1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP to Win7 64

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Guinness, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Guinness

Guinness Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC / 512MB
    Hello trusty Guru3d friends.

XP crashed two nights ago. I can't even get past the XP splash screen to find out what happened. It did an update (malicious tool plus two others). I'm sure it was done. I went onto something else and noticed my sound was out. Strange, but i thought a reboot was due. Rebooted machine, but it hung during shutdown. I hard powered it off. Upon restart, it'd get to splash screen then a quick BSOD and reboot. Couldn't get in via Safe Mode either.
    I typically reinstall XP every couple of years, so I guess that time was now. However, since I purchased a Win7 laptop last year, I thought that the next time I need to reinstall XP, I'd just install Win7. (I did the compatibility test sometime back. If i remember correctly, only the sound card won't work. No biggy, those are cheap enough to get... oh and I'll increase mem too (from 2g to 4gigs).

Anyways... enough background... heres the question.

I have two physical drives; one of which is partitioned (500gig). I do this to keep My Docs and programs on one partition, and OS on the other (smaller).

My plan is to install Win7 64 on the small partition of the 500g. Will it affect the other partition and/or the additional physical drive? I guess my question is... will 64-bit have any problems with 32-bit files? (I'm thinking that may be a stupid question.... as I file share no problem between 64 and 32 bit systems).

Anything I should be concerned about? I have to be extra careful to not format the wrong drive. I can't lose My Docs. Win7 won't want to format the entire physical drive will it?

Any other tips are welcome. (btw, I found a great article last night about some of the pitfalls when installing the "upgrade" version of Win7 on XP. So, I'm not concerned about that.)

2. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX
    windows wont kill your partitions. Just tell it to format and install @ the old partition (you cant update 32bits to 64bits OS)ñ

32bit apps will work on win7 x64 unless they are too old and have strange problems on such. 99% of them works (also take care that you dont have registry and they'll need a reinstall).

3. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    The best way to avoid formatting the wrong HDD is to disconnect it completely whilst You are installing.
    I actually run XP 32 and Win7 64 on my system, separate HDD's of course. I just go into the boot selection menu and select the XP hdd if and when I need it.

Make sure the extra 2 gigs of DDR 1 ram You get is the same speed and timings of Your Gskill Ram, otherwise You could get BSOD and other issues happening.

Personally with that system I would just leave XP on it and only use W7 with a newer build, but that is Your decision.

If You do install W7, I would recommend tweaking it
    http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/index.html

Whatever You do, xp is always faster, more so on an older system.

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Windows XP is old news, just clean it off and upgrade to 7 for good. You get its 64-bit glory and still be able to run 32-bit applications. Although, your system is quite dated, so you may not appreciate the new features as much as your rig will slow down a bit.

deltatux

5. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Use FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from a PE CD to fix your XP install, backup everything that's important to you and don't stress about a format/install.

I've run across this same thing over and over in my computer repair business - someone gets an update, hard-offs the computer, then they're screwed and bring it to me.
    I spend all of 5 minutes with FIXMBR and FIXBOOT, check their boot.ini file to make sure it's pointing to the right disk and partition, then let it sit for 2 hours so they think I did something magical, then charge them $100 when they come to pick it up.

Important thing here is to back up your important data - I can't stress that enough. In this business, I couldn't even tell you how many people back up their data, but it can't be 2% of them...meaning that when something really bad happens (blackout/surge that damages the read/write heads in the HDD, or an HDD failure), they come to me and I charge 'em a ton of $ to get their data back. Don't be one of those people - just get an external HDD and back up your stuff.

Nowthen, if you can get your hands on a PE disk like BartsPE, you can drop Testdisk on it and set the MBR with Testdisks' default MBR, then use FIXBOOT and you're back into your current XP install - then back up your stuff to an external source, then as mentioned, disconnect any/all drives that you don't want your OS on, then let Win7 format to it's heart's content!

Good luck and take care,
    Psychlone

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Couldn't you drop into the command line and do:
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr

to rewrite the MBR with Windows' generic bootloader?

deltatux

7. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sure...if you can get to a command prompt.

Thing is, on most of the systems I've gotten in the last 26 years, there is no command line available because Windows is borked to the point that there's no safe mode, no last known good, nothing bootable at all. (or those options didn't exist in the case of Win2, 3, 3.1, etc.)

I trust Testdisk, but there's a catch - in the wrong hands, Testdisk can dick a drive to death with incorrect cylinder settings or anything else. Testdisk is a VERY powerful utility, and only should be used to fix the MBR in unbootable machines unless you know what you're doing with the program.

