1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yakuza 0 - Unable to save the game or even quit properly to the desktop!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Darren Hodgson, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    First of all, this game is running great on my i7-4770K, 16 GB, GTX 1080 Ti, Windows 10 Pro v1803 64-bit PC using the latest v398.82 WHQL graphics drivers from NVIDIA. I am running it maxed out at 2560x1440 with SSAAx4 and framerates are always way above 60 fps. Great stuff, no complaints there.

However, I am unable to save the game at all. The first S (Save) point after the opening credits allows me to select Save then click on Create Save but nothing appears to happen. If I select the Save option again then I see Create Save rather than a save file as expected.

I even tried enabling the SaveAnywhere option (changed it from =0 to =1) in the settings.ini in AppData/Roaming/SEGA/Yakuza0 which brings up the Save option under the pause menu but it is exactly the same as with the save (S) points.

I know the game has not saved because when I exit to the title screen (clicking OK to the warning about losing unsaved data) then the only option available for the gameplay is New Game. There is no Continue or Load Game option. I lost almost 2 hours of progress last night due not being able to save.

The odd thing is that the backup_9999.bin file in AppData/Local/Sega/Yakuza0/backup_data shows a timestamp that suggests the game *is* saving data. So why can I not resume this save?

To make matters worse, when I quit the game by pressing Y on my Xbox One Elite controller then the game appears to hang and never exits to the desktop. If I bring up Task Manager using Ctrl, Shift + Esc then the Yakuza0.exe file is shown as Not Responding and I have to manually end the task.

I've tried revalidating the game twice (all files reported okay), I've deleted the two Yakuza folders in AppData and I've even uninstalled and redownloaded the game but these issues persist.

I understand this game uses Denuvo, which I don't have a problem with in other games, but I'm wondering if this is the cause of the problems I am experiencing? Has anyone else come across this issue and found a way to get around it?

I don't believe there is a problem with my PC as every other game works fine and saves properly. Of course, it could be a conflict with something else I have running such as iCUE or something like that. Will try a clean boot and report back.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    PC port is a bit wonky but first try with disabling the cloud sync in the properties for the game and see how that works for saving, for the hang on exit restarting the Steam client might help if it's a API issue and the game also has issues with certain controllers though in your case it does start at least.

So try disabling cloud save support then restart the client and see how that works for saving the game. :)
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\*\638970\remote

That's where it saves "*" would be your own Steam ID number and then the game ID number after that, since it's a subfolder it shouldn't be a permissions issue unless something is blocking the creation of the save data but running as admin is a possibility although I would try to avoid it but it can certainly be tested. :)

EDIT: Hmm wonder if the hang on exit is why it can't save if it's not fully syncing with the cloud since the game isn't quitting properly, unplugging the controller and seeing if the game quits properly is a alternative although you really do want to use a controller for this game and plugging it out every time you have to quit the game isn't ideal at all.
    (Though disabling cloud support might then allow for saving of the game but it might still hang on exit.)

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thanks JonasB. Those are certainly things I can try.

I came back to this thread during my lunchbreak expecting people to have told me to reinstall Windows blahblahblah to fix this issue but the truth is that I buy a lot of games (and by a lot, I mean a LOT as I have over 1,100 on Steam alone) and these kind of save issues are extremely rare. In fact, this is only the second time I have encountered this issue; the other was a permissions issue with a game I had played on another Windows account (which I believe was partially corrupted) but I fixed that by taking ownership of the game folder on my new profile. Forget which game it was though. However, it seems unlikely that this is the issue with this game as it is a brand new game and not one that I played on my old Windows account.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I did look at this folder last night but the only file is there was one called system.sys (I think). Would you mind telling me if that is the *only* file in there please (i.e. that this is the save file) or if there are other files too?

I am hoping that there are some files missing there which could mean there is a permissions issue that is preventing the game from saving to that location. In fact, thinking about it, it was this location or rather the UserData folder (located on my C drive) where the other game had issues writing saves so it is very plausible that this is the same issue. Why it doesn't affect other games, I do not know, but maybe they save to the Documents folder?

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    P.S. Would someone with the game mind uploading their save game from the Userdata remote folder for me to possibly try please? Thanks.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    I had something update while playing the game and booted me out of fullscreen, and was impossible to get back into the game once that happened. And yea no save can just select new game, lost about 5 6 hours of playing :(.

