XFX 7900 GS Temperature

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DOorDIE, Dec 6, 2006.

1. DOorDIE

DOorDIE Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX/GF 7900 GS (500/1.6)/256
    hey guys i just got one of these XFX 7900 GS PCIe so the thing is that it is running quite hot on stok that is at idle its 56 to 58 C and at load it goes a bit above 70 C but wih a fan on top of it it is like 52 C idle and nearly 70 on work load.... is this normal for the card or is it getting heated cause i had a 7800 GS and it was way cooler than this 7900 GS...

2. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    Upto 70c seems ok .. and u need not worry until ur card starts artifacting .. though the 7900GS's could have had better cooling .. but hey .. like i said .. no worry till u get artifacts ..

3. DOorDIE

DOorDIE Member Guru

GPU:
    ok so i keep testing it with the ATItool which has scan for artifacts is that software good to see it he card is ok or not ....?

4. DOorDIE

DOorDIE Member Guru

GPU:
    how long should i run the test ....??

5. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    Run for about 2-3 hrs. straight ... and don't keep the PC idle .. u keep on doin other light works like browsing etc. etc.

6. DOorDIE

DOorDIE Member Guru

GPU:
    ok will do that ... and if artifacts are there the software will tell me ....? and if there are not there then the card is ok and i can be happy haan ...:)... and yeah one more thing is the cool and quite technology good or bad should i enable it or disable it ... currently is enabled ....?

7. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    Those temps aren't too bad, not good, but not bad either. Mine with the stock cooling was reaching similar temps, so I bought a VF900, doesn't go above 60c now. If you aren't overclocking your card I wouldn't buy any aftermarket cooler, as those temps you have now are within the safety zone. I'd be worried if they were closer to 80 though. And if you do want to overclock, even a bit, consider some sort of aftermarket cooler as the stock ones are kinda junky.

8. CanadianTSi

CanadianTSi Member

GPU:
    7900gs (675/886)
    First thing I did when I got my 7900 was pull off the cooler and replace the crappy thermal paste with some AS5. It would Idle in the low 40's and full load in the low 60's.

9. ectar

ectar New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GS@650/1720
    Mine it 59 when under Oblivion and 3dMark 6, with black evga cooler(not reference model)

10. DOorDIE

DOorDIE Member Guru

GPU:
    ok so i ran the ATItool to scan for artifiacts ..... no errors came but one thing after 2 hours of scanning the temperature reached 81 C is that normal i wasnt doing much on the PC either only one window was open on which i was browsing ....... it was steady for an hour on 65 C and it went to 72 C and then after 2 hours 81 C is that ok but there was no errors so that means the card is ok rite ???

11. iRkuN

iRkuN Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4850 512MB OC
    If there wasn't any artifacts after all the card is OK.
    Although the temp raising is a bit strange. It should stay around 65 for the whole time. Are you sure you didn't stress the PC any other way so that the case temp rise more?
    Another posibility is the ambient room temp. If that goes up (for example turn on the heat) obviously PC temps rise.
    Anyway, i also suggest you to remove the HSF and apply AC5. It will help also for a future OC if you decide it.

12. DOorDIE

DOorDIE Member Guru

GPU:
    well te thing is that i have a huge fan in from of my casing so i removed it so the temp went upto 80.... but then i ant put the fan on it at all times now can I .... and yeah where i am living there is no AC5 or any sorta cooling thing for a VGA so thats why i have a huge fan over it .. I was curious to see how much the temp went if i took the fan away and well 80 C thats where it went ..... well anywayz it there were no errors i can run the card without any problems rite i dont need to change the card or something .... ??? no it runs 46 idle and 60+ on load with the fan and 52 to 53 idle and 70 to 72 on load .... i think after all its ok .... what do you say i should be in any worry that the card is faulty or something .... cause if i have to change it i can in a week after that long wait ..... so wat do you guys say.... is the card good or faulty.....?

13. iRkuN

iRkuN Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4850 512MB OC
    No need to worry. As long as it stays below 80 C or even better below 70 C, there is no reason to do something urgent. These temps are pretty normal for modern cards.
    Stay cool even if your card gets a little hot ;)

14. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    Your card seems fine. And those temps rising a little every hour is normal, usually. If your PC is in a small room with little air movement, like mine, then your ambient air temperature is going to rise once your PC has been on for a few hours. And if you are gaming or stressing the gpu, you will start to notice it even more. I live in Canada, winters are cold, and I will miss my old Prescott for the warmth it brought me, lol!

15. DOorDIE

DOorDIE Member Guru

GPU:
    well thanks people .... yeah my room is small thats why it gets hot i think anywayz thanks for all your help really needed it as the weather here is the opposite to Canada :) so you can guess and the warrenty here is crap and we dont get any A5 or cooling stuff here so easily so computer replacement is a hell of a thing here to do .... anywayz thanks ppl appreciate your help

16. ectar

ectar New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GS@650/1720
    What is temperatue in the room? What is twmp inside ur case (cpu?)
    My rooms temp is 23C, no more, ut if nobody home to save hydro I keep temp 18C ;)