XFX 6600 GT AGP: HARDWARE or DRIVER problem???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Flopsy007, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Flopsy007

Flopsy007 Guest

Bought the XFX 6600 GT AGP videocard and YES I've got problems, or actualy only one problem: artefacts in form of white dots all over the screen most of the time in 3D games!

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME FEED BACK PLEASE!!!

THE REASON WHY I POST THIS:
    Had a friend buy the card in The US and bring it to me here in Denmark (there it costs 2/3 of the price here ;) ). Now should I send it back with him for RMA when he leaves after new year or should I wait for new drivers and miss that possibility? Plus I'm just plain curious!

THE PROBLEM:
    The card runs smooth and perfectly fine except for the above mentioned white dots that appear in every 3D game (tried Doom3, Half-Life2, Dawn of War, BF1942, Halo etc.) I made a couple of screenshots from Half-Life 2 showing this and added some specifik observations I made - check it out here: http://80.163.63.170/flopsy007/geforce6600gt/

WHAT I HAVE TRIED SO FAR:
    (just so that you won't think I'm dim :D)
    0) Yes, I have installed the power plug on the back of the card.
    1) My system is fully updated (windows, chipset drivers).
    2) Tried with 5 different drivers (yes, also v67.03) and used Driver Cleaner.
    3) Disabled fastwrite in the BIOS.
    4) My PSU is 350W(thirdparty quality PSU) - tried unplugging everything except the motherboard (ABIT AN7), two hard disks and the 6600 GT - the PSU should be able to handle that, don't you think?
    5) Installed the card in 4 different PCs (both AMD and Intel systems) and tried on a totaly new WinXP installation.
    6) Tried underclocking the card.
    - every time the exact same problem! (Also on all 3 PCs).

MY CONCERNS/THOUGHTS/QUESTIONS:
    This looks like a driver problem right? At least it can't be my system when this happens on three completely different PCs I guess. But if it was a driver issue and not a defect card then many others should experience the same problem, but it seems that everyone else is seeing torn, out of place textures and not white dots.

And so I ask DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM? Or any suggestions...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2004
  2. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    There do seem to be some issues with the xfx cards - just look on the forums.
    Never seen this particular one before though.
    I take it you used driver cleaner?
    have you tried a windows reinstall?

3. degadi

degadi Member Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech AA6800 12/6 @ 405/900
    I have some small dots sometimes too... but hard to notice... i still am trying to figure it out...

4. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    I have an xfx 6800 ultra i had to clock the memory back from 1.2 to 1.12 to get it to run without artifacts.Although this doesnt seem to affect my benchmarks at all i will not be buying xfx again.Ive seen too many people with problems regarding their cards.Also after only TWO e mails to their tech help they started to ignore me totally? I came here in the end and they sorted me out :D
    Darren

5. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

i tend to think XFX use low quality transistors and cheap ass pcb

try to stick away from xfx

seriously people

you get what you pay for

thats why leadtek costs the most alot of the time,
    coz they are the best there is

:p

6. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    Yeah i have to agree but at 425mhz and 1.12mhz my xfx is still a damn good card :p

7. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    rma it

8. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    What happened when you installed the card in the other three PCs, did you get the artifacts ?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  9. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

yes he did macatak

thats what he was implying

i would suggest asking for a refund and getting another card

alot of XFX's and BFGs are having problems for some reason

10. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    Yeah i think they just clocked em too high,but saying that a frien of mine in my gaming clan has the same card and says he has no problems.
    What does "rma it" mean<<<<<< apologies noob

11. Cyklone_KY

Cyklone_KY New Member

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB PCI-E
    You all forget....

XFX was the only manufacturer for the AGP cards for a month or two... so everyone who had problems HAD to have either the XFX AGP or the Pci-Express version from another manufacturer.

A lot of people got this card.. so of course there are going to be bad ones.

My card is running great with a pretty good overclock on it. I'm running new 66.93's and from what I can tell, am having no overt problems. 8741 in 3dMark03, 3574 in 3DMark05.

I would try all the drivers you can find, and make sure you use the driver cleaners to remove the previous set. If this doesn't fix it, return it and go from there.

12. myzar

myzar Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7600gt AGP
    i've your same problem but i've a leadtek 6600gt agp on a via chipset.

i've serious rendering problems in every 3d game but ogl games like doom3 run fine.

looks like the 6600gt agp is a big flop unless nvidia releases a magic new driver or a new bios or both

13. Flopsy007

Flopsy007 Guest

Thanks everyone for your comments!

To Grunger:
    Yes I did use Driver Cleaner between every new driver installation and I have tried using another WinXP-partition on my PC which was almost unspoiled (only a few pieces of software installed and only 1 previous Nvidia driver but since I use Driver Cleaner that shouldn't be a problem). (I will edit my first post and add those to the list - just forgot it!).

To Macatak:
    Yes, {HLH} got it right, I did get the exact same artefacts on all 3 PCs. Otherwise the card works fine with good 3DMarks and smooth gameplay - just those evil white dots!

- Still not completely sure what to do - the timing is not at its best, I'm having my two final exams at the university in 5 and 13 days and then I'll be a doctor, but I'd much rather mess around with my PC, God help me, it's more fun :D I'll let you know if there's a breakthrough!!!

14. rEbirTH

rEbirTH Guest

hope my MSI 6600 GT AGP that is coming doesnt have these damn problems or if so im gonna bomb nvidia.

15. AFJsvt

AFJsvt New Member

GPU:
    XFX gf 6600GT
    The XFX spec for the 6600GT calls for a 450w power supply. I don't know if thats your problem, but it could be the start......

16. Xion999

Xion999 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 580
    hopefully you are right....i bought a leadtek 6600 gt and expect it here tomorrow....

17. Killgore

Killgore Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX
    Hmmm... I'm looking at my XFX 6600 GT AGP box right now and it says "Minimum 300W system power supply." Where did you pull this 450w ps figure from?

Of course the box also says this AGP card requires a "PCI-Express 16x Slot." *sigh*

18. roadzy

roadzy Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia 6800GT OC

no in the manual it only quotes a 300 watt...also check this out... it says Here 300 watt

19. JeedaiJoe

JeedaiJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 7800GS OC AGP
    that's odd....well is your PSU a generic one that came with your case, or a thirdparty one? Sometimes there's big problems with generic PSUs....just a thought...it may not necessarily be the wattage, but rather a generic PSU not doing its job...

20. roadzy

roadzy Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia 6800GT OC
    i've had alot of problems with mine locking up and i rma'ed it back to xfx and this new one did the same thing. Today I came across something interesting... someone said about sp2 adds something in the boot ini and it could be causing some issues... so i was like what the heck i'll try it... so guess what it worked!

Here is what the old one looks like:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

New one:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect

*Note using 67.03 beta drivers and had to install in safemode

Good Luck!