XFX GTX285 came intoday...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by crazyguy08, Jan 29, 2009.

1. crazyguy08

crazyguy08 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX285
    and woweee after swapping out my old/new PSU for the OCZ Gaming Edition 700W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

I came across not only a mess of wires that took me 30 mins to hide, i also had to disconnect the red sata cable for ehiter my HD or DVD, so its my DVD. Damn video card blocks 3 of 4 sata ports on my mobo anyone have anyway around this?? if not, i may be screwed

also i used to driver sweeper to remove the old drivers and downloaded the 181.22's from nvidia website. hopefully thats all ill need from the CD that came with the card right? lol

and btw my idle temp is 38-40!! better than 54-56!!

2. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    so... whats your question?

3. crazyguy08

crazyguy08 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX285
    = )
    I came across not only a mess of wires that took me 30 mins to hide, i also had to disconnect the red sata cable for ehiter my HD or DVD, so its my DVD. Damn video card blocks 3 of 4 sata ports on my mobo anyone have anyway around this?? if not, i may be screwed

and...

What driver should i use?
    cause my 1680x1050 no longer displays like it should, my display is slightly cut off around the edges of my screen. never did that on my 8800 an yes i tried all refresh rates

4. BCC335

BCC335 Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 285/Evga GTX 480
    I have an Asus P5k motherboard. Whoever designed the board decided it would be a good idea to put all the sata connectors next to the Pci-e slot. So that if you use the Pci-e slot you will render half your sata connectors unusable. Important thing to remember is that Asus saved two cents and a length of pipe so the profit margin on this particular board went up by 0000000.1 percent :)

In any case the solution is to get some sata cables that have whats called a right angle connector on one end. This will allow the sata cable to fit under the video card. You can find them online at various places. I get mine at www.satacables.com and www.satacable.com. Same company i believe, with two sites. Good luck and hope this helps others with the Asus board :)

5. crazyguy08

crazyguy08 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX285
    o word man! im in luck afterall thats awesome i didnt know they made right and left angle ends im ordering 4 so i have all i need for my mobo

6. crazyguy08

crazyguy08 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX285
    but im still having display issues

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That might help him connect two devices Using the yellow and the black ports.. He'll still have two ports the blue and the white blocked by the right angle SATA. [​IMG]

What I had to do in my case since I have 2 HD's and DVD and a Blu-ray burner is remove part of the shroud on my GTX 280 since all my ports were blocked...I removed the area outlined in red using a dremel tool. Unless you're rich like me and don't give a crap about your lifetime warranty from EVGA, buy a different motherboard. :)

[​IMG]

Now in my case SATA Ports 1&2 are closest to the ram slots...
    5&6 are usable with right angle and they are connected to the DVD and Blu-ray drives.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Is this an LCD right?

9. crazyguy08

crazyguy08 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX285
    yupp i stand corrected, I was flipped that they even had such a thing as a right angle connector that i forgot i could only use 2 duh well for now its just DVD and one HDD but ya that sucks man that u had to cut your card

btw the display thing is worked out, vista kept installing default drivers whenever i re started the comp with the old drivers uninstalled... whats vista way of reboot in safe again? anyways i new card is tight my old furdemo score at 1680x1050 with no aa was 2617 with my bfg8800gt 512 with it oc'd to 700-2617 and then 750- 2854 the xfxGTX285 pulled 1st run at 5525! but with no DVD drive i cant play many games, actually none but merc2

10. crazyguy08

crazyguy08 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX285
    yupp 23" i had to re-set it PC Mode and not VIDEO mode that made a noticable difference. hell id use 1920x1080 but it hard on my eyes as i like to set aways from the comp

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

F8 to boot into safe mode.