Yet another Vista question

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Ryman03, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Ryman03

Ryman03 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX260 OC
    Ok I just have a couple questions regarding Vista.

I may be wrong but I heard to run Vista in all its glory you need a Directx10 compatible card. If this is the case you mean to tell me that we need to pay 300-500 dollars for a new video card to run an operating system?

What makes this operating system so special that it is such a power hog? It sounds to me like Vista is going to be more demanding than FEAR maxed, because FEAR does not require or even use Directx10.

2. shodai

shodai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7950gt 550/1400 w/vf900
    You don't need DX10 for Vista.

3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Just to rephrase that a little.

You don't need a DX10 card to run Vista no.

4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Well, if you want to run your OS with "everything maxed", my guess is that you will definitely need a DX10 card in the near future, since MS clearly wants to make sure your system is fully utilized even if you are just writing emails... ;)
    I wonder if MS plans on paying for our power bills anytime soon... :rolleyes:

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Near future, but not with Vista.

It makes use of a good card, but that card doesn't need to be DX10, think the effects were mainly OpenGL wasn't it for the interface?

6. trapper_87

trapper_87 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS IceQ 7970
    I cant see that...but I could see them buying the power companies.

7. Ryman03

Ryman03 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX260 OC
    So good directx9 cards can run Vista fine without any problems with all the settings enabled?

8. GeoTop

GeoTop Banned

GPU:
    May Finchwizard
    Yes.

9. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    ive seen onboard graphics run with it!!! its like saying you MUST have THE latest processor ONLY to run an 8800GTX - not really but it wont run at PEAK.....

10. Menion

Menion Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon 5870
    And then, suddenly from nowhere, the Vista-hater GeoTop actually confirms this?!?!

That's ironic.

11. silversurfer512

silversurfer512 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 7800gt
    i am running it on a amd 3500 and a 7800gt and its running great. Only tried cod 2 for gaming but no complaints so far

12. Ryman03

Ryman03 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX260 OC
    So then basically Directx10 is mainly for gaming and has nothing else whatsoever to do with Vista, because you guys claim that Directx9 cards can run Vista with all settings enabled to the max.

13. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    Sorry to steal this thread, but I have a "kind of" related performance question.

If I upgrade to an Athlon 3200, 2GB of good RAM and a GeForce 7600GT/7800GS/Radeon 1650/1950 (AGP) and overclock the living snot out of it with good water cooling, do you think my current rig will be "Vista Ready"?

Fake Edit: I understand that this is hard to answer because Vista isn't out in the shops yet, but maybe an official BETA tester or somebody with a "special" version of Vista could answer.

14. silversurfer512

GPU:
    Inno3D 7800gt
    I have an official version of vista and it works fine on any newish system as long as it has the ram to handle it. I have run it on a system that had a amd 3000 with an ati 9800 pro and it works fine there too.
    At boot up it uses around 3-400mb before you run any apps!!
    on a side note the 3d flip looks cool but is a bit of a gimmick tbh.

It has been stable as a rock for the past 3 days on mainly beta drivers so very impressed with it!!

15. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Excellent. My new project is getting an Athlon XP up to 3Ghz ;)

16. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Just make sure it's a mobile XP with extremely good cooling, otherwise you can expect a "china syndrome" meltdown... :p

17. silversurfer512

GPU:
    Inno3D 7800gt
    3000 xp isn't at 3ghz so dont go frying your chip trying to reach that speed! Its at around 2ghz if my memory is right.
    You'll just need at least 1gb or ram and a decent dx8+ card

18. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    The default speed is 2.17 and I have it running at 2.27 with stock cooling and a little volt increase. I want to make it fast enough for Vista because I am going to be giving this PC to my dad. From what I gather, Vista is not as power hungry as I first assumed.

19. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Your video card is fine. Just make sure it's a dual core CPU. You should have 2gigs of RAM.

20. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490
    You don't need to OC ;) at everything stock, your rig is going to be Vista Ready.

Also dual core isn't a must for Vista. 1GB of memory runs Vista fine, but 2GB always helps.

I am running Vista in a 6600LE, 3500+ and 2GB memory, with all Vista settings and effects maxed out.

41 process running, 630MB memory usage, 770MB page file usage (with all my normal programs that I usually run, no service tweaks, etc) ...