Of course, if you could get a command prompt, you could simply do a CHKDSK with the /r switch and you'd probably be good to go in about 75% of the cases...but that's a really big IF on getting to a command prompt in the first place.

I have Testdisk on my own utility CD built off of BartPE and UBCD4Win. I'd die without my utility CD (I actually have 12 different copies of the same CD because I often have 20 different computers here at a time!)
    I've found that Testdisk does the MBR rewrite quickly, efficiently, and easily - and since your already booted to a preinstall environment, there's no worries about getting the syntax correctly or anything else that can come up because Testdisk does it for you.

Now, on a bootable system (bootable meaning that there's at least 1 safe mode avail i.e. Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt), then simply running CHKDSK /R would more than likely fix the problem, and if it didn't, SFC /SCANNOW probably would.

I've also done it this way:
    Boot to your XP CD, choosing the Recovery Console repair-option instead of the Install option.
    Once inside the Recovery Console, run (in this order):
    CHKDSK /R
    FIXMBR
    FIXBOOT
    BOOTCFG /REBUILD (y to verify)
    then ensure Microsoft XP Home Edition (or whatever version you have) is set as the identifier, along with /FAST DETECT for the load options.

...that works as well, but I prefer Testdisk on my utility CD because there are a ton of other utilities that I can use while I'm there - like antivirus scanners when I know a virus caused the problem, ERD Commander's System Restore for rolling back to a previous restore point created by Windows, ERD Commander's Partition Manager (along with all the other ERD Commander utilities), and a whole slew of hardware and OS diagnostic programs.
    I'm a guy that takes efficiency very seriously. In my business, time really is money, and the quicker I can kick these computers out of here, the quicker I can get others in - this is how I make good money...in turnaround.
    So, that being said, it's imperative to me to use my specialized, unique utility CD to fix such a small problem because there's at least 3 other things that I can do with the machine while I'm in there (like a quick general cleanup of the temp folders, history, log files, cache, etc. with Ccleaner and ATF for instance)

Anyway, I really think the main point for the OP is to ensure a good backup FIRST AND FOREMOST so that in the event that something really bad happens (like he screws up and lets Win7 format the entire drive and accidentally wipes all the partitions), then he's got something to start from once the OS is installed properly.

If I were in the same position as the OP, I would do what I could to get my data backed up - if that means pulling the drive and putting it in another computer as a 'slave' is easier and quicker, then by all means, but if it's the only computer around, then I'd be all for fixing the current OS boot problem, then backing up the data so I wouldn't have to worry about anything destroying all my hard work.

Anyway, that's my input. Hope it helps the OP and/or anyone else that stumbles across this thread.

Psychlone

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  8. Guinness

Guinness Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC / 512MB
    Thanks for in the feedback.

Usually, I can just fix XP and get it back up and running. But in this case, since I can't even get to a command prompt, I thought it was toast. Sounds like I should just boot off of the XP disk to command prompt, fix the MBR (somehow), and run XP.

Too bad I already took the wrapping off of the Win7 box. Can't return it now. (well, I could try... probably could make a compelling argument).

But on the other hand... I want to upgrade to Win7.

But now I"m thinking I should upgrade mobo, cpu, and mem. As, it sounds that even with 4 gigs of ram (yes, it'd be the exact same), it might not be as 'wonderful' as I hope.

Your thoughts?

9. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think it's still an UPgrade, regardless of how it's going to run!

I deal with a LOT of computers on a daily basis, and I can tell you from a professional viewpoint that it's a *pleasure* to work on a Windows 7 machine, even if it happens to be a little slow - compared to XP, which seems so archaic.

You'll be able to fix your MBR...just follow the steps I wrote down for the Recovery Console and you'll be back up in no time.

In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to read a little about replacing your current registry with one of the backups from a restore point - IF your registry has become corrupted in the process that caused the failure...knowing a little trick like that can help you overcome a HUGE hurtle at some point, perhaps sooner than you think. Also, if you don't know how to do a repair install of XP, you should read up on it. Repair installs for Vista and 7 are straightforward, but in XP, if you make a wrong keypress because you're thinking "it's THIS repair option, right?", you're chancing wiping everything and installing fresh - or installing parallel with the current install.

Anyway, all just food for thought. You're more than likely going to be able to repair the MBR and boot all the way into XP, giving yourself time to back up your important stuff, and then give Win7 a try... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    When you're done installing Win7, check out BLACKVIPER'S SERVICES TWEAKS - he even made it fool-proof by making reg files that you simply download and click to get all the services tweaked at once. This will make your new Win7 install seem even snappier on your older machine.

