xfx 5870 artifact issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by n10cfi, Jan 2, 2011.

1. n10cfi

n10cfi New Member

GPU:
    2 x xfx 5870 1gb in xfire
    hi guys,

just built myself a new computer and am having some strange issues in games.

i get these i guess you call them artifacts that appear while playing, doesnt always happen and doesnt happen at the same time everytime, can occur as the game has just loaded or after an 8 hour session but when it happens it affects all games, so if i load another game after it happens in the first they are still there in the second. restart the computer and they are gone. was thinking heat issue but the cards never go above 80c. i have attached some screen shots for you to look at.

currently running the latest catalyst drivers 10.12 i think it is.

other specs:

i7-950
    rog rampage iii extreme
    2gb 2000mhz ram
    tx850w psu
    windows 7

anything else you need to know ask away as any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

2. Metz

Metz Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5850 TOP CF
    Are you running crossfire while doing this? Kind of hard to test with the 8 hour gap but i would recommend individually testing each 5870 to see if one of them is starting to fail or if you achieve the same result with both cards. Would be difficult to make the assumption that both cards are bad so i would start there.

Any corruption or artifacts on the desktop? They overclocked?

I've gotten artifacts from heat but nothing that would stay like that from game to game? Possible that when one gets "too warm" it starts to fault. So even a 15 minute break between game 1 to game 2 will still produce artifacts without a reboot?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  3. n10cfi

n10cfi New Member

GPU:
    2 x xfx 5870 1gb in xfire
    hi metz,

yeah tried running without xfire enable still does the same thing.

it only occurs in games when i drop back to the desktop its fine. strange thing i noticed earlier is that when it happens it does not affect the HUD in aion, so i i bring up a window like say my inventory its fine, but the "world" still has these dam squares.

cards are not overclocked.

can be hours between games without a restart and the game will load with the artifacts, restart and they disappear.