Your "How you became a gamer" story

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Mkilbride, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    For me; it was like 1999 or so...I had begged my parents to get a computer, because at school we played Math Blaster, and I fell absolutely in love with it, also the Oregon Trail was great. Such fun.

So I get the Computer and am now stumped(I was 10 years old)at where do I obtain Math Blaster? I tried searching for it around the Internet, and I looked at stores but didn't see it any any shelves. Frustrating for me as a kid.

Then I was googling around and found a game called Dink Smallwood, which looked cooooooooooooooooool. Problem being was, the download was about 600MB or so...and would take 9 hours to download at my then dial up 56k connection, so basically for 9 hours no one could use the phone...ahah, and my parents wouldn't let me leave the computer on over-night.

I was a sad panda, then. Found some game that I think was some MMORPG I can't remember right now, Rose Online comes to mind, but Wiki says that was 2005...odd. Was a huge download also, like 800MB. It was not going to happen with Dial Up.

So then my cousin was visiting down, and we were talking on the phone before he came over and he said he had this great game he burned me a copy of(yeap, back then, it was all the rage. :p)

So I looked up this game...Diablo. It looked like Dink Smallwood, I was so excited, he brought it over and we played all day & night, and the next day and after he left I just kept playing it like...every chance I got, when I wasn't at school or eating or sleeping, I'd play Diablo.

We played it for so long, for me, who had thought Math Blaster was the pinnacle of PC Video gaming, it was a HUGE "WHOA" moment.

Then, in 2000, I download the demo for a game called...Starcraft

About 30 minutes after playing the Demo, my father was going to Walmart and I said I wanted to go with him, found Starcraft on the shelf and begged him to buy it, and he did...well, there went another addiction, I was thrust into the world of RTS. (Also discovered Red Alert that year)

In 2001, Diablo II was found to exist, and I wrote up a three page essay to my father upon why I needed the game. Haha, yeah.

In 2003, my cousin again told me of another game he had recently gotten; Warcraft III, and told me it was a follow up to some game I had played with him when I was way younger(Guess SC wasn't my first RTS, just the first I remember really)

I got WarCraft III with some birthday money and loved it, as the game was booting up, I saw a Logo, "Blizzard Entertainment".

I suddenly realized all of my favorite games were made by the same developer, it was like "Wow...these must be the Gods of Gaming"

Ever since then I've been a really hardcore gamer(though I dislike WoW).

What is the story of how you "became a gamer"

2. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    I got my intro into gaming with the Atari 2600 when it first came out. Poing and asteroids were awesome. I got bit by the gaming bug then and have not looked back. Currently completing a degree that will hopefully allow me to work in the industry that I love.

So far the only genre that I have not gotten into is MMO's. Just find them dull. Sports and driving games are also on my list of do not play or not often enough to count.

I have seen video games evolve a great deal in my almost 30 years in playing them. Most changes have been for the better. The only bad trend I see now is how multi-player only or focused seem to be the main focus of a lot of companies. While that brings in income, does it really build a fan base? Jury is still out in my opinion.

Looking forward to the future of games and what new things will come to pass.

3. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Super Mario on Terminator console, which basically was a clone of the NES..it was the first game i finished..played so many games on that console (nostalgia).

4. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    When I was three years old, my family played Mortal Kombat 2 and such with me. I remember playing Donkey Kong series, Mario, Star Fox, all the Nintendo classics. My favorite of all time though being Zelda: Orcania Of Time later on.

Then my Dad decided to buy a PlayStation for me (Himself), and I found the game Final Fantasy 7. I played that every day until I fell asleep usually.

Sadly, I didn't have any friends at school. I would just walk around in circles and such and talk to myself. (I'm not pathetic like this anymore lol) I later ran into a random kid that asked me if I have ever heard of a game called Final Fantasy 7, and I literally went into convulsions with happiness lol.

They're still my group of best friends to this day, so... I guess you could say gaming has majorly had it's hand over my life. It's what even lead me to want to become a Network Administrator when I get older.

5. Alcom

Alcom Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 1gb
    I got the bug with my Atari 2600 as well. Another friend had a Colleco around that time, so I was fully hooked at about 5. I got my first computer at 8 (an Apple 2) and loved to find games for it. I remember Deathsword, Rescue Raiders and a cool helicopter simulator called Thunderchopper.

I had consoles too, but when I started playing online with NHL 1998 I never looked back. My love for online community truly grew with Unreal Tournament in 1999 when I joined a clan.

With my own family now, my time restricts me to casual gamer hours but that didn't stop me from getting most of the achievements in Left 4 Dead, including all but about 4 of the original maps in Survival mode for gold medals (10 minutes + vs. a non-stop horde.)

6. thecake90

thecake90 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    I have been gaming since I was a little kid, with a black and white mac computer oddly enough :p
    Nowadays I don't game as much as I used to, stupid uni is sucking too much of my time!

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I got a NES in 1988 and was instantly addicted to Mario and Duck Hunt.
    My first PC game was actually Mad Dog Mcree in 1990. Then shortly after that, my mom brought home a floppy disc from work that had Commander Keen and Wolfenstein 3d on it. I was hooked again. I still remember making my mom wait outside with me at my local CompUSA when Doom came out because I was too young to buy it.

8. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    in 1982 started playing space invaders, lunar lander and the like.

Was amazing.

then onto game and watch, and space invaders on calculator, then vic 20 and commodore 64 ,Amiga etc etc etc.

Gone through pretty much the lot to tell the truth.

I still play games to date, but not so much nopw, as got to the boerdom point, although its taken at leat almost 30 years of gaming.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    in the late 80s my dad asked me and my brother if we wanted a VCR or a gaming console. We both wanted to game so we got one of those ATARI 2600 consoles. It was amazing. Next thing was Amiga 600, those were the best gaming days of my life, I have played more classics on that than on my PC (and I've been a PC gamer since the early 90s). I loved my Amiga.

