Xonar Essence ST updates.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Sep 17, 2009.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Hey Guys, I recently checked with ASUS regarding the Essence ST and when it would be available in the USA. The official information is around mid October. If you have been waiting for these cards then you know they have been coming out very slowly and are very hard to find.

To those unfamilair with this model, it was originally slated to be the PCI version of the highly popular Xonar Essence STX. ASUS changed the design by adding a improved master clocking circuit which lowers jitter and also added a pin header. This header allows connection to the H6 DAC expansion board which allows the card to be upgraded from a 2.0 card to full analog surround.

For further information on this card, the Guru3d Audio Lab did a worlds first Sneak Peak of this new card awhile back which can be found here: Essence ST Sneak Peak

Stay tuned for more information on this and other cards.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

i was just about to ask about st..

so is it still pci ??

mid october.. this week ??

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes still PCI with improved clockign circuit and option to add the H6 DAC expansion board. The informaiton I got was around mid October they should start showing up in the USA.
    I wouldn;t be too surprised if it took a bit longer but the info about them coming to the USA is 100% accurate according to my sources.

4. Matas

Matas Member Guru

GPU:
    Club3D 6950 2GB@990/6300
    Bought Essence ST in Lithuania, waiting for H6:)

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Impressions?

6. Matas

Matas Member Guru

GPU:
    Club3D 6950 2GB@990/6300
    Received only today, will try a little bit later.

7. terente0081

terente0081 Guest

Where can one buy the H6 expansion board? I have the ST, I want the add-on card as well but I can't find it for sale anywhere...
    As for impressions, this is the best sound card I have ever used. The sound quality is sublime. It can drive my Denon AH-D5000 headphones with ease and distortion free at volumes that will most likely cause hearing damage.
    A entry level headphone amplifier doesn't stand a chance in front of the amplifier chip used on this sound card. My Yarland P100 tube headphone amplifier is easily defeated by the ST alone, with the onboard amplification.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You cannot buy them seperatley yet. The ST is just getting to all place aorund the world. The H6 DAC board will follow. The card is already in production for use with the HDAV 1,3 Deluxe so it is just a matter of new packaging and geting it to the dealers.

Yes, it is a great card... The Amp chip can drive most phones easily. For quality it is pretty good but it won't surpass some of the higher end phone ampliifers. OF course they are much more expensive then the entire ST.

9. Matas

Matas Member Guru

GPU:
    Club3D 6950 2GB@990/6300
    So, what I can say... Even with low-end Zalman ZM-DS4F headphones Essence ST blows out of the water my X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS. The sound quality is night and day:)

10. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    My buddy just got the Essence ST and is having problems getting the headphone amp to work. He plugs in the headphone to it and no sound comes out. The RCA outs work just fine so he can use his speakers, he just can't plug in the headphones directly. Did he just get a bad card or is Windows not detecting the headphone output?

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Did he set the card for headphones?
    Both outputs will not work at the same time.

12. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    Yep, he's set the card for headphones and it would not output through them. So far, its only been outputting through the RCA connections, regardless of what he's hooked up. I'll ask him in the morning to be sure he only has the headphone output plugged in and nothing else.

13. terente0081

terente0081 Guest

Your buddy has to enter the Xonar Essence ST Audio Center and set the output to Headphones. If he doesn't do that, the headphones won't play. It doesn't matter if the Headphones are the only jack plugged in.
    He can have RCA and Headphones connected to the card, but he needs to select the output device in the Audio Center.

http://i35.tinypic.com/v31ymb.jpg

14. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    This is what his is set to.

[​IMG]

15. terente0081

terente0081 Guest

It should work. Or, at least, when selected like so, the RCA outs should stop working. If he has stuff plugged into the RCA L R and also the Headphones, when this setup is selected the RCA outs should not work.
    If the RCA outs indeed stop and no sound plays through the Headphones, then the HP section could be damaged.
    If they don't stop.... it's a driver issue? What version is that?

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Doesn't matter what is connected, it matters how the Xonar control panel is set up. Also make sure he is connected to the rear 1/4 phone jack that is the headhone output.

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The card is shipping in Australia, some places in the USA and now in Canada also.

If you have bought this card in a place not listed above please post.

18. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    Newegg is carrying the ST for $209.99 USD. I saw they had it the other day, not sure if you've posted it already but I figure why not? :p

19. HellsAn631

HellsAn631 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 715/1250
    this card is an amazing card. while i have had issues with the ASIO 2.0 drivers for recording latencies (got a windy6 for recording now), i recommend this card highly for those with a nice set of cans. i can hear a big difference between this card and my windy6 on my HD650's.

I got it from a online retailer in London back in September, and no issues. Running Windows 7 x64 currently.

20. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    im planning to get this card soon...upgrading from x-fi extreme gamer..i think its no use to ask whats the sound quality difference between the two...in music im sure its a huge difference...but what about EAX for games?..i dont see EAX in the essence St ...will i be able to run eax in games with this card?...also another question...if u would buy any sound card for listening to music...would that sound card be the Asus xonar essence ST?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009