XP dx9 or Windows 7 dx10?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by daz2712, Jun 7, 2011.

1. daz2712

daz2712 Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4850 512mb
    Currently running DX9 on XP with a radeon 4850.

Been thinking about upgrading to Windows 7 and was just wondering if the games would look/run better if I used Windows 7 DX10.

Is there any noticeable performance/graphics gain between the two or is it not worth bothering?

2. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    IntelĀ® HD Graphics
    Its nothing to do with the OS as such more as to whether the developer has coded the game for the higher DX version. Some graphical features are only available for higher DX versions and some techniques will run in a more optimised way in the higher DX versions.

So basically check whether your games actually have an option for DX 10 before worrying about it.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Well upgrading from (stoneage) XP to Win7 isn't bad to do anyways if you want to keep playing games. Because most future games wont have XP support.

4. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    JetStream 980Ti
    With your system id stick with xp, only a few games have dx10 even less have no dx9

5. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Win7 likes 4 gig of ram and a nice quad core would be welcome as well so with your current rig id stick with xp and only upgrade os after you upgrade the pc then you would be best suited for some dx11 gaming.

The difference between dx9 and dx11 isnt blow your socks off better it is nicer dont get me wrong but you arent missing out on a huge amount so until future games are win7 only your still fine imo.

6. amieneel

amieneel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    it ur choice, but i like win 7, coz it is the best os microsoft have ever made ..

7. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Win7 ran fine on my E8500, even better compared to xp.
    Although I do find they are remarkebly similar.
    In answer to your questions:
    No, games will not look better since you can't run them maxed out anyways.
    Even then, you will have to search for differences. DX9 is still fine.
    No, they will not run faster under DX10. Probably slower.
    It's not worth bothering. I run a game that has the option of dx10/11, and I tried it on and off. Like said, you have to look very hard to notice differences, and it will not run smoother on my pc.

For example, I have to cripple settings in witcher2 to get decent frames.
    Our cards do a fine job, even today, but games are not optimized anymore for the 48xx series, especially dx10/11 featured games.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    WTF are you smoking? Win7 runs just fine on a single-core Atom N270.... Win7 will run just fine on the OP's system.

9. Larry!

Larry! Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 295
    Agreed. I have it on my desktop and my net-top works mint with ion\atom and 1g ddr800. Also just fell back to 2g ram on my desktop and everything still moves along just fine. Besides the games that use dx10 look arguably similar on dx9.