XFX places Radeon R9 390X on website

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 8, 2015.

1. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    I used to use ATI cards before AMD bought them, it seems to have been downhill ever since then.

What went wrong at AMD? They had the glory days of the original Athlons but since then they seem to have made wrong move after wrong move.

2. Musouka

Musouka Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970
    It could be argued that it was Intel who had screwed up at the end of the Pentium era before quickly redeeming themselves.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Partially Intel, partially overspending on ATi. When that merger occurred every single analyst said that they overpaid for them. I mean AMD's entire valuation was worth what they spent on ATi within like 4 years. Plus it didn't help that the first chip they released after the merger was the R600, which was a huge flop. Since then AMD has been bleeding discreet GPU marketshare for nearly a decade now.

4. Kloet075

Kloet075 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gaming G1 970
    Am i missing something?
    Shouldn't the 390X have HBM and not GDDR5?
    Why release a version with GDDR5 if there is one (presumably) coming with HBM which will probably be way faster :|

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The 390x is GDDR5 only. Above the 390x is the Fury X and Fury Pro. Those will have HBM.

6. Kloet075

Kloet075 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gaming G1 970
    Ah like Nvidia does with the Titan series. i get it :)

7. 3LIT3-1

3LIT3-1 Member

GPU:
    2X 1080TI
    I'm hoping the 3 series from AMD has a better attention to detail when it comes to drivers. We need them to be more efficient in crossfire and released on par with Nvidia's drivers for AAA games. As an AMD user the question I'm worried about the most is what's their answer going to be for Gamework enhanced titles ? If they can't perfect Fiji to run at it's maximum potential on Nvidia sponsored games all this effort to introduce stacked memory will be futile.
    For the sake of competitive pricing we all need some type of miracle performance from team red . -fingers crossed !

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  8. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    What wold you like AMD to do about Gameworks titles ?
    it's Nvidia proprietary tech, so they can't do anything except do their best, or reverse engineer it (unlikely).
    Put it this way : What has AMD done about PhysX ? (Nothing, because they can't).

Nvidia will have perfect drivers on release day for Nvidia sponsored titles.
    AMD will try and play catch up, since they will not have had the latest build like Nvidia to develop them on.
    AMD sponsored titles likely do the same for the Nvidia camp.

What we need is to kill proprietary crap, otherwise we're going to end up only with Nvidia and Intel, and $1000 GPU to go with a $1000 CPU.
    yay progress.

9. rockmassif

rockmassif New Member

GPU:
    Unknown
    I was expecting that they were gonna rebrand 290X as 380X and then it was gonna perform around 980. Then slightly cut down version of 390X, 390, comes with 4GB and 8GB variants, performs around 980 Ti, and then 390X comes with only 8GB version and performs tiny slightly better than Titan X and costs 100USD less.

Apparently I was completely wrong about AMD. Total disappointment for me.

10. GAR818

GAR818 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    sad, and pathetic

11. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC
    makes me wonder if this is the reason why Nvidia went ahead and released the TitanX and 980 Ti already before AMD's 3xx cards since they didnt see these cards much of a competition. may be we'll see something at E3 will blow us away.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    I will wait for Oficial Premiere 16.VI on E3 !!!
    FreeSync is on HDMI?
    New 390 without FreeSync?
    BS and no comments, and on XFX is not a single word on R3xx series Yet....

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    just 2 things: about physX it's not that "they can't" it's that they don't want physX is closed source but it is free and NV have proposed it to AMD.

about intel it's not that they "don't want to" it is that they can't inovate enough, intel have so much fund fire power... so they left pro segment, then high end... i was the 1st sorry for them :( (opty fan... but... well... xeon is way better...)

14. igorfiuza

igorfiuza Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7950 Boost 3gb
    Disappointing... Expected, but still disappointing.

Just hope it brings 4K@60Hz full color via HDMI 2.0, and a real nice cut on the price tags.

Just hope...

15. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm quite sure this is crap.

16. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Probably, wait for reviews and real benches.

17. Asgardi

Asgardi Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Hmm...

Explains the 980 TI pricing too. They knew AMD can't compete. Fiji sounds still interesting but if it needs a nuclear power plant to run and is limited to 4Gb memory which is unacceptable for 4K, it will be flop too.

On the other hand I personally won't go AMD no matter how fast their hardware is until they learn to make software too. They should start by fixing typos and missing help texts on the driver installer, lol.

18. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    I've never understood why people by AMD cards. Nvidia just one up's them everytime.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Price

20. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Never used to be that way, both side always traded blows up until ATI became part of AMD. Since then it's been mostly in Nvidias favour, but at a price of course.