xfx 9800gtx+ black edition vs stock

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by KaiserBrandon, Aug 5, 2009.

1. KaiserBrandon

KaiserBrandon Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    I noticed that the xfx 9800gtx+ comes in the black edition and the standard. the black is around $75 more than the standard. however, they seem to both be the exact same card, just a different cooler. anyone know why there's such a big price difference?

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    The 9800GTX BE should have higher clocks but i mean you can overclock yourself anyways so theres not much point.

3. KaiserBrandon

KaiserBrandon Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    ok that makes sense. ya, an extra $70 for something I can do myself is kind of ridiculous.

4. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Most of the Black Edition cards come bundled with a game... Might be why the higher price difference. Could also be limited stock on the black edition inflating the price a bit.

The benefit of the pre-overclocked cards is that they are guarantied to run at those clock rates (as in if they don't you can get them replaced) - with stock cards 99% of the time you can reach the same clocks but they aren't guarantied to do it.

That said, with a $75 price difference I'd get the stock version myself - unless perhaps it did come with a game I didn't have and wanted.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009