XP VS Win7/Vista

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by The General, Mar 31, 2010.

1. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I suck at making polls on VB software, but i wanted to see what everyone here thought about which is better in speed, gaming, and overall xp vs win7/vista?

IMO, i only use non power connectors video cards, so using windows 7 or vista is just too demanding , most games run good, but some of them run like sh**, and even more lame when i start recording. I have to turn down some setting just to get a playable framerate, depending on the game.

In XP, yea not as pretty and wonderful to look at like win7 or vista , nor as smooth, but overall XP is faster, and copying files is faster. As for gaming, well i never have to turn anything down pretty much at all, and games will run way above 60 frames, this is on both my rigs, my Quad core and my Intel e5400.
    Now when i get my ATI Radeon 5670 1GB GDDR5 card, i plan to use that on my Quad core with windows 7 ultimate 64bit and get up to 8GB of ram. Games will run fine, maybe even record better, but IMHO, XP IS THE GREATEST OS EVER.

Windows 7 just looks a billion times better :)

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  3. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    ^this. It's been debated and quashed many many many times before so this is going to spiral into another pointless debate. For me, there's only 1 machine left that runs Windows XP. The other Windows XP installations are in VM machines where I use it to test code or just to see the effects of viruses in a contained environment.

Everything else in my house either runs at least Windows Vista or above ... that or Linux.

deltatux

4. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Vista and Win 7 shouldn't be grouped together.

5. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    If you cant config vista or 7 to work correctly then you should sell your pc and buy a dreamcast

6. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I tested Vista Vs Windows 7, both are really the same, windows 7 is just more stable and faster, but gaming performance wise, pretty much the same.

I have a Quad and a Intel E5400, BOTH rigs plays games just perfectly as i want in both XP and windows 7/Vista, recording games is a different story, recording games depending on what it is, is horrible in win7/vista.
    So i want the best performance, so i plan to stick with dx9/xp on my intel e5400 and on my quad i plan to also stick with xp, but with windows 7 install , windows 7 x64bit with 8GB.

Oh and btw, i have 2 dreamcast systems :)

7. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    *grabs popcorn and sits watching*

8. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    ^pull up a seat next to him and opens a bag of doritos.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  9. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    yet neither of you offer to share these snacks :(

10. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6850 DC V2
    Guys wait a minute! i'm gonna bring the beer, the general threats are real fun stuff.

11. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    THREAD FAILED.
    Just thought i would have a discussion about it, because it seems like many people here enjoy using XP like me :)

12. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I'm still on XP.As times are tough, hardware upgrades have been rare.Once the cash is available, I find myself asking why?
    Truth is, besides a new video card, I don't need the upgrade.Do I want it? No, not really.
    I've spent a lot of time and money chasing tech, and I'm in a place where I'm actually problem free with what I've got.That, to me, is worth more than any bragging right.
    The day will come that we need to change, just as it always does. For now, all my computing needs are met, so I won't waste the cash.

13. Witcher

Witcher Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel

Joining him with french fries and coke.

14. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    oh lordy.. another one of these. go google xp vs windows 7 and look at the 34 trillion hits

15. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    I just can't let older OS go away, currently xp, vista, 7 and ubuntu. Some things works in one, not in the other, plenty of options to test, run ancient and brand new software.

16. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I have decided to give up on XP, the interface / skin overall look is starting to bother me big time, i am using Windows 7 Ultimate for both my rigs now, soon x64 with 12GB on my Quad. 32bit with my Dual core. So far so good, recording games was always a issue, thats why for my dual core, i am going to install the cataylst driver trick, so i can still use windows 7 , but have xp gaming / dx9 performance. For my quad, i will just game with full win7, and i am buying a Sapphire 5670 1GB card soon too.

Peace

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Upgrading to 7 was great, I can never use XP again.

18. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    started use windows 7 since pre beta 6801, never looked back at XP and Vista, so 7 FTW.

19. GandraZz

GandraZz Master Guru

GPU:
    555m 2GB 665/1330 FHD
    xp tooo old. When i installed win 7 i was so happy like then when i first time got my pc. I even get more fps in 7 than xp with my crappy pc.

20. spanket

spanket Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770
    i use xp windows 7 is noob OS