Also task manager yakuza will not show up as the game exe, it is under steam web helper or some process like that and you have to expand it to see the yakuza.exe.

Fun game though was really enjoying it clearly needs some patches though.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It is definitely a great game - I bought it originally on PS4 (plus I also have Yazuza 1 Kiwami and Yakuka 6) - but the PC version looks and runs so much better with much quicker loading times that it feels like a fresh experience. Image quality is also abysmal on PS4 Pro as the game takes no advantage of the more powerful hardware or supersampling. It looks so much crisper on PC, especially clothing and skin textures where you can see the intricate details.

However, at the moment the game is unplayable for me because I am unable to save any progress. Hopefully, with the help that JonasB has given I can get to the bottom of it and be able to actually save it when I play the game tonight. No-one else is reporting the issue so it does seem likely to be a permissions issue. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    cerebus23 likes this.
  8. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Tried unlocking the Save Anywhere feature and see if that solves the save issue?

1. Go to the configuration file ( <Steam-folder>\userdata\<user-id>\638970\remote\ )
    2. Open settings.ini.
    3. Change SaveAnywhere=0 to SaveAnywhere=1.
    4. Once in-game, go to settings and in the pop up you can now save wherever.
    Source; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1461761526

EDIT; Ah, should have properly read your post. See you've already attempted it.

9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    system.sys should be profile and other settings not found in the various ini file.

There should also be SaveData0000.sav to SaveData0001.sav and so on depending on which slot you're using for the various save data slots in the game. :)

Give me a moment to start up the game and start a new game up and save in the first area again and see if that works loading that file and then saving and loading that.

Also remove remotecache.vdf from the folder before the "remote" folder to unflush the Steam sync config for this game and clear that just in case.

EDIT:
    SaveData0001.rar
    https://www3.zippyshare.com/v/OlL5EvCC/file.html

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Cheers JonasB. It never ceases to amaze me how knowledgeable and helpful you always are. This forum just would not be the same without you.

*UPDATE*
    Save and quit issues now sorted. Turns out it *was* a permissions access error after all as after taking ownership of the Steam UserData folder I was able to save *and* load my progress. I am even using the Pause Save/Load option although I'm using Slot 1 for phone booth saves and Slot 2 for the save-anywhere ones just in case it causes corruption.

I believe this fixes another issue I had with not being able to change the resolution in the recently released Forsaken Remastered. I created a new Windows account a few months ago and moved all the data over from my old account. As a result of that there is the odd issue like this where a game is unable to save data but, to be honest, they are fairly rare.

*UPDATE 2*
    No, the Forsaken Remastered issue persisted - basically it crashes with a memory write error on attempting to change the resolution or window type setting etc (although the Graphics option worked fine) - but I was able to edit the graphics ini file and now the game is running at 4K in fullscreen mode with v-sync off (I have a G-SYNC display).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Hmm that's curious, I know UAC and Windows default permissions can put a blocker on Program Files and Program Files (x86) among some other folders but I had assumed that the Steam and it's user data folder were outside of that but it must have inherited the permissions and restrictions then if that's not the case.

I use a registry file for ownership taking myself for this particular problem. :)

Slightly modified from the source script from Tenforums since that caused .dll files to open in the command prompt for whatever reason if double clicked so I removed that bit and also for compatibility this script also excludes a few protected folders that you really shouldn't take ownership of because it will break things. (ProgramData especially but also Windows and for good measure the script also includes the root Program Files folders and User folder.) Just right click on a directory and use the Take Ownership command.

Might be other scripts but this one has served me well enough since Redstone 1 I think was when I came across it so been a while now and a number of different Windows 10 builds.

12. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    Rule of thumb with Windows 8/8.1/10
    Do NOT use Program Files or C: (Where OS is installed) Drive for anything that requieres file manipulation. Like, for example, saving data. Just don't.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  13. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    this game is from an old era

we should be happy it can scale up to 4k nice enough to enjoy it , with 2xSSAA that is

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    By default, C:/Program Files (x86) is where Steam installs itself along with the UserData folder. Of course, many games still use the Documents folder to save settings and game progress and, for me, that along with Music, Pictures and Videos has always been located on a non-C drive. As such, I don't generally have problems but I did have to take ownership of those folders when I migrated to my new Windows account as they were previously assigned to my old account. One of the perils of switching Windows accounts, I guess.

