Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows Now Available

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    If like me you've long been suffering having to have a micro usb lead plugged in to be able to use your shiny new Xbox One Windows controller well suffer no more. Today Microsoft have announced that the much anticipated Wireless Adapter For Windows has finally started shipping worldwide. Yay.

[​IMG]

http://majornelson.com/2015/10/20/xbox-wireless-adapter-for-windows-begins-shipping-today/

Just purchased mine from GAME UK for £19.99

http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-one-w...earchTerm=wireless+adater+windows&catGroupId=

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Yay! This one is easier to hide compared to the 360 one! :D

3. Illyrian

Illyrian Master Guru

GPU:
    2080 Super
    No thanks, I'm using my DS4 controller on my PC via DS4 windows, very comfortably. I'd get this if the Xbox 1 controller wasn't poo compared to the DS4 design wise... (Xbox & PS4 owner here)

I'm 6'1 with larger than average hands and the Xbox troller firstly just doesn't fit as well in your hand as the dualshock, and my biggest issue is going from RT/LT triggers to pressing shoulder buttons requires slightly adjusting your whole holding position of the controller because you can't separate your index and middle finger far enough to do this.
    And those horrible face buttons that are still made of hard plastic that just jab at your thumbs, and I'm not even a button masher, seriously whats the deal with those Microsoft ?

4. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I also own a DS4 as well as my Xbox One PC controller and fully agree it is the superior controller of the twp both comfort wise and design wise. However, the DS4 windows utility has given me nothing but headaches the more it was updated so I ended up using my XBPC controller primarily instead.

My underlying issue is that Sony promised official PC support for the DS4 controller well over a year ago and have still yet to deliver on that promise leaving us with at times less than reliable third party support as our only option. Due to this I'd much rather shell out the cash for fully supported accessory which don't require some other form of utility ie a bluetooth adapter and DS4 Win just to keep it up and running in the background constantly. Yes it may sound expensive in theory but it doesn't have to be as you can now buy a perfectly acceptable used Xbox One Windows controller for just £20 coupled with this newly released adapter for another £20 and overall it costs you much less than a DS4 controller and bluetooth dongle combo just to use DS4 Win. A used DS4 controller will set you back £27 to £30 alone.

Sony not giving us PC owners who own a DS4 any kind of support is truly unforgivable at this point especially when it's been named as the best controller for the platform by the likes of PC GAMER. Microsoft may be lots of things but at least they delivered on their promise that we'd one day get a wireless accessory a few months after Windows 10 released. That day is today.

5. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Out of stock already? Are they following Googles marketing practices?

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Good stuff, guess i can finally pick up a X1 pad then.

I grabbed the DS4 pad last month and while it's a huge improvement over the poor DS3, the lack of native support in most games and the crappy stick position has me using my 7-8 year old 360 pad most of the time, so now feels like a waste of money.

Still showing as in stock here in the UK, not out until Monday though.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I bought a lunar white xbone controller in anticipation of this (god this controller is awesome!). Not available for purchase locally any where afaik and amazon usa won't ship this item internationally :( DAMN IT!

8. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I paid £66 for my DS4 controller new and boxed from GAME and at the time I'd utterly convinced myself it was well worth the asking price. It now sits collecting dust mainly thanks to Sony's complete lack of effort in supporting it on the PC platform and I'm not at all a fan of DS4 for Windows.

X1 just has such good native support in every new PC game released and in plenty of older ones too. Once I have my adapter it will be nigh on future proof for all my gaming needs as modern games move further away from the Xbox 360 chains of old.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  9. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Quite enthused for this.
    Will take 8 controllers, too!

10. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    what games have 8 player local gaming except fifa? lol

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i need this. give pls. Fcking Turkey always gets late all stuff.

well i have xbone. know the controller. yes nice. but my pc xbox360 controller does good too. what is beneficial to that?

12. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti
    What's the chances of someone cracking this for use with W7? I really want wireless control but not as much as I don't want to upgrade to W10.....

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I dont have an Xbone but I think I'll get a Wireless adapter and a controller. Tried it out at a friends place and although the top buttons are hard to reach, the controller felt pretty good overall.

14. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Ditto on that! I traded in two squeaky day one controllers for pretty much a direct swap for a brand new lunar white. This thing is awesome!

15. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Mine just arrived but failed to find any form of valid driver when it was plugged in. Great start.

After a bit of internet searching I did manage to find this one solution thanks to Poly on the Steam forums

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/490123938430246727/

My wireless controller is now paired and up and running BUT everyone including myself cannot seem to get the controllers rumble feature to function when the two are linked. Nice work Microsoft. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hmm .. I did mean to ask about the rumble, looks like it still hasn't been fixed then. Some folks had their shipments delayed to Nov 2 and that's also the date when Win10 gets its not-a-service-pack. Hopefully it will improve by then. Telltale's games and kodi don't work properly with the controller in wired mode atm.

17. kbozz71

kbozz71 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    If rumble isn't working the controller needs a firmware/software update...............only problem is this can only be done on an Xbox One from what I'm reading.

18. Teisco

Teisco Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    I am trying out the new Steam controller and find that is a bit of a learning curve. Still also using the 360 controller for my flight sims but hoping to get this Steam version integrated into them soon.

The Steam controller can be set for automatic firmware updates from Steam and they seem to be improving it weekly now,,,possibly cramming for the upcoming release. Also you can browse user made game configs such as GTA 5 that has several pages of them including gyro driving.

Is there something about the new Xbox 1 controller that is better than the 360,,if so I might have to try one of those now that the dongle is available ?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  19. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I've reported these problems to a number of news sites to try and make people more aware of what they are actually buying into when they purchase the adapter as some pre-orders now won't be met until November 3rd.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...xbox-one/fd54e46c-755a-4cf4-aca6-493477698681

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_support/xbox_on_windows_support/f/5412/t/2058541.aspx

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Sounds a bit buggy to me, not that the wired controller is bug-free under Windows 10 Pro, seeing as it has issues with many Unity engine games resulting in your character/vehicle/etc or options moving to the left as if you were pushing the analogue stick. It was an issue that plagued Ori and the Blind Forest for months until the developers fixed it. Microsoft are aware of the issue but have not attempted to fix it since the launch of Windows 10.

I am almost tempted to buy the wireless adaptor just for the sake of trying a different version of the driver but commonsense tells me that those games will still be affected by the left movement.

Also, it is a bit cheeky of Microsoft to sell the adaptor for £20 and not include a rechargeable battery pack for added value. Sure, the wired control comes with a battery compartment for standard and rechargeable batteries but asking £20 for a simple adaptor is just greedy IMO. Then again most console peripherals are overpriced anyway so it's nothing new.