Xfire + Vsync is killing smooth Framerates

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by HutnerMan14, Apr 15, 2011.

1. HutnerMan14

HutnerMan14 Member

GPU:
    2x MSI N460GTX Hawk
    Hi Everyone,

I've been reading a million crossfire vsync threads on different forums, but no one seemed to be having the same issue as me so I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread about a different issue. I'm running 2 5850's in crossfire, currently using Von modded 11.1a drivers and getting great performance in games. Vsync seems to be capping at 60 finally (which is the problem I have seen most threads discussing), but I've noticed another issue.

Turning on vsync doesn't drop my fps, it will still stay up around or at 60 in games that I try to use it. However, for every game I've gotten vsync to work properly the framerate looks more like 30-45 then 60. I thought this might be the microstutter phenomenon, but even in games where there is an fps cap at 60 (but not vsync) it looks incredibly smooth, just with tearing, until I turn on vsync. And honestly 40-45 fps with crossfire looks better without vsync on then 60 with vsync on usually. Could this be the issue I'm experiencing?

I've heard alot of complaints about vsync and input lag, but I use vsync on 1 card almost constantly and I've never noticed this lack of smoothness that is so apparent with 2 cards. So I don't think that's it.

I've been playing mostly without vsync enabled ever since I got crossfire because it's usually just headaches. Unfortunately a couple games lately have just had really bad tearin which makes them difficult to enjoy. Few more tidbits of information in case they help: I have Eyefinity, but this problem is happening when running single monitor games. I've tried enabling vsync in CCC, RadeonPro, in game, and D3DOverrider and had the same results.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :), I might try the 11.3 or 4 drivers later (modded and non) to see if that helps.

Thanks in Advance!

~Hunter

2. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    Are u using triple buffering in d3doverider/radeonpro?

3. HutnerMan14

HutnerMan14 Member

GPU:
    2x MSI N460GTX Hawk
    hey dox, thanks for getting back to me. I've tried turning it both on and off with d3doverider and didn't seem to notice a difference. The framerate is at 60 either way so unfortunately I don't have much of a way of checking it's actually working.

I might check some different settings with RadeonPro later, I've done more Triple buffering settings checks with D3Doverrider

4. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    I would try running the latest official set of drivers from AMD and see how it goes.

11.4 was released here on Guru3d early, you can always give those a shot. They are said to be the RC.

5. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Had exactly the same problem. 60fps felt like 30 and 120 was butter smooth. Are you using two or more monitors? (edit: Just re-read your post. Windows seeing your primary monitor as number 1 is essential.) Your primary monitor must be number one. A combination of disconnecting-uninstalling-rebooting will work.

There's also two options under DVI settings called "Reduce DVI frequency (etc)..." and "Alternate DVI operational mode". I'm not at my main PC now and I can't remember off the top of my head, but try messing around with those settings.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  6. geeunit

geeunit Master Guru

GPU:
    intel 4500mhd
    crossfire problems?
    no you got to be kidding me
    no one has crossfire problems here
    everything is fine and performance has to be great
    i know this because i read the reviews and benchmarks here on guru3d

7. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Correction, HAD CFX problems.

And it would be stupid if they reviewed with vsync on :3eyes:

8. HutnerMan14

HutnerMan14 Member

GPU:
    2x MSI N460GTX Hawk
    Yea I've heard some good things about 11.4 so I might do that. Thanks. I was turned off by the whole "preview driver" thing, but most people seem pretty happy.

Now that you mention it I'm not sure what Windows even thinks is my center monitor, I think Catalyst switches between thinking it is number 3 or number 2 though so I'll look into that. Is it important which output I use as my main monitor? (e.g. DVI or DP etc.)

Those DVI settings sound intriguing too so I'll look into that, did you ever get your problem fixed at all?

Shhh I'm secretly an IT guy from Nvidia...

Haha but seriously, I have learned a hard lesson about multi-gpu setups.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

9. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Yeah, I got the problem fixed. 60fps is now normal. Use the display-port for your primary monitor.

On getting your primary to number 1: windows will remember which display is which after you plug them all back in so you have to uninstall all monitors (delete driver software), reboot with just your primary and try from there. I can't give you the exact method because it was a bit of trial and error.