I would not normally have done this but the invisible text on the Cortana Search window when I clicked on it without typing anything in (otherwise it worked fine) just bugged me so I took the decision to create a new account/profile, copy everything across from the AppData folder to the new one then delete the old account. This fixed the Cortana issue but created the odd issue such as this one.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This is a weird one... I am still having an issue where the game appears to save but it doesn't - there is no Saved Game message or whatever it usually shows. Also, the timestamps on the save files were not changing. Also, quitting the game from the main menu causes the game to hang (it shows as not responding in Task Manager).

I have no idea why this is still happening but I thought at first that it was a security permissions issue on the Steam UserData folder that was the issue so I took ownership of that folder and the game seemed to go back to saving again. However, the next day I noticed the timestamps were not changing again so I decided to uninstall and redownload the game. This seemed to fix it. The next day though the game was back to not saving. It seems like turning off my PC causes the game to stop saving, as bizarre as that might sound.

Currently, I am unable to save the game at all even if I uninstall it and reinstall it from the backup I made (downloading the game each time takes around 6 or so hours for me so this seemed like the quickest method). I'm really not sure what is causing this as I've checked the UserData folder (Steam Cloud saves) and the two Sega folders in the AppData folder and all of those appear to have the correct security permissions. Deleting the folders and letting the game rebuild them and Steam restore the saves also does not work.

I just don't understand why I cannot save unless I redownload the game. If I had to hazard a guess though I would say that is something to do with Denuvo. Maybe it has some anti-piracy feature that prevents saving if it detects an illegal copy. Of course, I am playing a legit copy purchased from Steam!

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    wierd no save issues here, knock on wood, i have read about some peoples saves vanishing. but as of yet i have been been able to save just fine.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Okay, I decided to change the SaveAnywhere=1 Settings.ini option to SaveAnywhere=0 the day before last and when I loaded up Yakuza 0 last night to test it the game decided to work and I was able to play it for a couple of hours and save my progress across two save slots.

Now, this morning it is back to not working (no Save Complete message or change in the timestamp) and that is with my PC basically being left on all night to finish downloading updates for Uplay (Far Cry 5 patch) and the Microsoft Store (State of Decay 2, Gears of War 4, Asphalt 9).

Apart from playing Monster Hunter World (which saves fine by the way as does EVERY OTHER game I've played for the last two years!) and a Steam update this morning, I have not changed anything else on my PC. I have not changed any graphics driver settings or installed any Windows Updates or NVIDIA graphics drivers.

So why is this game acting so schizophrenic going from working to not working to working and finally back to not working... again!!! I just don't understand it. No other game behaves this way and Yakuza 0 is saved to the same drive as Monster Hunter World, Dead Cells, Forsaken Remastered and Madden NFL 19, all recent games I've bought that save without issue.

Is it Denuvo?

P.S. One thing I do remember when I played the game last night and the saving worked is that I had created a profile for Yakuza 0 in RTSS (MSI Afterburner) and disabled the in-game overlay. I re-enabled it while playing the game but the overlay did not show so I continued playing (and saving without issue).

I've just tested it this morning with the overlay disabled again but the saving does not work. Could be something that needs a reboot so I will test later...

This issue is annoying the hell out of me at the moment as it obviously prevents me from playing the game even though the game itself works perfectly!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well hopefully there will be a patch soon, after all they rolled one out already but had to roll it back because some people had crashing issues.

Thought tho for the random crash fix one guy suggested trashing your prefs file on the steam forms and it fixed the crashing on launch for them. sorry cant recall the name of the file, ahh here it is.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/638970/discussions/0/1739964766313650675/

seems some times the game does not set the cfg file right and causes the game to act all sorts of wierd might be worth a shot.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    And the game is back to saving again!!!

I am starting to think this issue is one that only affects people using more than one save slot, in my case I am using two.

What I did this time was continue the game from the latest save but rather than test the saving function by saving over this slot I instead saved over the second slot. The Save Complete message appeared and sure enough the time/date stamp changed accordingly.

This glitch is really random but it only occur if you first save over the slot you continued the game from when having more than one save slot.

It may be that few people are seeing this issue because they are only using a single save slot.

*EDIT*
    Forgot to mention that I using the beta patch so it could be that which fixed the issue. Need to test it more, e.g. load the game after a restart or my PC has been turned off.

Oh and other people are starting to report this issue: https://steamcommunity.com/app/638970/discussions/0/1739964766311191138/

20. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    If thats the case, I would of have had this issue long ago.
    I'm using 6 saves slots.