XFX 6850 bios update to 6850 Black Edition Possible?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by VenoMaizeR, Jan 6, 2012.

1. VenoMaizeR

VenoMaizeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX480OC 8gb
    Hi i have 2 cards 6850 from XFX and was question myself if can be flashed with the 6850 black edition bios also from XFX, i dont see any diference in the cards except the clocks and maybe voltages.PCB is the same i think, and cooler same also. Anyone done this already? Tks.

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  3. VenoMaizeR

VenoMaizeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX480OC 8gb
    Humm...im a bit worryed about my cards having 2x6pin power conectors and the black edition and the first stock version only had 1x6pin power conectors.Since i see many people with 6850s i find it strange not anyne talking about flashing the bios to the Oc versions! Anyone done this? i really would like to know cause i dont wanna get in trouble!

4. Jonup

Jonup Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 828/1944/2500
    Take it for what it is worth, but I had a reviewer send me the BIOS Sapphire Vapor-X that comes with 2x6-pin and I flashed my 1x6-pin regular 6850 with it. The computer would not boot up. Any computer I plug it in whould not start (not even post, no fans spun up). I ended exchanging it. Which sucked because the newer version had longer PCB and the 6-pin plug was on the side.
    Again, I am not saying you would have the same experience, but it was a pain in the butt for me since I could not power on to reflash.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Flashing other BIOSs on 6850s will do no more good than MSI Afterburner can do anyway

6. Jonup

Jonup Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 828/1944/2500
    Did they fix the issue where after disabling the clock limits the card gets stuck in 3D mode? This have been an issue with 6850s since they cruise way past the limit.