XP vs Vista speed. (XP winning)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by H0PE, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tous

Tous New Member

GPU:
    Dual 8800 GTS 320MBs
    I have a very similar system to yours, Ive run wow on both Vista and XP and it seemed very even on both for me, even when I had multiple copies of wow open the selected ones FPS would be in the 90ies. I got 2x8800 320mb GTS in sli, and only 800mhz memory(didn;t think the M2N32 supported 1066 afaik) so just slightly worse.

If your only testing wow Id try doing a clean install of wow under vista if you haven't already, I remember some of my mods used to hate vista and go insane on CPU usage when in Vista so you could try disabling all yours mods too.

Also you said your using the same driver? Do you mean you have one version of the driver you used in XP that worked well and you liked it? or you just mean the latest? You may want to try different versions of the drivers for different OSs, some versions work better then some others on different OS.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Have you checked to see if you have V-sync Enabled, this caps you at 60FPS

3. H0PE

H0PE Guest

No capping... since the lowest fps is halved too. Yesterday in a city where it should be around 30fps, I had 15constant. My eyes were dropping out from the slowness, thats what I call eye damaging speed... :bang:

4. H0PE

H0PE Guest

My next step...

Ok what I've done today is:

-removed secondary card, checked single card performance
    -Swapped the two cards in the primary and secondary slot
    -untweaked the cpu/mobo/ram/vga

Not getting better. Still going slower than 50% than XP. BTW I got vista business edition 32bit version. Do you think that could couse the problem? I see no issues at all. I got heaps of Sata disks but I cannot believe that could couse the problem.

Another friend of mine (with even older machine) told me today he didn't notice slowdown. This start to frustrate me even more. :(

5. Helpful

Helpful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I had thad problem on a new machine, I just built for a friend, on P45 platform.
    He was rushing me and I forgot to install the Intel Chipset Drivers (for you NV
    Board Drivers). Then I re-installed the GPU drivers, and all is well.
    Also, If you have 2 Geforce cards installed, be sure to set PhysX to the SECONDARY
    GPU for best performance and increased FPS

6. H0PE

H0PE Guest

Thanks, but Motherboard drivers and CPU Drivers are the first thing I usually install. Then VGA, Soundcard, and I finish off with mouse and nostromo speedpad.

7. Messerschmitt

Messerschmitt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7970 DCU II
    Why do you care about Vista anyway? That thing sucks, the requirements are like a game itself. It's like trying to run a game with another game (Vista) in background.

Just stick with XP mate, I love it. I am kinda looking forward to Windows 7 tho since I finally kinda want to get a 64 bit platform so I can get some extra RAM. Vista was just a failure.

8. subfire91

subfire91 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Powercolor 4870 1GB
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. H0PE

H0PE Guest

Thing is that partially I agree with you.Xp is a blast on my machine, fast like hell. However I can still feel the difference, because the multitasking and ram management is way much better under vista.Many times I got issues with XP's desktop. Explorer freezing, weird waiting occasionally for applications to open. While under vista I never experience this. From the first second I entered my password for login the machine is just usable. No waiting.

I'm going to test some other versions from both vista and xp, I hope thats the issue here, not my hardware.

10. Lahomer

Lahomer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLI 680/1463/1215
    I dont really notice a fps difference when i game in vista ... so fine here :banana:

11. H0PE

H0PE Guest

I've just installed a win xp pro with DX11 integrated. Updated windows, added the latest working drivers, mobo, amd cpu and optimizer, nvidia vga and system tools, SB audigy2 drivers, habu and nostromo...

The weird thing is that I see slightly higher fps than what I experienced just earlier with Vista. Believe me I was surprised, since I ALWAYS checked, and re-checked, and xp ended up being double fps against vista.

HOWEVER!
    I just reallized why vista feels much slower. And its hard to explain but I try. When I move in WoW or turn, under vista it feels like the screen movement is choppy! Like when you everything would not move "smoothly" but the objects seems "jumping with 1-2feet instead of moving when I turn around and move the mouse. Under XP I dont experience this at all!

What setting could this be? Yes on every setup I turn off v-sync in default, from hardware. In-game I always make sure it also turned off too.

So this is rather serious I guess. Any ideas?

Current status: Under XP I got slightly higher fps, not double atm as earlier. However the smootness of the game is light years of higher then under vista. Under vista even with 30-40fps I see a weird stutter/chopiness of the objects, not fluid movement they got.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    You may be getting 50% less fps in Vista vs XP, but for sure its not due to the operating systems. There must be something seriously wrong in your setup. In Vistas early days it was like 10% slower than XP, now its about even, maybe slightly less in some instances, but definitely not 50%.

13. jumjumski

jumjumski Member Guru

GPU:
    mobility 4570
    I bet DX11 is looking great on XP:bang:

14. H0PE

H0PE Guest

I know its hard to digest what I'm saying. But if there's something wrong with my setup, how could be that I'm using XP Pro right rather perfectly? And what could be so wrong that only vista dies? I can't figure this out since no hardware issues, conflicts, nothing.

As you see I was trying a lot of different things, nothing helped so far. Vista is glitched for me, not sure why. Heck I even tried windows 7beta, that was slightly faster but still I remember how choppy the game movement was (everything looks like lagging and after a while your eyes cant take it anymore).

So I'm really clueless whats the problem. :(

15. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Because you have some sort of driver issue or something like that? Don't you think it's odd that everyone else using Vista reports 2% loss in FPS in some games, while others maybe be 1-2% better yet you report a 50% loss overall? Clearly your setup is borked in some manor.

16. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    XP, Vista, MS:biggun: I really do not like Microsquish but meh! I love games so...
    I really think Win7 will be a big improvement over XP and Vista.
    In OS dreamland there is an optimized OS built for
    PC gaming, graphic rendering, audio/video, music editing,
    somewhere.:infinity:

17. H0PE

H0PE Guest

Did I mention that every time I use the same version of release for vista and xp (obviously separate installation package but same version)? With the VERY SAME settings?

18. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Debatable, but even from what I saw even something ageing like a Pentium D got a slight boost (comparing Vista 32/64Bit SP1 to XP32/64Bit SP2).

I bet, considering its not publicly available and XP will not support DX9c and up.

It's glitched for you? You've only talked about World of Warcraft performance, thats one game (1) that is causing your concern.

What power supply are you usin by the way?

19. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So what your saying is everyone else is wrong your benchmarks are right? A little narcissistic are we?

20. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    Vista has always been faster for me, in windows apps and in games, including WoW. It is your setup.

Vsync will cause the lowest FPS to be effected just as much as the highest FPS. Disable it and stop wasting our time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.