Your Fist PC Cock ups. . . How bad was it?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by biglonglenthman, Jan 28, 2008.

1. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    Hey all,

Im just curious here, i mean i was thinking were did my knowledge of PC's come from and what was my fist cock up that taught me a big lesson.

Well my first major mistake was buying a 6600GT and putting it in a system with a 800MHz AMD Duron, 256Mb RAM and a 300w PSU.

I soon realized that it was too much for the PSU when after 2hrs of GTA III the PC made a rather nasty noise and turned off. . . . All i remember after that was lots of fire and a rather burnt PSU :p

So come on Guru's what was your fist ever PC Blunder? the one thing that really made you think "WTF am i doing"

EDIT - Apologies for the title my keyboard is playing up and it missed a letter :(

2. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    when i was 14 i bought 6 sticks of 512mb ram for 60 quid thinking hell this is great deal then they didnt work.

Abit motherboard from OCUK clearance wouldnt recognize any CPU so that was dead no refund either

2900pro broke when i installed watercooling on it wrong core started to burn smell of fire was coming from card luckily it didnt damge any other components i checked the core and it smelled like really bad electrical burining and was brown so i rma'd it to ebuyer they gave me my money back =)

video 7 22" monitor i bought from OCUK died no picture took six months to replace after 20+ calls to them

2gb of geil 800mhz ram 183 quid just 10 months on get for 29 quid

new monitor has dead pixel

flashed card with wrong bios still works though luckily

watercooling setup had to drain it, let go of tube by accident a whole tubs worth of lfeser one cooling fluid went all over me and the floor
    few more but brings me to many bad memories..

3. NN1T1NN

NN1T1NN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 (700/1200)
    well i built my system two weeks ago so this is recent memory, i didn't really have any huge blunders but one little one that caused some commotion.

I had just finished installing all components and connected everything(or so i thought) turned it on and inserted windows cd and it said press enter to continue hit enter nothing hit it again nothing. I was like what is wrong. I checked everything again and then realized, oops how could i hit enter if my keyboard was not connected. :) yeah i know not that big a deal but hey that is a good thing that that is my only blunder.

4. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    hmm... wow... I actually don't think I made any major physical mistakes. But I have gone through a couple hours of reinstalling XP and wasn't until I started installing games that I realized it was on the wrong hard drive. I've also wipped a couple hard drives by mistake during an XP reinstall. Only one time though did I lose anything important and didn't have backups... That was a nightmare.

But as far as hardware I guess I've just been lucky and never really made any boneheaded mistakes. *crosses fingers*

5. biglonglenthman

GPU:
    Ouch your ordeals are worse then mine. . . i do however remember i was trying to change over CPU and it slipped out of my hand :(

Bent sooo many pins, i sat there with a Stanley knife and put the all 100% straight, long live intel and there pinless CPU's :p

6. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    1. I installed a $70 mainboard in a gateway case, missing the non standardized standoff. This fried it.

2. I bought a 5500FX from best buy without knowing anything about the graphics card market. (about 4 years ago)

3. At my first job there was a label printer housed in a slightly modified computer case, I mistook this for the computer and complained that I couldn't find the power on button... The computer case was located under the desk.

7. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Oh wait... I remember one boneheaded thing I did... I had a power cable and the end was messed up. So I got a replacement end at a hardware store. Took my wirecutters out and cut the wires BAMM! Oh yeah! It helps if I unplug it from the wall first! lol

I was 14 or 15 years old at that time. Needless to say, I gained a lot of respect for electricity after that. lol

8. senior98

senior98 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 8800GT 512mb
    Buying a FX5500 from Wal-Mart for $140. I came home and took a look on newegg to find out I could have gotten a 6600GT for less. Tears followed.

9. demon148

demon148 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 512mb 8800GT
    well Mine was when my father bought a 486 computer, I was like 15/16. He bought a ISA soundcard with CD rom drive, I fitted the soundcard, ok I fitted the cd rom drive in and switched on the computer and it wouldn't work, so I took the drive out and the soundcard, put it back the way it was and it still didn't work. My father called an engineer out and said that some one had been in the computer because the IDE cable in the cd drive was the wrong way around, my father was angry when he got the bill in.

10. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I "upgraded" my ti4200 to a 5200 ultra

11. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    After some trouble in a rig I decided to try a new PSU, when that failed I pressed "power" repeatedly out of frustration until the PSU sparked, smoked, and wouldn't start up anymore. I'd had it out of the box for about 10 minutes.

And this isn't really a PC issue but when I was young young young I had one of those Radioshack circuit boards where you wire everything together. I didn't have the correct batteries so I took two wires, connected them haphazardly to the battery jacks and plugged them into the wall. Yikes.

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    1. Had an old 486 dx board, tried to plug in a dx2 66mhz processor, it fried the cpu.

2. Bought my first setup (p1 166mhz) and wanted to set it all up myself, plugged the memory modules in the wrong way round and fried the board.

