XCOM Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Ouzo, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Wanny

Wanny Guest

DON'T do ironman mode now. Just don't. Learn to play first because there are a lot of trial & errors learning to do.

Trust me. I'm currently playing right now and kinda far in it. Normal mode without ironman is the best for first timers.

2. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Well the first thing u have to do is to maximize your squad with 2 more soldiers,then u should do as many abduction missions to have the most number of engineers and...don't forget about launching satellites:D

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Hmm. Okay then. Man. I'm bored. Need this game now.

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I had a terrible game with ironman,my people were getting took out,i had plenty of mission failures,rookies were assigned on every mission,anyhow when i got to the end of the month and the report came in for how good i had done i got an A+ so even though i lost alot, the world council could see i was doing well,this game allows/knows/understands that early on its gonna be tough but as you unlock more stuff like the body armour it gets easier.I wouldnt change from Ironman though,as its makes you care about your decisions and about your soldier.

Playing without ironman mode is well, too easy,you just go back to your last save and resume the mission until you get it right,after like 15 missions all your soldiers will be Super soldiers as none of them have died and youve progressed in rank,wheres the fun in that?

I suggest also naming your soldiers that are personal to you as you become more attached to them.

My no1 soldier is actually named after my wife and is a right tough bitch with an awesome shot as a sniper,if she dies im gonna be gutted,shes the longest surviving soldier since i began the game.

Right ive finshed my work and im off to play some carrier command and then im back into XCOM,no better combination for me,old games remade are much better than alot of the crap that gets released today:D

5. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I still don't suggest ironman mode for any first timers. Game has ton of replaybility anyway. It's better to enable it in 2nd playthroughs.

At first you don't know you have to build satellites, upgrade items, upgrade interceptors and you don't how to use special abilities in battle. You don't know you have to duck on low covers. You don't know you shouldn't dash often. It can lead to a very frustrating game early on because you simply didn't know the basics.

My other playthroughs will be on Ironman but I'm still so much learning about every possible situations. You can fail pretty much by not knowing how to use the Arc Thrower the first time. It's silly as that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  6. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm loving this so far, its a pretty good remake of the originals. Its bloody damn hard on classic mode, but for me its the only way to play it. Ironman can wait :p
    Wait till your in a terror map with 9 crysalids and a cyberdisk. Oh man talk about a nightmare. Current squad is 2 snipers, support healing, 2 assault, 1 heavy. Its pretty good combination. 2 snipers with squad sight and damn good ground, placed high in the corners of the map can pretty much kill anything from across the map.

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i ordered it from Amazon on dvd, i just can't be arsed to download it, will probably receive it tomorrow or after.

been watching a couple of gameplay videos, definitely the closest X-Com to the original indeed, reimagined was the right word, with lots of eye candy, bells and whistles that seem great.

BUT i still prefer the original :D the art style and pixellated graphics plus simple point n clickiness is still as refreshing as ever.

new generation kids who insist on Crysis and never heard of an x-com game, move aside, x-com is a game for hairy grown adults, submit to greatness or fall like an Alien. :devil:

lol ahhhh crap it doesn't shoot.. need to end turn...[​IMG]

8. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I dont read any reviews or videos.

They do include spoilers, and the most important thing for X-Com is the first play through. You'll remember it forever.

So, I hope to get one of those with this too :)

Still couple of days of waiting :)

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Hey this is the nearest remake to the original and i do mean nearest.
    http://www.xenonauts.com/

I do agree with you there is something about the original,that eerie atmosphere and micro-management,normally i hate micromanagement games but i loved it in XCOM Enemy Defence.

Firaxis may make Terror from the Deep,which was even harder than the original game.

Protip for you guys...i realised that plasma is very expensive to build so what i did was go back and capture a****load of Sectoids,when you research plasma later on you have aload of free expensive weapons to play with,oh yeah dont bother trying to catch a crysalid.

Oh yeah new players never ever sell your elerium,you will see why later on:)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  10. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    my plan is 2 concentrate on armour first with the odd weapon splash...

looking forward to all the choices you can make. micro-management ftw!

names will be chosen.

Darth Vader is one (in honour of a total war modder who has "retired") and perhaps a few choice gurus (inc Mr.Bigtime, White, Year, Tk and ofc Veteran). In fact guru names are a good source..:)

One has to be White Icing (just because I have used so much Icing sugar in the last few weeks...sometimes i wish it was coke and i could do a scarface to relieve some stress..hehe).

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Haha thats a good idea mate,im gonna do that,well thought!
    I just tried this game with nvidia inspector 4xAA+4x SGSSAA+16xAF and the game crawls to around 25fps,so i tried 2x and it went to around 35fps.

I was using the mass effect 2 flag as its Unreal 3 engine,maybe im doing it wrong,anybody else tried?

12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    nice :) never heard of this Xenonauts.

yep Terror From The Deep was harder indeed, it was great nonetheless, if they do a remake like the new xcom i would be happy, judging from the videos i've seen the new game is really good (and challenging).

finally, research and more research, it's my favorite part of XCOM, can you actually buy and assign scientists as you see fit in the new xcom game or did they dumb it down, that's something i haven't yet seen in any video.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Theyve dumbed alot of down mate,its best if you just play it and see for yourself,its good on its own merits,but there are some things i would have liked to have seen carried over from the original,you cant have multiple bases either and the aliens i heard dont attack your base,the shooting down of UFO's using an Interceptor has been massively dumbed down,you know have no control over it whatsoever,theres lots missing tbh.

14. Dcrawler

Dcrawler Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 680sli Hydro(s)
    Normal Ironman mode is meant to be between normal and classic according to the devs.

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    is this game MODABLE? man i keep reading and watching videos. today , midnight at 2 o'clock it will be unlocked on me..such stty timing :(

16. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Protip: Weapons before armor. The entire point is to NOT get shot...

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    oh i was going on the premise if am tough it doesnt matter if i get hit a few times and have a medic who has some good patching up skills..

will soon find out though...

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    So can't wait to play this!

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Ahhh. Nice one. Thanx.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Steam seems to be updating the game. :)

EDIT: Game has about 8 GB of movie data which means around 4 GB of game data, since this is the new content system it only downloads what is needed instead of replacing entire files, still if I got the files right about 3.8 GB was updated.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012