XFX 4890 Powerplay (Only Half Working?)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MyBrains, Aug 9, 2010.

1. MyBrains

MyBrains Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC 950MHz
    So my gpu clock goes down to 240 from 900 when idle but my memory clock stays at 1050,isnt this meant to clock down too? i see people say their 5 series cards do this,down to 300-500?

Is it the drivers im using? im on 10.7b but tried others and stil get the same result,when im not really doing much on my comp like web browser etc i clock the memory down manually to about 500 and my temps drop to around 44c with 37% fan speed,if i dont drop them manually i get about 52c with 45% fan speed.

Any help wud be really appreciated as this fan on my XFX 4890 starts to get louder and louder from 45% and higher.

Cheers :)

2. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    From what i've read that is the intended behavior. Switching memory clocks on HD 4000 series makes the screen flicker so ATI disabled it completely even though I don't know what's so bad about it.

You can however create your own automatic 2D and 3D profiles using Ati Tray tools for example.

3. MyBrains

MyBrains Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC 950MHz
    Last time i tried ATI tray tools on win 7 it wudnt work,and i dont get any flickering when i lower the clocks myself,i guess ATI like to choose what we wana do with drivers.. again.
    I use MSI Afterburner,am i able to create any profiles with that? If so i need a tutorial cuz that thing confuses me when it comes to profiles lol

and thanks for the reply.

4. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    It only flickers the moment you change the clockspeed but after that it's fine again.

Someone else has to help you with Afterburner.

5. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Yes, it is intentional to not clock down RAM for PowerPlay in HD4000 series. I had my screen flickering at downclocks pretty bad on my old HD4890. When you are on Win7 with Aero enabled, PowerPlay shuffle between 2D/3D clock very often - every time Aero has to refresh Window or do an effect on it, the card goes into 3D mode for a second or two and then returns to 2D. Imagine every time you do this, the screen will flicker - it would drive me mad :p

6. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    specially on windowed games :p or alt-tabbing. i had to bios-mod and overclock low power states there (also software OC doesnt work fine here)