13. mblue

mblue Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800GTX+ 512 sli
    Running a K62-300 with no tim, was surprised it worked and even overclocked.

14. NobleKnight51

NobleKnight51 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB PCI-E
    Only one.

Two years ago I was the proud owner of a 6800nu 128mb AGP (x4 mind you) video card that complimented my old socket 478 2.55 ghz p4 with 1gb of memory. This thing wanted to haul ass. I was overclocking this thing like mad, and had it from stock (about 300/600) to 400/900 and was pulling off close to 6800GT scores.
    Then it got above 100C temperature, died, and just made a reallllly loud noise. Haha.
    It also killed my other power supply that was in it, which in turn fried its own 20-pin motherboard connector which ****ed with the rest of my hardware yet it still works. Nott fun..

Now I got this thing.
    Runs fine.
    Then again I dont torture it. Lol.

15. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    Early winter 2005 I had been drinking pirate juice and decided it would be a good idea to stick my radiator out the window when it was -35 F so that I could “chill” the coolant and thus over clock my CPU further. It worked wonders and I was able to get another couple of 100 MHz out of the old P4 2.8c. without increasing the voltage any. I left the PC running Prime95 and went to bed a proud man.

If I hadn’t been drinking I would have remembered what happens when you introduce cold air/ liquid to a warm surface where their is moister in the air.

I awoke the next morning and found a dead 6800 GT. What killed it? As I hadn’t over clocked the video card, the most likely culprit was a single drop of condensation from one of the coolant lines dangling above the video card.

It was a $400.00 mistake that I have yet to repeat.

16. HETT

HETT Member Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256MB
    Hmmm

Well I wasn't an avid gamer or PC enthusiast until I was around 13 years of age (I'm almost 19 now and half way through Technical Engineering.) when my parents brought home a HP pavilion which contained: Intel Celeron 500mhz . Windows 98 . 128MB SD-RAM . 20GB HDD . Integrated 32MB Intel. So soon after I bought the Playstation 1 I decided that console gaming wasn't for me and I wanted to make a nice PC. So my friend who had been 1 year up on me just build his and it was in the TI4200 era of gaming graphics.

So me being the bandwagon foe he decided to help me setup my first build: 300w Sparkle . NVIDIA Geforce TI4200 128MB . Windows XP SP2 . 512MB DDR-333 . 60GB Maxtor HDD. So build took us almost 4 hours to put together granted now I can build/assemble and input all software/drivers in under 2h.

I would have to say my first messup was installing wrong drivers and I was so dissapointed that my PC couldn't run SOF2 and IL2: Sturmovik, but avail I fixed that problem. So a year or so later and I put in a Intel Celeron 2.20 . 2x60GB Maxtor HDD . 1GB DDR-333 . Windows XP Professional . XFX 6600GT. Little did I know that my GPU was too much for my RAM/CPU and was bottlenecking, that was my second messup.

So I then moved onto 1GB DDR-400 . 80GB Western Digital . AMD 3000+ 64 . 350w Antec. So then I was set and ran nice, for about 2 years... then my motherboard was messing up, so I tried to remove the FLASH bios chip and in the process broke on of the circuitry walls which killed the motherboard...

So now I'm onto my current setup, have only had 3 mestakes and have learned a lot through reading online. It became my biggest obession and hobby and I love it so much now I do it for a living!

-HETT

17. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    Few years ago I wanted to go crossfire. ( Prior the current CF bridge ) and I wanted to use Internal CF. I bought two VGA cards ( which supposed to use intenal CF ) and CF motherboard and what do you know... The MB chipset didn't supprted those cards for Internal crossfire, they had no CF connectors... So off they went... In came 7900 GS Sli.

18. biglonglenthman

GPU:
    Wow guys, there's some really nice messups there haha, shame about the condensation on your watercooling, you really shouldnt drink that pirate juice ;)

Im glad im not the only one with a 6600GT bottlenecking problem, and my mate did the PSU trick where he clicked it on so many times it just blew up :| was intresting to hear about, when he was trying to explain how it wasnt his fault but the harder he tried the more of a knob he looked :p

Anyways thanks for the replys guys :)

19. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    My fist cock up was when I fitted a thermal pad (not amd's) to my cpu heatsink and unbeknownst to me there was an invisible protective film still stuck on it.
    Needless to say my cpu (this one) didnt see the funny side and reached around 90C before ASUS C.O.P switched it off.
    I only discovered the film after the heat had made it visible.
    Without the protection it would probably have ignited and caused a fire.......hardly my fault though...was it?

That was a few years ago and thankfully, the only one.....so far.

20. biglonglenthman

GPU:
    Well your "fist" cock up seems like a pretty easy mistake to make, least nothing blew up lol

As for your ASUS board turning it off arent you glad it did that?? i know when i was OC'ing my Celeron D (temp CPU till my replacement E6600 came) and it did top 100oC and the comp turned off.
    I realized at this point i had to stop :p so i was happy with my 4.86GHz i did top 5GHz but it wernt temp stable :p