Xonar STX or Phoebus

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by liakinen, Jul 11, 2012.

1. liakinen

liakinen New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670-DC2T-2GD5
    Which one do you think i should pick (both have 170€ - Greece).
    Already have Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II, Sennheiser HD 555 & HD595. I want Movies (Blu-ray), games and music. Most of the time i use my Headphones.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Phoebus if you use headphones for sure.

3. liakinen

liakinen New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670-DC2T-2GD5
    But if we look at specs Xonar STX/ST and Phoebus come with "almost" the same headphone amplifier. One think i don't like on Phoebus is the "The Break Out Module" (more cables).

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    The Xonar STX if you use headphones, the STX has op-amp sockets which the phoebus doesn't have. So you cant swap the op-amp on the phoebus from generic to better ones. While you can change out the jRcs on the STX I/V's to LME49720NA's etc. Also amazon tends to sell the STX cheaper then the phoebus. I usually see the STX's for $150-169.

The only reason to get the phoebus is if you need 5.1 speakers support thru analog or 5.1 headset analog support.

5. liakinen

liakinen New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670-DC2T-2GD5
    I don't need 5.1 support and like you said STX has op-amp sockets. Ok STX is great for movies and music but can you tell your experience in games.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  7. liakinen

liakinen New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670-DC2T-2GD5
    Yes i know my friend, i have already read the review but if you take in consideration the above (5.1 support..., The Break Out Module) i can't understand why phoebus is better gaming card from STX.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The Phoebus can also provide surround sound for gaming. The STX is limited to stereo for analog, but you can get modeled surround ala' Dolby Headphone.
    Either cards will be good for any audio related task. Just when they where designed they had specific tasks in mind. You can game on the STX just fine on the STX with headphones or stereo speakers.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  9. liakinen

liakinen New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670-DC2T-2GD5
    Thanks ROBSCIX i was waiting your opinion. I'm going to order STX tomorrow.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    The STX been doing very great in games, I haven't had any issues with it as I game. Just like it sound great with music and movies, it also sound great with games. I have used Dolby headphone but I use it off and on. When I do use Dolby headphone I use DH1 Ref as it doesn't add any echo or reverbs to the sound, and I set the speakers to 5.1 as it spreads the sound out with Dolby headphones. But most times I don't enable Dolby headphone because of the good sound positional and sound imaging of my headphones.

If you do get the Xonar STX, The headphone amp out uses the op-amps that are in the I/V sockets of the sound card, I suggest you chance them. But you do not have to.

11. liakinen

liakinen New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670-DC2T-2GD5
    Thanks GenClaymore for your suggestions.

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Glad I could help, if you are looking for the highest quality sound for your headphones, the STX would be the right choice out of those two products you listed. Post your impressions when you get it.

13. robert1990

robert1990 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 iCoolerV750/1100
    Both of them are good products, but if you are using headphone all the time, better get the STX. It has more powerful headphone amplifier (but still, can't beat a dedicated headphone amp :)) It can drives my HD650 easily, and I never had a problem with sound positioning when gaming :)

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Actually, the Phoebus and STX use pretty much the same circuit for headphone amplification. They wold produce equal amounts of power for headphones.

15. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    STX vs Phoebus

I'm going to guess it's cheaper to make the Phoebus then the Essence STX
    and the Phoebus is targeted for gamers, so I would not be surpised if the Phoebus started dropping in price by Christmas, losing value on the used market.

16. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    When you mentioned dropping prices,I was curious as to how much the Xense could be had for. They didn't drop the price,they dropped the product. I looked everywhere,and no Xense or Xense bundle available. The fact that the Xense came with headphones,may be why the Phoebus came to market. A lot of people wanted the Xense,but without headphones. Now you can get a card every bit as good as the Xense without the added cost of a set of headphones you may not want or need. The Xense has become a very rare sound card. I'm hanging on to mine. And the Phoebus too.

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    As soon as new cards come out, the older crop becomes rare.
    The great thing about it is good sound is good sound, today or 6 months from now.
    Audio cards are not outdated i the same way other PC gear is.

18. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    It only time before both ST and STX get dropped and get replaced by something else. I betting if they did drop it, it prolly be replaced by something similar to the phoebus but with op-amp layout of the STX.

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    Don't get the Phoebus right now, it's plagued with driver issues. The card BSOD's BF3, and many other games. Not saying it wont be fixed, just as of right now it's a mess.

Just go look at newegg reviews, many people are upset.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I have no issues with that soundcard. those newegg reviews are old, new drivers have been released since the 4 people said they have driver problems