XGI Review & Benchies (BETA)

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by boomermage, Nov 7, 2003.

1. boomermage

boomermage Guest

Looks like Toms Hardware has published bencharks of the top of the line XGI card.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031107/index.html

It unfortuantely doesn't look too promising. Of course I will respect the fact that the drivers were Beta and incomplete and give it another look when everything is final. It looks like the price point is going to be very competitive but I'll tell you IMO if you want to have any part of the graphics card market you have to own the high end. A manufacturers flagship card helps create an image of performance for the midrange and entry level cards. It's the same as why car companies support race teams.

Oh well.. It is what it is..

2. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    They're still ind evelopment, hopefully new drivers wills ort things out, what i did like was this
    if thats $300 for the V8 duo, that's insane! :p

3. boomermage

boomermage Guest

Well that's really what its all about, competition. With a third player not only will their stuff be cheaper but it will drag down everyones prices.

Of course that is assuming it can compete which, at this point, doesn't look good.

I'll cross my fingers though =)

4. Rukee

Rukee Guest

whadya meen it don`t look good??
    They have a BETA card with BETA drivers and it keeps up to all but the very fasted from the two leaders.....
    I`d say those are very impressive results for a totaly BETA first run set-up.

5. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    I have serious issues about a card that requires two plugs from your power supply to function properly. Looks like this card is a real power user (in terms of electricity.)

Up until the Radeon 9700 Pro, all a video card's power input came from the motherboard. The R9700 Pro changed that. Now, the motherboard no longer has adequate output to run such a graphics card. Usually such a graphics card means you need a heftier power supply.

Now, to run the XGI V8 Volari Duo, you need two plugs into the bloody thing. Even more power required. When will this stop?

6. Rukee

Rukee Guest

the two plugs seem redundant to me....why two??
    the two GPUs should be able to share the one plug.

7. reever

reever Master Guru

GPU:
    9700 Pro softmod
    This doesnt look so promising. It makes me wonder what beta drivers has to do with the deviation in the timedemo scores. No matter how early the drivers are, you shouldn't get results as varied as that, and the filtering quality is sub-par, looks like the blurred trident filtering

8. -Cerberus-

-Cerberus- Guest

Wow, the final release better really be something, because those benchmarks suck.

9. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    If XGI is able to get their final products to be competetive, that's good for us. Competition is good for the customers and it will drive the prices downward.:D

10. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    Palit 7300GT DDR 550/1500 ^_^
    well its still beta. i hope it wont be like nvidia drivers which almost a year to be fully optimized

11. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    hmm, from the screenies of the control panel it seems the Volari will only support up to x4 AF...wtf???

12. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Unlike Nvidia XGI won't be allowed a year to tweak drivers after its release. They need to be good with minimal bugs at release. I really want them to be sweet, esp if they're affordable.

13. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    But seriously, only x4 AF on a card that is on par with 5900 and 9800 at the very least...what's the point?

14. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Perhaps it does it better?
    Don't forget that it differs from card to card.

15. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    I will be getting one of those cards when they start coming out, sure an FX 5900/ R 9800 may be better ,but I think I'll take a gamble and get one of those cards.