Xonar STX or Phoebus

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by liakinen, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If you're going to use two different headphones, you might as well keep the phoebus. The EssenceSTX doesn't support analog 7.1. As far as the difference in quality between the STX/Phoebus, I doubt it's much. Unless you're listening through $1000 headphones, you probably wouldn't be able to tell. The moddable opamps of the STX is nice, but the 7.1 tradeoff isn't, if I used 7.1, I'd rather have that than slightly different sound (it's hard to call the sound better, the opamps kind of just change the parameters of the music a bit).

As for the headphones, I'm a sennheiser fan myself. 595's was probably one of the best purchases I ever made. I've been considering stepping up to HD800/700 but I heard they aren't as good for the music type I listen too. But then again, a lot of people said the 595's weren't either but I love them.

If you like bass and are going for ~400 I'd look into Denon

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AHD2000-Performance-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B000MVEC0Q

They are definitely bassy but they do everything else really well too. You're not going to get bass from senns. Don't get me wrong, senns will go low, but the AHD2000's are way heavier.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There is quite a bit of difference in component quality between the STX and Phoebus and the Recon3D shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

If you want the surround headphones, the Phoebus is your best bet.

3. rm - ottawa

rm - ottawa New Member

GPU:
    2 SLI GTX580 3GB
    Thanks for the insights, I do enjoy the surround sound and will stick with my Phoebus. I also will hang on to the 7.1 Tiamat's Also thanks to Denial for the Denon AHD2000 referral; I am seriously considering ordering a pair of these for music, to compliment the gaming tiamat's. Do you guys think the AHD2000 will be a great choice for bass music, and decent value at $369.99? If I invest in these, I will have high expectations as I am already enjoying new Tiamat's for pretty good sound.

Just as a footnote, the Phoebus is the first card I've ever purchased, and the Tiamat's are the first headset above Steelseries quality I've invested in, I'd like to complete the "trifecta" by adding a very nice bass pair of headphones that will make me smile as I turn them on :)

Thanks again for the input!

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Beyerdynanic dt770 pro 250 ohm is supposed to have kicking bass and wont break your piggy bank either

5. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If you're aiming for that price tag off the bat, rather than working your way up you could also take a look at the Sennheiser HD600's. Some prefer them to the more expensive 650's. Although as Denial said the Denon's linked are fantastic headphones and have heavier bass.

I'd recommend reading some reviews over at head-fi.org on cans (headphones) within your price range. You might also want to figure out what sort of 'bass' you enjoy. Some people like an overpowering boom, some people like something more subtle with good clarity and definition.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Basically at any given price tag there are going to be a bunch of models that compete there and belong there. $400 is probably a good price, because after that diminishing returns set in and the money in doesn't equal the quality out any longer.

I mean, yeah a pair of $1000 headphones will be better than $500 ones, but definitely not anywhere near the same level of $10 ones to $500 ones.

But yeah, anything at the ~$400 price range is going to be good. I just know the AHD2000's are known for their bass. I had a pair but sold them because I liked the 595's more, but I don't really care for bass. If you like trance/techno etc type music AHD2000s were awesome for that. I listen to mostly metal though and the 2000's are meh when it comes to reproducing it, in my opinion anyway.

I would look over to head-fi.org and make a post there about $400 headphones with good bass. The guys over there can probably give you excellent suggestions.

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    It wasn't just newegg reviews. The patch notes for the drivers even mention the problems being fixed.

It's cool that they fixed the issues. It's really just frustrating that people have to troll and flame over stupid things.

That being said, I still recommend the Xonar STX for headsets/headphones.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Somebody doesnt know the true meaning of troll or flame :book:

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Please don't quote that troll. He is on my ignore list. Reading that quote just proves nothing of relevance was said as usual

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Will do, lol. i came close to doing the same thing.

11. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm not sure what experiences you two have had with GhostXL, but he's not usually what I would consider a 'troll'. Maybe I've missed something? I agree that he's wrong in this, but that doesn't constitute a troll. I've seen posts where he's been quite helpful even.

He might be a bit easy to upset, but then I'd attest that some in here can come across as a little aggressive. Not to me, and it doesn't bother me - but I've friends who feel a little intimidated by how some act. I wont name them, as they don't want me too. Not saying you're wrong guys, but it might be an idea to give a little, you know? Be a bit more friendly.

12. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Those two go around and do this a lot. I really don't care about it. I just report their posts.

Those two will gang up in threads more often than not.

Those two being TK and Agent.

The way they comment comes off very trollish/rude, and it's not just me that sees it that way.

I'm not sure what you would consider me wrong about. When the release notes clearly state that BF3 was fixed. There were issues with the card before, and I had no idea they were fixed as of yet. All I did was state that fact, and I was treated pretty poor over it. The Newegg reviews were just an example of some people having the issues. There were more than that being reported in the BF3 EA forums also.

That was my whole point. That and the Xonar Essence STX is imo still best for headphone/headset gaming.

I'm in no way saying the Phoebus is a bad card, so nobody has to get defensive over that either.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    It seems the OP has the info he is looking for no reason to dredge up old posts and start arguing about them again. Let's move on.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    +1 bot

15. liakinen

liakinen New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670-DC2T-2GD5
    I came back to say Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys. Last week i found time to build my new system and of course test my new love :D(STX). My settings for Xonar Audio Center:
    Audio Channel: 2 Channels
    Sample Rate: PCM 44.1 KHz
    Analog Out: Headphones
    DSP Mode: HF
    Result: Oh my god, amazing sound. By far the best purchase i made the last years.

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Glad we could help. Enjoy.

17. sovereignty68

sovereignty68 New Member

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970
    STX if you use headphones for sure.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Both cards are very similar for headphone circuitry.

19. Dawico

Dawico New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx580 SOC * 2
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I think it has been helpful to me (among many other websites, i'm going crazy figuring things out :banana:)

After looking at things for ages I decided to purchase a pair of Sennheiser pc360's and I'm now looking at getting a good sound card to make the most of them. I know the pc360's don't really need an amp but I've also read many people saying that it makes them sound better... not sure whether to get a soundcard with one or not. If it's worth it I'm currently tossing up between the mentioned STX and the Phoebus.

I'm am mainly a gamer who also uses the computer to watch tv/movies and listen to a little music but gaming is definitely my main purpose. Having said that I'm not a hardcore fps gamer (I do play bf3 but I'd say I'm only an average player) and I play MMO's, RTS's etc more so than fps.

I have an old cheap logitech 5.1 speaker system that I know won't plug into the stx as well as it would on the phoebus but with spending so much on a soundcard and headset I doubt i'll use em much at all anyway.

Any recomendation or advice between the two would be greatly appreciated.

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Grab the Phoebus as it will give you the options for surround sound for your speakers.