Ya know...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by niteprowler, Sep 27, 2006.

1. niteprowler

niteprowler Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX260 896mb (X1)
    I'm back looking for answers to various questions and I can't help but notice how my once vaunted system is now a decrepit relic ready for the scrap heap! LOL! Has it been a year already?!? (actually 2 ;-).

I'm running out of kids to hand this stuff down to while I buy new, pre-built, stuff.

SOOooo...after 11 years of tweakin', twitchin', nudgin' and generally cussing at my various systems, I'd like to try and build one myself...and forego the Alienware mark up I paid last time!

With that in mind I'm looking for a few good sources of info (NO...I did NOT expect you to guide me through it here!! LOL! ). I know I'll always be able to find reliable info here but putting it all together, in a complete and running system, has always been questionable, in my mind.

"You have to ensure that all hardware is compatible!" or "You can't just throw the hardware you want at a system" and on and on...I think I've been scared off of doing it myself by these kind of statements...and I'm not going to take it anymore! ;-).

I don't buy this line of reasoning, anymore. BS! I can build a screamin' demon...I have learned enough to at least give it a go, me thinks.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Vic

2. ultimate360

ultimate360 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GT KO 256MB
    PC building is easy. Don't worry you will do fine. I have built 3 but there not the extreme ones. I think someone other than me can help you better.

Good Luck! :)

3. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    I'd get an AM2 system with the ability to upgrade to Quad-Core or AM3 (whichever or both...).

4. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I'd get a conroe system, amd is moving its enthusiast chips to socket 1207

5. NeTbLasT

NeTbLasT Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB (OC)
    WTH is a socket 1207???

6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Socket F. It's designed to replace Socket 940 on server boards. It's for Opterons only, so it's really not for the ethusiast crowd. 4x4 and AM3 are the enthusiast ones.

7. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    i'm pretty sure it's replacing socket 940 for the new opterons

8. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2006