native res (1:1) is what buyers pay for and should expect to get.

yasamoka and Robbo9999 like this.
  3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Bad move, who wants to end up with a monitor that's not displaying in it's native resolution, resulting in blurriness you didn't pay for!

yasamoka and Solfaur like this.
  4. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Extremely bad behavior from corporations. Not only this but now it is clear that the memory manufacturers have created illegal cartels.

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Name the models.

yasamoka likes this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    OK, this is really D* move. Those selling screens this way should offer either full refund or firmware update making it natively 4K.

yasamoka likes this.
  7. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    So who has the balls to publish the said scum manufacturers and the models affected?
    I don't pay to buy blurry image.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  8. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Am i the only one that would then buy the 4k monitor board off from ebay?

9. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Probably, LOL :)
    Sounds like a lot of research and risk for something that might not work at all...

Its bad news for everyone. Monitors aren't changed as often as PC's, I tend to keep my monitor for a couple or three PC's at least, or when I decide its time to up the res. I expect its the same for a lot of people, if not most.

10. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Samsung CHG70 27" and 32" Freesync 2 monitors support 4K on console like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Did you read the post before you commented?

The topic is (1) 1440p monitors that (2) accept a 1440p input signal yet (3) use a 4K panel due to economies of scale and (4) upscale 1440p to 4K to achieve that.

The monitors you mentioned are (1) 1440p monitors that (2) accept a 4K input signal and (3) use a 1440p panel as specified and (4) downsample 4K to achieve higher compatibility with consoles, less aliasing, and a smoother image (all of course boiling down to whether the console itself renders natively at 4K or upscales to that).

Furthermore, these are 144Hz monitors, and 4K 144Hz 27" and 32" are neither available publicly (27" is exclusive to the 4K 144Hz G-Sync HDR monitors) nor subject to economies of scale (niche market so far), so it wouldn't make sense to have these monitors even attempt to use a 4K panel in place of the intended 1440p 144Hz one.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  12. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Surely no interpolation and just a simple downscale?

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Without interpolation, downscaling at non-integer ratios (like 4K->1440p) is going to look distorted. And even when downscaling at integer ratios (like 4K->1080p), you still should interpolate, otherwise you lose three quarters of the pixel information. Interpolation when downscaling is good. It improves the image. 4K DSR (or VSR) on a 1080p monitor looks great, for example. Better than just plain 1080p. That's due to interpolation.

Interpolation when upscaling however is what produces blur. Which is what's happening here. They upscale 1440p to 4K, and since it's not an integer ratio, they need to interpolate to avoid distortion.

The problem gets amplified on the desktop even more because of LCD sub-pixel font anti-aliasing (called "ClearType" by Microsoft.) ClearType needs your LCD screen to run at its native res, otherwise it makes text worse. A really bad decision by these monitor manufacturers to do this.

Robbo9999, yasamoka and Fox2232 like this.
  14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I will probably never notice the difference, even if my 1440p screen would in reality be 4K.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You definitely would. A non-native resolution being displayed is always noticeably blurry.

yasamoka likes this.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I meant it more from the point, I don't now try to find out what my display has, and buy another one that's not 4K or that is 4K, just to see the difference. With my single screen I can't compare it. Besides, nothing you can do after buying such a screen, is there? I don't think there's any claim for RMA or giving back the screens here.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Set your desktop to 1080p and you will probably get the idea. It kind of sticks out. Especially the fonts. ClearType will ruin the appearance of text if your run a non-native res.

yasamoka likes this.
  18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Probably so I would notice, yes. Still, I won't buy a new screen, even if I found out my current one (Acer XB270HU) would have one of those gimped 4K panels. As the monitor for me works fine, only with the next upgrade to 4K (and the extra shenannigans) I'll probably see that improvement. It's not like I couldn't afford to buy a new one, but to be honest, as it's my first screen above 1080p, I'm more than happy with it, even if it maybe could be just a bit better.

19. Bojan

Bojan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    You paid for a qhd monitor. Its resolution peak is 1440p and it would operate the best at this resolution. If its panel is 4k, you will not enjoy the best representation of image, its quality would suffer in this way. So, yeah, there is a legal claim to RMA since you have been mislead into buying something you didn't asked for and since the representation of the product is certainly misleading, its called a fraud.

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, tell that to the normal retailer. Have fun going to court for that. Feel free to help me even finding out what's inside my screen.
    I'm looking at it from a practical side, it's just not worth the hassle, even though you guys are all right of course.

edit: I tried to find out, will have to do a proper search at home, but as far as I can tell, at least the first batch of Acer XB270HU screens had a 1440p panel, not a 4K one.