XFX 6850 - Voltage Control - Catalyst 11.6

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MarlowXim, Jun 17, 2011.

1. MarlowXim

MarlowXim Member

GPU:
    Reference 7970 W/C
    Recently bought an XFX 6850 XXX Edition basically it runs clocks @800/1050.
    I installed 11.6 and cannot modify voltage control in Trixx latest beta and MSI Afterburner latest beta (after cfg) modification.

I'm not sure if the overclocking software has to be updated to 11.6 Catalyst changes or is the XFX card voltage locked?

I did already search seems other people can adjust voltages on the XFX @775/1000 model, and or black edition.

Will I need to flash a 3rd party bios or the overclocking software has no support yet?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Id guess you did the the .cfg mod wrongly with MSI AB, did you add the disclaimer too ?

3. MarlowXim

MarlowXim Member

GPU:
    Reference 7970 W/C
    Thanks for replying. I can confirm I did it correctly, sample:

So I'm unsure if it's 11.6 Catalyst and Afterburner not being compatible yet, or the card is voltage locked. I don't have an 11.5 Catalyst reference on this build its brand new.

Any other 11.6 users have voltage adjustment enabled in afterburner?

4. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    afaik 1.2.1 works with the cfg mod, not the higher versions for me either

5. MarlowXim

MarlowXim Member

GPU:
    Reference 7970 W/C
    Well I reverted to the 1.2.1 Official, still no luck even enabled, these manually:

I also filed a support ticket with XFX if this particular card is voltage locked.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    What Trixx version?
    If I recall correctly, the 3.0.6 had the voltages locked for some reason, so use 3.0.5 or 3.0.7.

7. MarlowXim

MarlowXim Member

GPU:
    Reference 7970 W/C
    Thanks for replying, well I just tried every version available on the Saphire Trixx site, excluding 3.0.7 can't seem to find it. I'm still unable to adjust the voltage bar is still greyed out.

Any other suggestions maybe bios flashing. It's a non-reference board product ID: HD-685X-ZNDC not sure if I can just go about flashing another vendors equivalent model bios. I don't have another PCI-e card available in case if it's incompatible, to reflash to stock.

I've been able to push the clock at 957/1150 @ 1.150V stock, so it does scale nicely however without any extra voltage, it gets pretty unstable after.

Any other users with this particular XFX card able to adjust their voltages?

8. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Maybe they just used different voltage controller, like the OC version from Gigabyte.

I doubt BIOS flashing will do you any good.

9. MarlowXim

MarlowXim Member

GPU:
    Reference 7970 W/C
    @wlw_wl I suppose it is, however I haven't heard back from XFX yet if they have their own in house utility to tweak voltages. If not might need to do a hardware modification, with shading a resistor saw a thread while searching for a possible solution.

10. MarlowXim

MarlowXim Member

GPU:
    Reference 7970 W/C

11. Jonup

Jonup Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 828/1944/2500
    Bud, I have Sapphire 6850 and it does 960MHz on stock juice. @ 1.175v I hit a ton. Any more voltage is useless. @ 1.25v I can't get it stable past 1020MHz. Do you really want to go to all the hastle to get another 40-50MHz? Ask yourself if 50 more MHz would make any difference to you. If you are doing it for fun, try the highest clocked 6870 bios in the techpowerup.com database (sorry I do not remember the vendor from top of my head). Its voltage is set at 1.175. Good luck!

12. MarlowXim

MarlowXim Member

GPU:
    Reference 7970 W/C
    Well I actually found out which bios it was, it will take a 6870 from sapphire the one with memory hynix/eppida selected. You can adjust voltage with Trixx after. Warning it's not stable at all expect it to hit the black screen of death periodically. I ended up purchasing another 6850 as well and will do a crossfire setup. Ordered a crossfire cable, I noticed manufactures don't include cable accessories anymore?

@Jonup I was mainly doing out of curiosity haven't built a modern rig in several years, and enjoy tweaking things a little faster at a decent heat and power trade off. That's great you have it stable at 960 core at stock. I had to scale it back the clock abit to keep it from crashing the driver in New Vegas.

13. Hezus

Hezus New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6850
    I got the Club3D HD 6850 and suffer from the same problem. I can overclock memory and core in MSI Afterburner, but voltage seems impossible with Catalyst 11.6.

These guys were able to overvolt with non-reference cards, but used Catalyst 10.10. Can anyone confirm this is a driver problem?

For those interested: the Club3D version runs perfect on 925/1150 with stock cooling. 940/1150 instantly crashed when I tried to benchmark it, possiibly because of the lower voltage, which is I guess 1.148v (not sure, can't find specs anywhere..).

14. madmanmarz

madmanmarz Member

GPU:
    2900 pro @ up to 900/1000
    I gave up on this a while back. My card runs fine at 950/1150/1.15 so whatever. Only reason I wanted to push higher is because my card is on very good water and I have seen very nice clock increases on water with 1.3v or so in the past. If you can't unlock the voltage control just clock conservatively and call it a day... it's easy to get wrapped up in tiny clock increases that hardly make a difference and add considerably more noise and heat.

As I suggested through PM, you could always sell the card(s) that have a locked voltage and buy one that has voltage control.

If you realllly want, the one last thing you could try is making a custom BIOS with whatever voltage you want to use but only if you know what you're doing and of course NOT IN WINDOWS.

15. MarlowXim

MarlowXim Member

GPU:
    Reference 7970 W/C
    Thanks to @madmanmarz what you can try to do is get a second 6850 that has voltage unlocked.

Crossfire Setup

1) Put the XFX as the slave card? Do not connect monitor cables
    2) Flash the XFX card with a XFX 6870 so 1.175v is forced.
    3) Use the unlocked voltage 6850 set appropriate voltage to 1.175v and OC both cards to 920/1150.. Seems to be stable.

Not an ideal solution but atleast you get some more overclocking headroom

Although I was messing with the PowerColor 6850 (Voltage Unlocked). Is it normal for the card to crash out around ~1.190+ volts as in "no video signal". I was doing tests with OCCT for stability seems to detect errors better than Kombuster/Furmark.

Also OCCT seems to be a good way to test if your overclock is stable, atleast if you are going to try running BF3.. just tried the alpha @ 1x. Crossfire seems to suffer performance penalties like BC2.

I'm not sure if its the vrm gets to hot? Hitting around 80+ due to the ambient temps (heatwave)

I'm considering adding two intake fans its Antec 300 to cool the cards, already have an exhaust fan on the side.

16. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I can overvolt / clock my Sapphire 6850s using MSI AB 2.2.0 Beta 5

940/1104 @ 1.174v stable

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011