XDX GTX 260 216p - 2d mode not working

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Arraso, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Arraso

Arraso Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX 260 216p
    XFX GTX 260 216p - 2d mode not working

Oi :)

Recently I bought a new rig (Asus P6T, i7 920, XFX GeForce GTX 260 216) and everything was going ok, until I realized that my card doesn't work in 2d mode - it works only in 3d mode, always running the cooler @ 40%.

The temps in idle mode doesn't fall 47ºC, but at full load I get 87ºC (remember: fan @ 40%).

Why my card doesn't have 2d mode option for save energy and temp? =(

I use the last official driver from nVidia, but I've already test the last beta one. There's no option for power consumption in nvidia CP.

Any help?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    First question, are you forcing the fan to stay at 40%? If so I would put it back on auto.

As far as the card downclocking in 2d mode (is this what you mean?) - certain applications can force it to not downclock, doesn't just have to be a game (3d application)... Watching videos with cause clocks to change, etc... So the other question is what applications do you have running? Experiment by closing applcations or preventing them from starting.

3. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    Aero causes my 260 to stay in 3Dmode, sucks never seen it go into 2D mode since ive had it

4. Arraso

Arraso Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX 260 216p
    Now I force the fan to stay at 60%. 40% was the original configuration ("auto").

Even when I start the Windows, the card already clocks @ 3d mode. I've deactivated almost everything, and the card stays in 3d mode.

I've tried it, but doesn't work. With or withou Aero, I get always 3d mode clocks.

Well, when I configure to "Auto", the Fan can go to 50% - and reaches 75°C. Not too bad. But I want to save power (and increase "lifetime" of my RIG :D) getting 2d mode clocks for my VGA :(

5. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    Same issue here! I noticed that my GTX260 also doesn't go back to 2D mode after closing some applications like Folding@Home for example or after I close a game (Dead Space)! The card remains in 3D clocks :(.
    I'm using the 186.18 drivers and I hear the new official beta ones have better power managment so maybe I'll try those drivers!

6. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Are you guys on Vista 64 ? Because I have the exact same card than you and I have the option, and it works instantly after I quit a 3D game. It didn't work when I first installed the driver after the first reboot. I have to do another reboot before everything works fine.

7. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    No, I'm using Win7 RC1 64Bit!

8. Arraso

Arraso Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX 260 216p
    I'm using Vista 64.

And I tried the new beta driver. Nothing change. Remembering that my card boots @ 3d clocks o_O

9. faust1200

faust1200 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC
    I think having 2 monitors hooked up to the card can cause not to downclock. My gtx280 never downclocks.

10. Arraso

Arraso Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX 260 216p
    I use only one monitor.

11. greenblood82

greenblood82 New Member

I also have a XFX GTX260 Core Edition. It's the 216 shaders model with 55nm. I also noticed that it never throttles down and always stays at 3d clocks. No matter what drivers or what OS i used.
    So i wrote a ticket on the xfx homepage and the guy that answered confirmed that this card does not support 2D throttling.
    So I looked for another gtx260 bios and found one from zotac with the same device ID and board ID, flashed it onto my xfx card and guess what... The 2d clocks worked immediately.

But the problem now is that my card doesn't like to overclock with the zotac bios. With the original bios i could run the memory at 1200MHz without problems but now I'm already getting heavy artifacting at 1050Mhz. I'm not sure whats causing this since the memory timings and voltages are identical on both bios.

Anyway I just don't get why xfx disabled 2d throttling on that card. I just wish they would release a bios update where it's working.

12. Arraso

Arraso Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX 260 216p
    Well, at least our cards doesn't have the throttling problem in 3d applications. :p