Xonar STX and Microphone Boost

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by raif, Feb 10, 2018.

1. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    Hey all,

So I've been using an STX for the past 5 years and started to have some microphone static. I noticed that it has to do with the microphone boost but I haven't found anywhere I can change the microphone boost, only turn it on and off.

Here's some screenshots:
    https://imgur.com/p31lC7t
    https://imgur.com/A1ZvGa7

I've searched around but can't find a single place to edit the microphone boost in the Asus Xonar software either, unless I'm blind.

Anyone know what to do here?

Edit - I all of a sudden also noticed that my speakers are also emitting a low tone sound that is cyclical in nature when there's no sound from the PC going on.

Sound card dying and time to replace?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Mic boost is an on-off switch. You can't do anything else with it.

As for the noise, unplug the speakers from the sound card. Does the noise persist? Also, test it with headphones.

3. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    I unplugged the speakers - no noise
    Plugged speakers into the onboard soundcard - no noise

Unfortunately don't have headphones available to test that part out.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Something else you can try is plug the speakers into another power outlet that is on a different circuit (meaning controlled by a different switch in your home's fuse box.)

What I'm getting at here is that you might have a ground loop that causes this. You can google for ways to fix this. IF it's actually a ground loop problem, of course.

5. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    If it was a ground loop problem, wouldn't I get the same noise if the speakers were plugged into both soundcards? They're both on the same PSU in the same PC, unless the Xonar is that much more sensitive?

Also I plugged the speakers into the headphone out and there was no noise issue either. On top of this, the microphone also has some odd sounds too, static and the occasional whine to people I speak to.

This issue only happens when I plug it into the split red/white connector. I use a cable that combines them to be able to use them together.

Edit - also, would an external solution like a Fios E7 amp and E12 DAC solve this. I will be getting my headphones back sometime soon from repair and they are a Phillips Fidelio X2 HDR

Edit - An example of the sound

Edit a few hours later - So restarting the computer after removing the sound card and cleaning it led me to find that the sound ONLY happens after or while playing a video game and only from the front right/left connectors. If I play a game, the sound happens, I restart the computer and then no sound.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  6. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    So I did some cleaning, removed and swapped some cables around and found that the sound only happens when I play a game - doesn't matter the game at all.

I disabled on board sound and installed the stable set of uni xonar 1.8a instead of the latest Win10 ones I had and - nvm it didn't do anything.

Now when I start up a game, the microphone starts buzzing the second the GPU kicks in. When I turn off the game and let the GPU idle it's clear.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018