10. HutnerMan14

HutnerMan14 Member

GPU:
    2x MSI N460GTX Hawk
    Thanks Outrance! I've been messing with this and this is definitely the right track. With only my DP monitor plugged in after doing some uninstalling of drivers I managed to finally get a smooth 60fps vsync experience with crossfire :)

When I plugged the other 2 monitors in in went back to crappy, so I'm going through the process again but I won't plug in the other 2 until after I've restarted a second time, and I'll plug them in while it's powered down to see if that helps.

11. HutnerMan14

HutnerMan14 Member

GPU:
    2x MSI N460GTX Hawk
    Alright so I don't have any more time to mess with it right now, but it seems that the only way vsync works with crossfire correctly is if at least 1 monitor out of the 3 is disabled via windows.

I'll try and figure out more later to see if I can get it working when they're not disabled.

12. HutnerMan14

HutnerMan14 Member

GPU:
    2x MSI N460GTX Hawk
    So I tested a bit further, now I can't seem to get vsync to be smooth if even 1 extra monitor is enabled. At least I can get it smooth now by disabling 2 and just having my main active though.

I wonder if this is some weird problem with multiple monitors though, as the same problem happens in Eyefinity as when I'm on one screen with 3 monitors active.

Thanks again for all the help! I'll keep searching to see if I can find a reason why multiple monitors would affect it this way.

~Hunter

13. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    What connections/adapters are you using?

14. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    Its a driver problem after 10.10e/10.11 on 5xxx cards & multiple monitors connected at the same time in extended mode.

This driver after 10.10/10.11 has fixed that issue for me but you cant OC your card.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=342776

And yes 60fps seemed like 30fps too me with the problem.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  15. Dual Core

Dual Core Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 2x4890 24"1080p
    I never use vsync, because when i move my mouse in fps games my gun feels like its on a big bendy stick from my mouse if you know what i mean, it just not that responsive enough when moving around than with it off. so i would prefer tearing than a bendy stick effect.

16. HutnerMan14

HutnerMan14 Member

GPU:
    2x MSI N460GTX Hawk
    I'm using the SAPPHIRE Active DisplayPort Adapter 100924 DisplayPort to DVI Interface (sorry just copy pasted that), this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

And hey Final8ty, thanks for that glad you got yours working :) I had tried the 11.4 drivers earlier and had some odd results with some games, but maybe I'll check them out again.

17. strikeblue

strikeblue New Member

GPU:
    2x HD6950
    Did you fix it? I think I have the same problem as you. I haven't got the time to play around with it yet, but I thought it was microstuttering too. I happen to use dual monitors as well. I don't know if windows knows my primary monitor is 1 because I didn't check, but after coming across this thread I recall CCC slapped a big "2" on my primary monitor when I pressed "diagnose". I'm not with my pc right now, but I will try everything once I get home.

18. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    CCC and windows need to see the primary monitor as number one. It won't work otherwise. Easiest way to check is to unplug your second monitor and check.

19. strikeblue

strikeblue New Member

GPU:
    2x HD6950
    It's gonna be another 5 or so hours till I can actually go home and try anything, but I hope it works. OP didn't mention this, but I get some random black screen flicker as well. They went away when I turned off winamp and sticky keys :3eyes:

Since your rig appears to be similar to mine, may I ask if you've ever experienced microstutter in x-fire, other than this?

20. HutnerMan14

HutnerMan14 Member

GPU:
    2x MSI N460GTX Hawk
    Hey guys, no I never really managed to fix it for multiple monitors. =\

I know windows sees my main monitor as 1 now, I'm not sure about CCC so I'll check that when I get home. But as it is now no matter if I have the monitors just active while I play on only 1, or if I'm playing in eyefinity, it causes vsync to have this bizarre effect.

I might try the "official" 11.4 drivers now (I'm running the previews) but I heard that not much had changed.

Let me know if you notice a change after checking that monitor thing though strikeblue, and no I don't think I've ever seen a black screen flicker. Well, actually I guess i see it sometimes on HUDs or overlays, like a map, but not on the actual 3d game.