XFX 5970 BE Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by smoke, Apr 28, 2010.

1. smoke

smoke Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Ati Radeon 1900xtx
    Hi guys sup? i'm experiencing some *** annoying problems on my 5970 and you're my last hope to fix this ***

1st: No matter what driver I install (10.3, 10.4a, 10.4b) the BFBC loads its the same.. it takes like 4 - 5 minutes to load. Im mostly cases I get kicked from the server before I enter in the map. I already installed the driver cleanup... so every installation is fresh.

2nd and WORSE problem: I can only run the overvolt tool 1 time. Every fresh drivers installation I can run the program. If I reboot I get the *** annoying message "Sorry, but this tool is not supported on your video card".

Please, someone can help me to fix this issues?? i'm getting really mad!! Thanks.

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    first thing. run regedit. have it find every copy of the string 'enableulps' and set their values to 0. then reboot your computer. not too sure if its a problem on a 5970, but its a problem on every other crossfire setup as it shuts down the second gpu. this should fix your overvolting issue.

second thing. download the drivers in this thread. its 10.5b http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=319008

theyre large because they include a crapload of stuff. when installing, choose custom, and do not install the wmp vc1 thingo, as that seems to screw up clocks. for me, this driver makes bfbc2 load in 5-10 seconds compared to 1 minute with older drivers.

3. smoke

smoke Member

GPU:
    thanks a lot.. i'll try it now and post the results!!

4. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Solved this issue by installing official 10.4a preview from AMD site - load time is just a few secs now.

5. smoke

smoke Member

GPU:
    fixed!! thanks a lot, the overvolt is working now, plus I installed the 10.4 Official and everything works like a charm now!

THANK YOU! :)

6. smoke

smoke Member

GPU:
    Hi, i'm back and i'm getting the same issues now.. but after "fighting" against this **** **** I discovered something: there is a BUG in the ATI drivers. I have to install the drivers and use the default settings... and my bc2 load faster and my overvolt works. If I change any config in the CCC - the bc loads in 5 minutes and my overvolt dont work. This is kinda **** stupid because now I cant run IL-2 with filters because if I run the CCC and change some settings, **** up my bc2 and my overvolt.. so I have to uninstall and install the drivers again!

ffs!!

7. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    two things smoke. First please tell me you aren't running that 5970 on that 5200+ and have you done a fresh install of windows lately. If these problems keep popping up give that a try. Back up all of your files and then do a fresh clean install. Let us know if that helps?

8. smoke

smoke Member

GPU:
    yeah i'm running in the 5200+ :( and yes, my fps still sucks (i'm planning to upgrade my processor/mobo/ram and put another 5970 in the next month). And every driver installation is fresh. Plus the windows is fresh too. Its the same problem in the win7 32 - if I change ANY option in the CCC the driver stop working in bc2 and the overvolt dont recognize my 5970

9. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Well I haven't had an ATI card yet but plan on getting a 5970 next month. As far as I can tell it seems like a driver issue but I don't know what it could be interfering with. If you have installed a fresh copy of windows 7 and xp that would make me wonder. have you called tech support. Also what power supply do you use?

10. smoke

smoke Member

GPU:
    Thermaltake 900w.. everything is ok, the temp is 58 (in game 71 in the max). But the Sever solution (set 0 in the 'enableulps' register strings) worked. But everytime you launch the CCC some enableulps go to 1 again, that's why the overvolt didnt worked again. So I revert the values to 0 again, reboot and everything is working.

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    this is just my opinion, but if you only have a 5200+, why even bother overvolting? these cards are held back by i7 and phenom ii x4 processors... the magnitude of your cpu bottleneck makes any OC pointless because its putting unnecessary stress on your card to achieve framerates that would still be lower than if you were to upgrade your cpu and motherboard.

save some money, get a better cpu and then you'll see the true performance of your card.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  12. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I would have to agree with the post above your 5200+ is gimping that card by amunts I couldn't imagin. I have the same cpu running on an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe and my sli 8800 GTS's are really bottlenecked by that setup. There is no point in overclocking your card because it is getting held back by a large margin. No reason stressing your card at all. Try to save up for a faster platform.

13. smoke

smoke Member

GPU:
    same, m2n4-sli here and man.. I'm shame but I have to say: I got only 1 fps more in the games then my old gtx260.. bah :(

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    trust me, upgrading your cpu will give you a notable improvement.

at 1920x1080 with all details on high, with my old amd athlon 64 x2 5600+ and a radeon 4670, i struggled to get 20fps in bioshock 1 and 30fps in devil may cry 4.

when i upgraded to my phenom ii x4 965be whilst still using the 4670, same resolution, bioshock hit 45fps, devil may cry hit 60-80fps on some stages.

one can only imagine how much your cpu is holding back your 5970.

heck, even my phenom ii x4 is holding back my 5850s right now. ive seen i7s at 3.6ghz with a single 5850 oc'd beat my oc'd crossfire framerate in some games and benches.

15. smoke

smoke Member

GPU:
    I hope so mate, because i'm too sad because I cant use the hd5970 boost in the games yet .. bah

16. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I would agree, if you want top frames witg that card go i7 or even phenom x6. If you are trying to save money than go with an x4 and update the bios n your motherboard. I thought about putting an x4 in mine but I may build an whole new x6 rig. My next purchase is a Q9650 and oc it to 4ghz with that card. G80's and up.

17. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    you should probably skip the phenom ii x4. its only a sidegrade from a core2quad for the most part (might be an upgrade from your current processor, but would probaby be cheaper to get a better core2quad, vs amd mobo + cpu). the x6 should be a noteworthy improvement though.

18. smoke

smoke Member

GPU:
    atm i'm going to:

- IntelĀ® Core I7 930 2.80GHZ skt 1366 8mb Cache

- ASUS Rampage II Gene X58 ICH10RCrossFire X (planning another xfx hd5970be in the next month)

- Kingston DDR3 6Gb 1333Mhz Dual Chan (3 x 2 Gb)

- Disco 500Gb Seagate SATA II 7200.12 rpm (I already have one)

- Samsung TFT 24" 2494HS 50000:1 1080P Full HD x2

---------------------------------------------

but I dont know if is a good idea buy 2 24" monitors or 1 27". What should I do? I dont know if my card support 2 full hd monitors..
    (i'm noob in this crap)

19. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Well from what I can see you have a very kick ass upgrade coming. Your card can push two monitors I have seen it pushing 3 at that res. The 27" is still 1920 x 1080 but acer has one that is a little bit bigger in the res but not much. Again I would look into the phenom ii x6 unless you really want to go intel which there is nothing wrong with that but at the moment the x6 is competing with the i7 x4 and is giving great performance and betting it is some test.

AMD should try to stay a couple of cores ahead of intel to allow them to compete. You could get a system that is just as fast if not faster for a little less and have the extra money to put into an SSD.

20. smoke

smoke Member

GPU:
    hmm nice! according the technician of the store, the i7 is way better than the amds atm.. good to know that.. so what you suggest? amd? and I dont know if 2 monitors are a good idea.. maybe only 1 monitor. The 27" is expensive here, 450 euros