Yet another "which motherboard should I get" thread...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by the_jerboa_king, Aug 24, 2007.

1. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    ok, so I want a new motherboard, but can't decide which way to go...

I've currently got an E6300, 2GB G.Skill DDR2 NQ PC2-6400 (in another PC waiting to be used fully) and an ASUS P5NE-Sli 650i.

I cannot stand this motherboard. It's incapable of picking up SPD timings correctly (this seems to be a feature as I know other people with the same board and problem). It will overvolt the CPU if I leave it on auto vcore when overclocking (a feature of the more recent BIOS udpates). It won't work with the G.Skill ram. The heatsink on the chipset gets insanely hot when overclocking. If you change a BIOS setting away from auto to something else, then back to auto it stays at the last manual setting half the time.

I've tried upgrading BIOS etc, every RAM timing under the sun and so on and so forth. I'm board with this board and want a new one :)

Please don't suggest anything by ASUS (or gigabyte as they may as well be ASUS in my mind). What do people think of the XFX, BFG, EVGA and co. who have recently started making boards? I reckon a DFI 650i board would be quite nice, but I can only find the 680 one's in the UK.

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well if you want high o/c hmm p35 cus of your 7multi,if low on cash?anus p5k
    or get a foxconn made 680i if you want sli heh

3. the_jerboa_king

GPU:
    9600GT
    not low on cash... just don't want to spend too much at the moment as I'm undecided about other upgrade options :/ This new board could make it to my main machine, or I might keep it as my second and go a 'full' upgrade of my main machine to something like an E6850 or Q6600 etc etc...

How are the Foxconn boards? I know Foxconn have been making boards for years and selling them under other names but they don't seem to have made much impact with their own branded boards.

4. slapfat

slapfat Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800gts 512MB
    If i had the choice between Foxconn and Gigabyte or Asus, I'd definitely give Foxconn a miss. Just my opinion gained from working with a couple of foxconns. no offence to Foxconn lovers ;)

The XFX motherboards that I was looking at, the 650i and the 680i, looked a bit umm well bland... Take a look at them m8.

But hey its upto you m8 I stick to gigabyte or Anus ;) But try something different, if its crap just take it back and try something else.

Just wish the p35 chipset was sli instead of crossfire.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1154/17/page_17_final_thoughts/index.html

check what they have to say about Foxconn mobo there.

If I could i'd get the GA-P35C-DS3R has DDR2 and DDR3 Slots and seems to get gr8 reviews.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007

5. the_jerboa_king

GPU:
    9600GT
    Slapfat: yeah, all the XFX, EVGA and BFG boards look really bland, the Foxconn one looks a bit more interesting, however I'm wondering if the chipset fan would get in the way of a Zalman heatsink... I'll probably avoid the risk... Thanks for pointing out the P35's being crossfire, I'd missed that completely!

Does anyone know how independent the manufacturing of ASUS and Gigabyte boards is? I'm just wondering as I would have gone Gigabyte if they weren't under the evil control of anus...

Anyone had particulary good or bad experience with other makes, such as MSI, Abit and others?

6. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Yeah, I'm kind of wishing my MB was SLI, now. It's all Nvidia, this year!

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well foxconn makes most 680i and 650i m/b's and bfg evga xfx put there name on them,the foxconn branded sli m/b is ...well ok but dont bother

oh and anus and giga are breaking up so cheer up?

just go p35 and forget the sli

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007