XFX R7260x in an old Alienware Area 51 (Q9400, Asus P5N-D, Win10,...) "Display Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by hbarcellos, Sep 14, 2015.

1. hbarcellos

hbarcellos New Member

GPU:
    6870 Radeon
    Hello All,

Sometime ago my son started using my old Alienware Area-51, which consists on a solid Q9400, Asus P5N-D, 8GB RAM on a Thermaltake 775w PSU.

Until some days ago we were using a Radeon 4850 & Windows 10. Rock Solid machine, but unable to run some newer DirectX games like Crysis 3.

Then (I regret) we decided to take a second hand XFX R7 260x.

Well, the nightmare begins: After installing the latest Catalyst, several constant: "Display Driver Stopped Working and has Recovered" notifications.

I tried several steps:

Uninstalling Catalyst normally and reinstalling latest beta drivers: Same problem
    Uninstalling Catalyst with DDU (newer name of Driver Sweeper) and installing latest driver: Same problem
    Uninstalling Catalyst with DDU (newer name of Driver Sweeper) and installing latest beta driver: Same problem
    Updating BIOS with last ASUS P5N-D version: Same problem
    Uninstalling Catalyst with DDU (newer name of Driver Sweeper) and installing old Catalyst (8.1 version from circa April/2014, which I suspect was the time when R7 260x was launched: DIFFERENT PROBLEM. Blue Screen of Death with 0xa000001 (or something like it)

Then I got suspicious with the PSU. Took my voltmeter out of the closet and:
    Rock solid voltage out of PSU connectors

My next two steps are:
    1) Take another hard driver and perform a clean Windows 7 install to test to see if I got the same errors
    2) Start a very tense discussion with the seller to tell him that there's probably a problem with the board (really didn't wanted that)

Some additional thoughts:
    1) As this error 0xa000001 seems to be something related to voltage on the video card. Maybe that could be related to using such a newer card on an old machine. As this card P5N-D has a lot of options to manually increase voltages. Could I try something on NB or SB? if so, someone has some suggestions?

Thanks in Advance,
    Heitor.

2. hbarcellos

hbarcellos New Member

GPU:
    6870 Radeon
    Quick Update.

Took an extra hard drive and tried to install Windows 7 from scratch. Installed latest Catalyst and got the same problem.

Display Driver stopped working.

ANY help would be deeply appreciated.

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    Seems like the second hand 260x was faulty.

4. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    My guess would be that the r7 260x is broken. I don't know if you can use another computer for testing, but my advise would be to install the card in another computer and see if you get the same errors.

5. hbarcellos

hbarcellos New Member

GPU:
    6870 Radeon
    Thank you guys.
    After a ...warm... discussion with the seller, I ended up taking my money back and took a Brand new EVGA GTX 750. I took this one for my (err...) Hackintosh and gave my reliable ASUS 6870 to my kid.

It's working perfectly now.

Just a small -maybe unrelated- question:

Performance at Far Cry 3, for instance, seems not so good. I remember playing on my 3770 and it was way faster. Could all the difference be related to the processor difference:

i7 3770 V.S. C2Quad Q9400?

BR, Heitor.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    Yep, the Core2Quad doesn't fare well these days anymore. The i7 3770 is basically a strong powerhouse still.

http://www.techspot.com/review/615-far-cry-3-performance/page6.html

Your Core2Quad is comparable to the Phenom x4.

7. hbarcellos

hbarcellos New Member

GPU:
    6870 Radeon
    Well, I know it's outdated, but, how much it would affect (ballpark %) a modern game performance?

*PS* Sorry, replied too fast. Reading the link now.
    :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  8. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I played FC3 and FC4 on my old Q9300 @ 3.0GHz and it frequently dipped into the teens even with settings on low. Once I got my i5-4690K the performance was rock solid on high. The engine is just not friendly to those older quad cores.

9. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    what resolution are you trying to play at?

the cpu is getting on a lot now and in any newer games sub 30fps is all your going to get really also the gtx750/Ti is not a very powerful card at all and should really be sold as a media centre / HTPC type card

but hey ho this is nvidia :)