Now I game on my PC and PS3. It's a good setup, it's a shame that it's almost impossible for the devs to come up with something that would grab me by the balls (MGS4 was last game like that).

10. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix
    I got into gaming first with the NES. Playing Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Duck Hunt, etc.
    Later on when the N64 came out I really got into it, having all nighters at friends houses playing Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and so on. Loved it.

I got to be a PC gamer first with Doom on an old IBM PC with Win 95. I was still young so it didn't really hit me until a little later on with Half-Life and TFC. After that I loved PC gaming and still do way more than I'll ever love a console. (Although N64 is still badass IMO.)

11. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    I think it was some kind of Atari, most of my games were an cassette tape. But my first real love of gaming was when I got an Amiga that came with a 10 pack of games which included Barbarian, Thundercats, Buggy Boy, Infinity Wars and some other classics. I miss my Amiga, it had such style. I remember getting Shadow Of The Beast in a huge box that came with a t-shirt and other goodies.... ah Psygnosis whatever happened to them? And the Bitmap Brothers?

12. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I always played games going back to the early 90s but i was not huge on it cause i had my sega. It all started when my dad won a sweeps steaks n we got diablo 1, you dont know jack, and level 7 game demos cd. I was actually not really interested in installing diablo cause the box kinda scared me. I decided one to to try it, i walked around tristram, talked to everyone till they didnt have any new things to say, and set out for the dungeon. well my warrior got slaughtered in the first great hall which was about 50 feet in game lol. i decided **** that n didnt play for a month and gave it a shot again n the rest is history.

13. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    At 1992-3 i "played" (in fact just writing, but for me was like playing xD) with my dad's ms-dos work-PC which was ****ing old and expensive at its time... (HDD was a big box outside the PC).

At 1994 i got NES :p. And then played SNES with some friends.

at 1996 (had 7 years old) i watched a guy play PC and my dad bought one of those "Laptops for kids" we used to have, which had some games too. Altho i have to say it was kinda advanced... you could program on basic :p (my first language ^_^).

After all my parents saw that i liked PCs and such. Bought me a real PC and i started playing age of empires 2 and fifa 98 and such... and now im finishing computing engenieering haha, the story of my life :/.

Gaming was alltogether with my addiction to PCs :p.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    My gaming "addiction" started thanks to my older brothers. When we were little kids, my older brother, i´m the youngest of 3, decided that he wanted a computer and started asking my father for one, with no luck at first. Then my middle brother also started asking my father for the computer and finnaly my father, tired of my brothers "bitching" about the computer, decided to buy one to shut them up. I was just a little kid so i had no idea what a computer was..., still i tagged along when we went to buy the computer, a Spectrum!!!
    I can still remember the first time my older brother turned on the Spectrum and loaded a tape (game). I couldn´t believe that we could control that huge coloured polygons, at the time, and play with them. It was probably the most magical moment of my time! And since then, i´ve been playing videogames although right now, i´m a little tired of them, they just seem all the same...

The irony of my story, is that my brothers, the reason why i like games, no longer game, so sad...

15. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Friend gave me Half-Life.

Then MOH Allied Assault but my comp couldn't play it... So i bought new one and etc.

16. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    mmmm i just wanted to play tic tac toe, but JOSHUA had other ideas.....

17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Started with the classic, Atari 2600...
    But, my love for PC gaming really came about thanks to games like the original Duke Nukem, Commander Keen... and a few others.
    But it was Wolfenstein 3D that finally, completely hooked me in. After playing all six episodes of the game, I followed PC gaming and specifically, the "new" genre of FPS rather closely. Grabbing up titles like Blake Stone... eventually Doom and others like Rise of the Triad... it became a rather large hobby of mine.

But, with the release of Duke Nukem 3D... and soon after BLOOD... I knew I would be into it for a long, long time.

But, you could say that my love for PC gaming (specifically FPS) falls onto 3DRealms (Apogee) and id Software. I blame them. ;)

18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    PC Started for me with games like Doom, Rise of the Triad and Civilization.. only games I played before on other computers were in school with the oldschool orange and green monitors lol

Gaming in general though started with the atari with classics like pitfall, asteroids, adventure, fathom.. SO many great games.. loved that console!

19. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    All i remember was i saw a PONG game on a friends tv. Began to ask around in school and found somebody to play PACMAN with.

Then C64 came, then Amiga, then PC in 1992.

Next stop: DOOM in 1994. Got me hooked into FPS and was never cured ever since. Damn you iD. :D

Rebel Assault forced me to buy my 1st CDROM (Double spin lol). Lucasarts was kickin ass back then.

Then NFS (got me into LANs), Rainbow6 (some of the best coop sessions ever), AvP (i was the only Alien player on LANs, everyone else got headaches), Xwing vs TIE (endless debates how to solve the bloody Balance of Power missions).

I think with Oblivion and GTA4 we reached the top. I fail to see something that would mark the next step in future gaming. 3D had its chance years ago and never made it. DX11 is a fail. Maybe movement controllers are the next step, but they need to become far more better than they are atm.

We'll see.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  20. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    i saw Doom on my mates pc and bought 2nd hand pc out of the paper, it came with HL and a voodoo 2 Graphics card (PCI) and an ST Nitro AGP 2d card.

HL sucked me in, i had a PS1 at the time and this thing blew it away, ive nver reall been able to play console games again :( i find console games just lack depth and i like 1st person games not just shooters, id love an original Resident Evil that scared the crap out of me with updated graphics and 1st person view and all the puzzles. oh the good old days.