You live the life that you wanted to live.....

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by jbscotchman, Jan 14, 2019.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    But in the end you pay for your choices. Doesn't matter what kind of lifestyle you live, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

BangTail likes this.
  2. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Never compromise and never, ever settle and you'll be fine :p

sverek likes this.
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    sounds like twelve years old triggered kid :D

BangTail likes this.
  4. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Never settle...suddenly reminded me of those old amd the fixer commercials.

BangTail likes this.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Main thing - you believe in that.

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    This is far too negative of an out look, even for me. Never thought I'd say such a thing.

7. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    One can not change their past but can change their future. Don’t dwell on past decisions. Live, learn and adapt as necessary.

BlackZero, RzrTrek and jbscotchman like this.
  8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Very good advice.

9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    We acclimate to our situations and get used to them. First-world problems are precisely that - we fret about overpriced GPUs and smartphones while others struggle to find enough to eat. Even some rich people will tell you that life isn't a peach and they have their own issues to deal with. I consider it a core part of the human condition - we always want more than what we have.

It's rare that we take the time to appreciate the things we have and the life that we live. I consider myself lucky to be living in the twenty-first century, where we have modern medicine and modern comforts. Only a hundred years ago, people were dying from things that would be trivial today (bacterial infections, viruses, birth defects), and half of all children died before reaching adulthood. If I had been born before the age of modern medicine I would most likely be dead by now (or crippled), but most people in the developed world can expect to live a long, healthy life. This is why I despise anti-vaxxers and alternative medicine advocates - they take our quality of our life for granted and fight against the scientific advances that have served us so well.

I thank science for the life that I have. It's one of the reasons why I run grid computing apps, donating my computing power to science (especially medical science). We still have a long way to go though - cancer is still killing people every single day - and our lives can always improve. It's possible that in my lifetime we will not only be able to beat diseases like cancer and AIDS, but also eliminate genetic defects and even reverse the aging process through scientific advances (the search for everlasting life may be nearer than we think). Human progress must always continue, and we must always strive for a better standard of living, perhaps even becoming an intergalactic species with teleportation technology.

Of course by then we'll be complaining about how boring intergalactic travel is and how slow teleport pods are :p

BlackZero likes this.
  10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    woman run much faster with dress up that man with pants down.

11. Well I don't know about the rest of you but.... my 2019 New Year's resolution... :mad:

[​IMG]

And no it's not a meme...

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    True, its an idiom. :p

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  13. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
  14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Choice is an illusion created by those with power for those who do not.

jbscotchman and fantaskarsef like this.
  15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    ... wasn't it that what the Architect of the Matrix said? :D

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I feel like more lives are ruined by choosing to do nothing than lives that are ruined by making bad choices. But that's just me. A lot of us just spend our lives watching it go by from the safety of a routine.

airbud7, The1 and jbscotchman like this.
  17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    A very intriguing reply. I like to think that I've made my own choices in life, but hell maybe I haven't.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

And always remember, soon.

If you stare too long in to the abyss, the abyss stares back in to you.

airbud7 likes this.
  19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    No. It was the 'Merovingian' as he explained that, every cause has an effect and every effect has a cause. Causality.

The 'Merovingian' was based on the descendants of 'J of N' who created/co-opted The Roman Empire into what we know as France and Germany today. So, as the OP was talking about fate versus destiny, I felt it was appropriate to lend credence to the basis of the philosophical underpinnings of causality through the statement that is at the heart of causality when used for governance. This (in essence) is what the directors of Reloaded copied.

The character is even referred to as 'The Frenchman' and, if you recall; the original Matrix was flawed without choice or consequence. The 2nd Matrix had choice injected into the code, falsely, as it removed the idea of choice, for one which is better suited to the illusion of choice: causality.

jbscotchman and fantaskarsef like this.
  20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe yes I remember, just saw Matrix 1 yesterday, didn't stay up for 2 though... quite found myself thinking about philosophical implications in those movies too, yesterday, some points where Smith in the first part already says things that make you wonder...
    At least I got the trilogy right after all :D

Loobyluggs likes this.