XGI new video Card

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by shaten, Sep 16, 2003.

1. the_cleric

the_cleric Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    i think this will be more like a kyro II to GF2 Ultra comparison....i think this GFX Card will suck
    even if the drivers only suck right now....who the hell would even release a test sample with such drivers???

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  2. dwarf

dwarf Guest

It's XGI.

Not GFX

3. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    GFX means graphics card. He meant "i think this graphics card .... " (i believe)

4. the_cleric

the_cleric Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    idiot :rolleyes:

no only joking

glidefan's right

5. Neal

Neal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Ti4200 128mb
    deadlines...press releases...warm up the crowds...have u ever released a "GFX" card before? its quite complicated...espically takin on the big boys of ATI and Nvidia

6. Twinke Masta

Twinke Masta Guest

i think there is some hope in this card, they should delay and get some nice stuff drivers and card optimiztion then realease right before the NV40 adn R420 to hitch the market for a few weeks :D

7. reever

reever Master Guru

GPU:
    9700 Pro softmod
  8. Hydron

Hydron Active Member

GPU:
    Msi NX6800GT-TD256
    lo9l what the hell are those card with 4 chip

9. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    You mean a 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000?

10. Blissed

Blissed Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 8800GTS 320mb
    I don't see this generation of XGI compting with the top end nVidia and ATi cards. However, they need to release a stable and competitive product to gain support for the second and probably most important of all third generation of releases.

11. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    ooo Blissed, so you're on DearWandy and here as well.

oops, off topic.

Anyway, I agree with you on this one, unless they can get the average joe to realise that there's more to graphics cards companies than Nvidia and ATi (negating the other crappos like S3 ahem), ofc a marketing campaign is very costly and probably not too effective as most games these days appear to be sponsor by Nvidia with that rather ridiculous "The way it's meant to be played" slogan.

12. Xaero001

Xaero001 Guest

If i can get a hold of one of these I can make Starstorm drivers for it.

13. Beavis

Beavis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K620
    Just one thing, I don't know if its already been mentioned but...its does get 5000+ marks in 3dmark03 but what about image quality will it look cool as an ATi card or nVidia??? That's what I wanna know.

14. ecksmen

ecksmen Guest

At the end of the day, for anycompany to come straight in a the TOP end of G'cards and expect to be top dog is pushing it somewhat. I for one would love to see these guys do well, it means more competition and better cards for us !!!

However its the price of the cards that concern me, they seem way to high. If they priced it lower then poeple would buy the cards, cos they would kick the arse outa the mid range section for sure. Image quality will come with future updates to their drivers. Lets just hope they can provide decent drivers, which dont impact performance.

On a side note has anyone seen how these cards handle doom 3 and Half Life 2 ? That could be a good selling point - Maybe.

Im waiting for my 9800 to arrive 0 for £187 i ant going to risk going to XGI not this early.

Ecksmen

15. xXMrMeathooksXx

xXMrMeathooksXx Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 295's Quad sli
    Well from what ive seen allready from the Volari Duo ultra isent to great.In the benchmarks Ive seen so far a 5600 ultra keeps up just fine,and that card is supposed to compete with the top of the line Geforce and ATi?To me,it is looking bleak.It is rated at 256mb of ram and sad to say it will only be able to utilize 128megs of it due to the dualchip interface.Why not make a single chip haul major ass? 5800 ultra...even with the ddr2 memory and high clock speeds,it still wasent a high performer,I believe the Volari will perform the same,struggling to keep up.So what it amounts to is a fancy voodoo remake and 256mb of ram(128usable) and drivers that barely work a dissapointment to those willing to fork $500+.See for youselves on the benchmarkings... http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/stalker_5.html There are multiple benchies for you to see.I could be wrong about the whole thing,but I hope im wrong..

16. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    Palit 7300GT DDR 550/1500 ^_^
    its still has a broken AA and AF. ive seen the benchies in the general hardware forums.

17. Dr@Home

Dr@Home Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570
    hmm so the new cards didn't start off well...bummer :-(

i hope only a good driver is need to make this into competition for ATI/Nvidia

18. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    I certainly won't spring for one anytime at all. It consumes too much electricity. It's not really a "practical"card. If I could do it all over again, I would probably choose a Radeon 9800 Pro because it takes up only the AGP slot and not the adjacent PCI slot as well. The Radeon 9800 Pro is a very "practical" card. It requires only one molex connector.

Hope the drivers improve for XGI, otherwise this one's a dud.

19. xXMrMeathooksXx

xXMrMeathooksXx Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 295's Quad sli
    I agree,it seems like a premature launch to me,if your going to release a new card company into the dominating world of Nvidia And Ati wouldent you make sure your products are able to atleast keep up with the competitor?The base line 5600u has no trouble at all keeping up with XGI top o the line card.Drivers are the key to sucsess for these guys.I just dont like the memory aspect of the whole deal.If im going to pay an arm and a left leg for one of these things,atleast double the ram to 512 which would meen 256 usable for textures etc.....think of it this way,128 megs of ram in the near future just wont cut it.And with only half of its memory being able to use,whats the point?It will be useless far sooner then an ati or nvidia 256mb card.Oh well,maybe this will be an issue with their next set of cards.If they get that far,that is....

20. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    Palit 7300GT DDR 550/1500 ^_^
    shadows dont appear correctly. i hope they can make a starstorm driver for it.