Your best 5 hardware purchases ever

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by moab600, Nov 8, 2013.

1. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GAMING X
    And teh last one my pny gtx 780 the best card ever gave

2. Bentez

Bentez Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080Ti
    Gtx 295! So much power and heat it could melt your face off!

8800gts 320mb- my first dedicated card, slow and inadequate for most games but I loved her!

920 i7, x58 platform blew me away

U2711,got a brand new one for a bargain price, easily my fav monitor

WD velociraptor, just cause it looked cool

Finally special mention to my current rig, really great performance in anything I throw at it

3. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Master Guru

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    My list is a bit cpu heavy and silly but meh.

I7 2700k I love this cpu its so fast even now.
    Core 2 Duo with a 8600m GT it could run Crysis :)
    800mhz Pentium 3
    LG 23inch ips monitor
    Corsair K95

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  4. Riffmaster

Riffmaster Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 Lightning Extreme
    1. i7 920 C0
    1. 8800 GT
    1. x58 SLi Eclipse
    4. HX 620
    5. 580 Lightning Xtreme

5. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I have one, my Samsung 840 Pro. So fast!

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Impossible to answer as ive bought loads of highend hardware over 33 years. The zx spectrum was ground breaking in its day along with the Amiga and Neo Geo. I could also say the same for my 486dx2 running at 66mhz along with my gtx 690. It all depends on the timeframe and beings as there isnt one then its impossible to answer with only 5 options.

7. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 980/290X
    P5K-E Asus Motherboard P35 been running 24/7, 6+ years.

Q9550 CPU, 4 years.

Yamakasi Catleap 2560x1440p monitor, cheap, beautiful picture, almost 2 years.

CM Storm mechanical keyboard, red switches, 8 months.

4890 AMD GPU, still running to this day 24/7, 4+ years.

All the above still in service.

Edit, I also think my current system was a good purchase, love my hardware. Our hobby.

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well, there is, what were your 5 best purchases. :D

9. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Northwood p4
    GeForce4 MX
    HD 4890
    e6850
    My current power supply(6 years old)

10. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Classified Sli OC
    1.) Voodoo 2 PCI - This was my first dedicated gaming card and as a kid experiencing 3d video games for the first time was mindblowing.

2.) Voodoo 5 5000 - I upgraded to this after the voodoo 2 and it was an absolutely awesome card for its time. The glide API was aweSome in its day. I feel like even to this day it is still to be matched by any other API in terms of smoothness. There was no stutter or frame dropping, just silky smooth gameplay. I really hope mantle will be able to accomplish something similar.

3.) Saphire Radeon 9700 Pro - this card was an absolute beast when it came out. I got one off of eBay and it was a huge increase from the Radeon 7200 that it replaced. This card was ahead of anything nvidia had to offer for quite some time. It was the best gpu money could buy at the time and it was still cheaper than most of today's high end cards.

4.) AMD Athlon 64 4200 X2 - My favorite processor. This was during the period where the best processors for gaming came from AMD. I remember these chips beating more expensive and much higher clocked intel chips. These where also the first true dual cores. I remember my buddies being jelouse of how quickly battlefield 2 loaded a map on my system compared to their single core CPUs. It was a huge upgrade over the Athlon XP 2800 it replaced.

5.) i7 3960x - I know it's way overpriced, and if I had to do it again I would have went with the 3930k. However the chip I currently have is awesome. It overclocks like a madman and is surprisingly cool. Hits high 50s C when gaming with HT on. Everyone told me when I got this that 6 cores would be a waste. Glad I didn't listen seeing as how a lot of games being released take advantage of up to 8 cores. I feel like I won't have to upgrade my CPU for a long time, which is rare in the hardware world.

780 classified SLI - these cards are absolutely awesome overclockers, they're pretty cool, and the performance is incredible. Just one of these cards does excellently (60 fps or greater) in most titles at 1440p if you're willing to sacrifice some msaa, but 2 of them destroy anything and everything I throw there way. I was thinking of using the EVGA step up program to step up to 2 780tis for $300 US but I don't really feel the performance difference is worth it.

Sorry it ended up being six but those are my favorites.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    1440p 120Hz is where 780 SLi belongs.

As for my best 5 hardware purchases, I haven't been in the high-end PC business long enough to actually choose the best 5. The best parts are the parts I have picked + my GTX260 so...

I'll think of something.

12. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    No way man I could count only 5 things, here I go, make yourself a LOT of coffe ;)

Commodore 64 (old fat one) + Commodore 1530 Datesette + Final Cartridge II + Commodore 1541 5.25" FDD + black & white TV... good old memories, best gaming days of my life, me and my brother use to cool his external power supply with nylon bags full of ice because sometimes he was working non-stop for days, still have that C-64 (I would rather sell my wife than him), although it needs some work on electronics, probably I'll repair him in front of my grandchildren 10, 15 years from now :)

Commodore Amiga 500 512MB + additional 512MB expansion... man that thing was a gaming beast compared to anything else that existed in that time: Shadow of the beast 1 & 2, Dragons Lair... sadly I had sold it before going to army back in '93 and now I regret for doing that, now you can buy cheap Amiga 500 here in Serbia on Limundo.com but it's not my Amiga 500, it's someone else Amiga... :(

Intel 486DX2 50MHz (2x 25MHz)- first CPU that I've managed to overclock to stabile 66MHz (2x 33MHz) on some No Name made in Taiwan motherboard just by repostitiong few jumpers, I was happy like a 3 y.o. kid because of that, fastest OCed CPU backthen in my town :)

3DFx Voodoo (1) 6MB (Miro Highscore 3D)... amazing 3D graphic in games, smooth gameplay, that thing had an CPU and memory overclocking features in drivers Control Panel! First GPU I had overclocked for about 10%, no one on 50Km diameter had such a beast :)

3DFx Voodoo 2 12MB (Creative Labs 3D Blaster)... no explanation needed

3DFx Voodoo 3 2000 16MB AGP... stil have it, also few years ago I've bought cheap PCI version of it because of nostalgia

Intel Celeron 300A BOX (Slot 1)... great overclocker, from 300MHz (4.5x 66MHz FSB) to 450MHz (4.5 x 100MHz FSB) with few clicks on Chaintech 6BTM, costed me around 300 DEM backthen

AMD (K7 generation) Athlon XP 2500+, 1.83GHz, Barton core, FSB 333MHz, Socket A (462) - great performer and overclocker compared to expencive Intel CPU's at that time, every single Barton 2500+ that went through my hands was capable for 2.2GHz OC with good cooling, some of them even more, still have two of those Bartons 2500+, fully functional, one is capable for 2.3GHz OC, other for 2.4GHz OC

Abit NF7-S motherboard, Socket A (462), NForce 2 400 SPP, NForce 2 MCP-T audio, 2x SATA... great overclocker, still have it because of above mentioned Bartons 2500+, will keep it for my old days

Cooler Master Jet 7 (Socket A) CPU cooler - great looking and great performing Socket A CPU cooler, paired with Abit NF7-S it was capable to drive any AMD Barton 2500+ to at least 2.2GHz OC, still own it

few cheap Abit, Asus & Club3D ATI Radeon 9550, 128MB, AGP 8X cards capable for high OC (above 450MHz for GPU, and above 500MHz for memory) performing like real Radeon 9600PRO, lot of them had a real Radeon 9600 below heatsink

one particular sample of Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 128MB DDR2, AGP 8X - now that was a beast for a reasonable amount of money, if I remember well stock 400MHz for GPU and 600MHz for DDR2 memory and still capable for GPU overcloclok far beyond specs

ADI ProVista E44 15" monitor - my first really good CRT monitor capable for 100MHz refresh rate, before him I had s.h.i.t. load of crap CRTs like some 14" Hundai, Daewoo and similar CRTs and after few hour ow work on them I could easily pull a lot of hair from my head because of "radiation", that ADI E44 has teach me to appreciate quality monitor and had saved my eyes, because of him I still don't wear eyeglasses after more than 26 years in front of computers, I'm still capable to shoot a bottle cap from 15 meters with airgun rifle without optics, that ADI E44 is still alive with perfect picture like more than 15 years ago

BenQ FP72G+S - my first LCD monitor, great colors and razor sharp picture, also my first monitor with DSub + DVI combination, after that DVI was a "must have" video input on all my future monirs, still DVI is my main video input on all monitors I use/have, that FP72G+S is still alive, although I had changed one 2SC5705 died transistor few months ago

BenQ FP93GX, 19" LCD - my first 2ms (G2G) monitor, it was not perfect (low visibility angles on first place) but it was one od the first 2ms monitors on the market and I was proud because I own him (and still he is mine)

PowerKing 600VA UPS with AVR - mu first UPS device, AVR capable, I've bougt it for (if I remember well) for 350 DEM and didn't regret a minute after an hour uf using it, probably my best investment for keeping my PCs and other external PC equipment alive, back in '90 here in Serbia we had a lot of problems related with random power losses, voltage variations in 220V AC power network and it was horrible to use PCs in that contitions, 10, 20, 50 power losses a day, but after I had bough that UPS I was peacefull like a sleeping baby, now all my PCs and every single device that needs 220V AC power supply has a UPS, call me a paranoid but because of all those UPS devices around me I've never had a single major PC hardware failure: only few mouses and keyboards failed because of years of (ab)use, not a single dead PSU, MB, monitor, graphic card... nothing! Hail to the smart man who invented UPS :) That UPS is still in use after more than 15 years driving 3rd or 4th 12V/7Ah battery

Plextor PX-R412Ci SCSI 4X CDWriter with Caddy system (not tray) - I've spent a holy s.h.i.t. od money on that thing backthen, if I remember well it was 1200 DEM + 220 DEM on Adaptec Fast SCSI II PCI card + 20 DEM for SCSI cable... but it was my first CDWriter and I've simply loved that caddy system. I've stubmled few weeks ago on that drive still in his original Plextor box somewhere in basement of my house, he was still fully functional when I had put him in that box years ago. Later I've also bought many Plextor DVD-ROMs and DVD-ReWriters but I think they were not that good and long lasting made like that PX-R412C

Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP - that MB was a LGA775 beast back then, excelent overclocker, great heatpipe cooling for VRMs and NorthBridge, WiFi/AP, 8 phase power for CPU... that MB is still alive driving one C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.2GHz on my younger sons rig

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 - favorite CPU in my collection with Celeron 300A & AMD Barton 2500+, from 2.133GHz to 3.2GHz with ease on above Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP, don't know why but I don't remember where that CPU ended up, later on that Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP I've changed it for:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (G0) - monster CPU in small package, easy 3.2GHz OC on Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP and capable for more OC, but my 6.5 y.o. younger son is using that rig and he still don't need more power than that CPU is providing him for gaming, that CPU is cooled by:

OCZ Vendetta 2 - my favorite CPU cooler for LGA775, probably one of the best CPU coolers in LGA775 era, capable for using only one fan but after few modifications (done by me of course) now he is cooling that above C2Q Q6600 with two huge fans in push-pull, pity that OCZ is not making CPU coolers anymore

GigaByte GeForce 8800GT (GV-NX88T512HP type B) 512MB GDDR3 - great overclocker back then, stock overclock was also quite high if I remember well, I had managed to OC that G92 GPU to stabile 780MHz, and memory to 1980MHz if I remember well and backthen that card was nothing more than pure gaming beast, it was such a good card, thank you GigaByte for all good OC haours and days near that card

PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB GDDR5 (Radeon Mobile M98 chip version) - great gaming card backthen, still capable to run many new games in high resolutions and high details (first game that refused to run on that card was Crysis 3), almost instantly when I bought it I've throw stock PowerColor cooler in garbage and mounted one huge Arctic Accelero cooler because of OC, that card is still running smooth OCed to 730/3960 on above hardware

Intel Core i7-920 (C0) - still have that golden chip C0 version capable for 4.2GHz OC 24/7 with HT ON on small Corsair H70 Core + 2x 120mm fans in push-pull, personally I don't know anyone with i7-920 C0 capable for OC above 4.1GHz (with HT ON), most D0 versions are capable for OC beyond 4GHz, but to find C0 version capable for OC beyond 4GHz + HT it was like winning a lottery backthen, guess I was lucky one. After all these years that CPU now OCed to 4.01GHz is still very strong in all games my older son is playing on his rig. No way I'm gonna sell it ever

Intel Core i7-2600K - personaly I think that is probably the best quad core CPU Intel has ever made for masses, at least best SandyBridge CPU, with good cooling on nice OCing cappable motherboard 4.6GHz on many 2600K CPUs is like taking a candy from a baby

That's it, probably I've missed something because of damaged brain cells but I'll add something later :)

cheers everyone :cheers: and salute to many other vets like me here on Guru3D, more than 26 years in these "waters" and still I'm not bored with this technology
    [​IMG]

P.S.
    my wife comment: "...darling, now it's time to wear that lovely white shirt of yours with both arms on the back..." :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  13. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    ^ Good god that's a long response. I went cross-eyed halfway through it

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it's supposed to be a top 5

15. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    I apologize for such a long list, but as Veteran said earlier after all those years it's almost impossible for some of us to make just a top 5 PC hardware list :)

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it's impossible for me to pick top 5 too since I've been building rigs for 20 odd years now, but I still managed to squeeze 5 in. even though, ideally I'd need to add a few more ideally. meh, doesn't really matter, just thought we should all play by the rules.

17. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    My top 5 are:

ATI 9700 pro
    GEFORCE 6800 GT
    8800GTX (x2)
    Amd64 FX-55
    AMD Athlon xp 2500+ (Barton)

I could list a couple more, likely first Conroe extreme edition CPU bit if limited to 5 those would be it!

18. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    well veteran the challenge was to pick to 5 out of all your years haha quite a challenge , i should make achievment for steam :D

I think the best cpu hardware i ever saw was indeed core i7 2600 2700k, those have no backdraw, not even price

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Xeon W3530 - It's still holding strong.

GA-X58A-UDR3 - Still going after all these years.

X-Fi Xtreme Music - It eventually blew out but was due to a bad PSU, a good soundcard if you don't have one is the best investment in a PC IMO.

GeForce 4 Ti 4200 - It was a beast for the time and outdid some of the GeForce 5/FX cards that came out after it in the same price range, lol.

A 5th doesn't come to mind at the moment because they either haven't lasted long enough yet or despite how good or long lasting they were they had severe flaws.

20. thefunkyone

thefunkyone Active Member

GPU:
    2x MSI Geforce 670 SLI
    1) My CoolerMaster Stacker 810 case, had it for 8 years and its still going strong.... one of these days im gonna have to get a better more quiet case....

2) My Creative Labs X-Fi Xtrememusic, it was a good soundcard and did me well till i needed a card with a headphone amp.

3) my i7 860.... still going strong after 3 years and runs all games flawlessly..

4) My Leadtek Geforce Ti 4200 - a nice card with a beefy aluminium heatsink that allowed the GPU to be overclocked right up the top of the line specs.

5) My voodoo banshee, my first real 3D card... playing half life on it was awesome......