XFX rx580 gtr xxx (white) liquid-cooling question

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by joe cheney, Sep 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. joe cheney

joe cheney New Member

GPU:
    xfx rx 580 gtr xxx
    hi, and i'm sorry if this question has been handled before, but i did not manage to locate it while skimming through the titles.
    i own xfx rx580 gtr xxx white LED edition which goes by product number: RX580P8DFWR

this card:
    http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-500-series/rx-580-gtr-8gb-dd-led-rx-580p8dfwr

so far, i haven't been able to successfully match a compatible waterblock with absolute certainty.
    i am not sure of the PCB layout, though i was reasonably sure it was a reference bolt-hole layout until i consulted the EK waterblock compatibility chart wherein it is listed as a custom PCB. prior to that, i had considered the xspc blade waterblock as a potential, as well as a bykski(i think) option and momentarily thought there was a couple by EKWB that may have worked also.

if i can't manage to figure out something via forums, i guess i will finally take a stab at designing my own full coverage waterblock. i realize how ridiculous that may sound, but i am fully aware of the scope of such a project being a machinist; albeit without much of a desire to devote so many hours toward cooling what i consider a very cheap card. i'd probably have thousands of dollars worth of my time and effort invested by the time i finished and not much more than a little bit of education and either a fried or well-cooled videocard, right?

thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some information that might help me in my little quest.

-joe

2. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    The start would be to have a picture of the PCB so it make's it easy to compare to the reference cards. I do know Alphacool does support some RX580 cards but do not seem to support any XFX cards though it might be interesting to compare differences there.

3. joe cheney

joe cheney New Member

GPU:
    xfx rx 580 gtr xxx
    yea, i have done a couple image searches to see the PCB without the stock cooler installed, but i am pretty much just assuming that the photos are labelled correctly. provided that they are, though, it's a pretty run of the mill reference layout as far as the components go but i really don't think it would be safe to make any assumptions about the bolt holes based only on my familiarity with computer parts. if i knew enough to recognize a "typical" pattern or something maybe and i suppose aside from the mosfets, memory, and gpu; the bolt pattern is the most critical thing when looking for a water-block,no? i'd be pretty bummed out of i ordered something and ended up having to modify it or send it back. so i guess that only leaves physically removing the cooler from my own card and that's what i'll do if i'm forced to i guess. i would almost bet money this is a reference bolt pattern though.

4. joe cheney

joe cheney New Member

GPU:
    xfx rx 580 gtr xxx
    except that the EK reference pdf i mentioned earlier specifically lists my card as "custom" as opposed to "reference" or "unknown"

in hindsight, i really wish i would've just sprung for the gtr-s model or a sapphire. i was under the impression that XFX was a pretty mainstream distribution of ati cards, but whether they are or not -- my card seems to be pretty obscure in comparison to the other rx580s in the wild. even in comparison to the XFX cards, 'cause like you said there are several waterblocks intended for other XFX 580's

i have noticed that a large portion of the 480 waterblocks list several 580 cards as compatible. almost all of them, in fact. makes sense, but i am still wary of throwing down 150 bones on anything but certainty. i really hate going through the RMA process.

5. joe cheney

joe cheney New Member

GPU:
    xfx rx 580 gtr xxx
    thanks for the suggestion at any rate. if i had another card to use while i waited; i'd just yank the HSF off of this card and order a block. lol... i could very likely just run it up to the shop and slap it on the mill to move a problematic bolt hole or two without too much grief anyway. feels like cheating though.

6. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    I highly doubt boltholes will be your biggest concern, VRM's are more important and thermal pads only get you so far. I remember using Zalman thermal adhesive to glue a old CPU block to a TNT2 back when there wasn't really a need to cool VRM's so connecting the block should not be too hard.

After inspecting both PCB's i can see a that the VMem is placed slightly lower on the XFX model. Both the Alphacool and EKWB fullcoverblock has a cutout for that part that's a bit higher up so that won't fit without modifications.

7. joe cheney

joe cheney New Member

GPU:
    xfx rx 580 gtr xxx
    you are suggesting using a waterblock that doesn't align properly to my PCB with thermal adhesive?

8. joe cheney

joe cheney New Member

GPU:
    xfx rx 580 gtr xxx
    do you mind linking me to the pcb you're referring to, i can't seem to find a photo showing the GTR pcb

seems like i can find everything BUT the gtr. gtr-s, gts, 480 gtr, i may have to just pop this damn thing apart, huh

9. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    [​IMG]

This is the PCB for the GTS. Do note the Memory VRM at the right side of the board that is placed near the top on reference PCB hence the standard blocks wont work without modifications. Also i don't advise to use thermal adhesive but it's a last ditch thing if you really want to get liquid cooling going on your card though i personally don't think a RX580 is worth liquid cooling.