Good luck!

Psychlone

10. Guinness

Guinness Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC / 512MB
    Thanks for the info and help.

I already moved files, as I used puppy linux.

Furthermore, I already kept "my docs" in a separate partition from the XP OS partition... AND, I backed up to another physical Drive also.

I have Win7 on a laptop (the one I'm using to type this.) I really like it.

For a couple hundred more $'s, I can rebuild my system. It's time. That old 4400 x2 isn't tired, but that's maxed out. I use Vista (barf) at the office, so I'm used to that new gui feel, and when I get on the home pc with XP, I notice the difference.

Here's my upgrade plan... ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, or DFI AM3 board. Phenom II x4 2.6 or 2.8. 4g of 1600 mem. I'll keep my current vid card and psu. My main 500g HD is already SATA. I should like the results. :)

11. Guinness

Guinness Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC / 512MB
    $450 later....

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 Has onboard vid, but that's ok. It had firewire and ide, which I need.

Phenom II 555 (I think) Black 3.2ghz X2 (hopefully, I can unlock to a Quad)

320gb 7200rpm sata drive (I'll use this for OS. Have a 500gb Sata + and IDE drive for backup. No room for IDE drive anymore, so wanted additional physical drive.)

Cooler, full copper bottom plate, 5 heat pipes

4gb of Corsair Mem (2 x 2gb) Latency 9. DDR3 1333Mhz.

I haven't rebuilt system since socket 939 was the thing. Started old system with 3000+, upgraded to 4400+ a couple of years ago. I'm expecting this new setup to last as long as my old DFI board. I'm assuming AM3 won't turn into another 939. But knowing technology, it probably will. lol

The Win7 I bought is the "upgrade" version. Hopefully, it'll see XP on the other HD, and I won't have to go through the hassle of calling MS.

Anyways, should be a good setup when all said and done. (At least for me.)

12. Guinness

Guinness Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC / 512MB
    Interesting... On the AMD website, my processor is listed as not being a Black edition, but Fry's had it listed as black, and the box says black???

What is black anyways?

It is a AMD Phenom II 555

13. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    Nice build. Hopefully, you'll get at least one working core out of it. I would have went for a non-BE Athlon II X4 or a lower-end AM3 Phenom II X4, but even as a dual core, Phenom II offers great performance for the price.

Actually, you don't even need to have an older version of XP or Vista to use the Upgrade disc. It can make fully registered/legitimate Windows 7 installation (identical to a full install disc) on a hard drive without detecting an older version. I'm sure there's a lot of users out there that take advantage of this cost-cutting measure and save a bit on cash while still retaining the benefits of having a retail (vs. OEM) serial key.

14. Guinness

Guinness Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC / 512MB
    How to?

15. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well, the OEM version costs $99 and I think the upgrade is around the same price, so I suggest just using the OEM version. Surprisingly, they're actually transferable even though Microsoft says it isn't lol.

As for that hardware specs you listed, the 555 is a BE processor.

As for XP being archaeic, once I used Vista, XP instantly became archaeic especially in terms of security (I'm in a computer security program, so ofc, security to me is important) and XP couldn't come close to the security level of Vista.

deltatux

16. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    y, do 'upgrade' as a clean install w7
    upgrading winxp is waste of time and cause instability and...and it isnt so fast as clean install, lots of garbage stays
    u just need a clean partition for this

17. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX
    and you cant upgrade 32bits to 64bits ithink

18. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ya, you can't directly upgrade from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. You need a clean install.

deltatux

19. Guinness

Guinness Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC / 512MB
    Everything installed. Just need to power up. The friggin' Cooler Master GeminiII S is HUGE! It was a bit nerve racking uninstalling the OEM cooler bracket and installing this one. Worked, but never thought I'd be removing parts off the board.

I am esentially doing a clean install of Win 7, as the new HD I purchased (WD 320g 7200) will run the OS. Old XP is still on the other 500gb HD (partitioned).

Hopefully, I'll have it all up and running in the next few hours. Once Win7 is installed, I'll have a boat load of software to install.

Right now I have the core unlock switch disabled, as I want it to be as stable as possible for the OS install. Once installed, I'll unlock the other cores (fingers crossed that I have 1 or 2 more cores).

Question: you guys know anything about TurboII? It's currently disabled, but I could enable it. Not sure if I need to, or if it's worth the effort.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If I can run Win 7 X64 on my system very well, your system can handle it just fine. And it was one of the best upgrades I have ever done as my computer is actually running faster now.