Xbox Series X

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Mundosold, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti
    I've moved toward console gaming lately. 10 years ago, PC was great. Games were cheaper because Steam would have epic game sales, and $250 could buy a powerful GPU. But now for a proper GPU, you are going to be spending $350+ (and if you want a good PC experience, more like $500+). Steam sales are not what they used to be. And most PC gamers just play Fortnite, PUBG, CS:GO, DOTA2 etc. Online communities for console ports die within 6 months. And somehow, a lot of PC games STILL don't have proper controller support. I remember buying FFX/X-2 HD for PC a year ago, and the main menu (where you choose which game to launch) does not support controllers. So you either use KB/M to pick the game you want, make custom shortcuts, or use a 3rd party mod to fix it (which is what I did). This type of crap means you can't realistically hook up your PC to a TV and just play.

Meanwhile, Xbox One X costs $300 on sale. Has GPU power about equal to an RX 580 (though highly optimized since developers target it). Any game with online is going to still have an active playerbase - you can put in BLOPS1 and still find lobbies quickly. All games will obviously properly support controllers and have UI that can be easily read on a TV from 10 feet away. Game Pass is really good value, and used Xbox game discs are dirt cheap.

I still like PC for some things, nothing beats KB/M for FPS, but honestly I am more excited about new Xbox than I am 7nm Nvidia GPUs, assuming they keep price under $600. I haven't made up my mind PS5 vs Xbox yet, pricing will be a big factor, but console makers have a pattern where they get REALLY prideful after 'winning' a generation, then launching subpar hardware at a ridiculous price point (PS3, and the original planned Xbox One for example).

Also I am glad they are both on-board for SSD. Part of the reason games are so large these days is because they contain tons of duplicate data to minimize streaming times from spinning disk. A game developed from ground up for SSD will not have that problem.

SerotoNiN and Keitosha like this.
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW

So - why do console and technology announcements have 'trailers' ?

It really is quite perplexing, because it's two things; (1) That it is a 'trailer' and that (2) they listed the video on YouTube as 'Xbox Series X - World Premiere - 4K Trailer'.

What the hell is wrong with the people in marketing they have employed??? Did they recruit people who were not good enough to work in the television and/or film industry, and as such want to list their videos as if they are walking on the red carpet in front of cameras? WTH is wrong with these people?

It's an announcement video on the internet - it is not a trailer for Schindlers list, showing the suffering of millions of Jews through one of the worst periods in human history...

It's a new games console. Not a cure for AIDS or cancer.

I did a bit of research, but as it's slightly off-topic, I'll put the rest of it in 'spoiler' quotations, but it is essentially the adverts for games consoles in the past, before games consoles became life-altering and mind-expanding experiences...

Jeez, bring back some levity please, and change your marketing departments to one that can hook in people who want to play GAMES.

And then there is how they USED to promote a new XBOX, in probably one of the best adverts ever made:

I also believe this advert caused so many problems for its graphic nature, it could not be shown at certain times of day on television, or, was banned completely - but could not find any citations, that's just from memory.

But! You get my point! Adverts for games should be/different, not some stoopid 'movie trailer' because games consoles are not f'ing movies, and so, do not have trailers!

Convey a message if you can for technology, like Apple:

-and I have nothing against having intellectual content in advertising, in fact I really like it, but 'man, whatever happened to tech adverts and console and game advertising in general?

Muppets.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Coming Christmas season 2020....how about we get through 2019 before announcing this.

4. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti

Keitosha likes this.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    In had no idea the pad had been revised, and adding more than one HDD internally to keep it all nice and neat, very nice indeed......and on BC they stopped adding more to the present xbox models because the bc team were moving to the next upcoming console, so i am looking forward to a nice little list of new BC titles to appear at the launch of the S series. :)

6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
  7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I hope that the cooling on the new xbox is efficient enough with a design like that because if it isn't we could see a repeat of what happened with the Xbox360 with the RROD (red ring of death) Since there is going to be a huge jump in performance from the Original Xbox/S to the Series X just like there was a huge jump from the Original Xbox to the 360.

dark_surge likes this.
  8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^I don't think we need to worry too much about another RRID, not after the job they did with the fantastic cooling in the X, and i think we are already seeing custom cooling in the S series judging by its design, the thing shouts at me custom cooling.

dark_surge and Fender178 like this.
  9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not just the X but the Xbox one as a whole they did a good job with. I hope so.

dark_surge likes this.
  10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^Well considering its size it was no wonder it was easy to cool. lol

dark_surge likes this.

11. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^From the guy that gave us the highly optimised, polished and completly finished triple A game that is Aliens:CM, and then blamed gamers for not liking it. lol

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    SerotoNiN likes this.
  13. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  14. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I'm done with PC. Xbox Series X and PS5 for me. I'll miss kb+mouse, but you said it...I'm over the bad ports, the ridiculously priced hardware...and the empty communities. I understand most xbox games 1st party or not, will all be on PC, so many say "no xbox for me, I'll just play PC". But I'm opposite. I want the game to work on day 1 and have an online community for more than a month. I've watched PC gaming fall apart and I swear it's by design. Between rising hardware costs and such half-assed development, ...and then you look at these charts that show PC is becoming the bread and butter for some companies...still no exclusives, still no TLC for ports, still no main focus on PC to keep it going strong. It's just same as always, throw it on PC to squeeze whatever money is left to squeeze out of a title and then move on. And it's maddening as a gamer who has supported the platform for 25+ years, watching what's happened.

Spend $2k with incremental upgrades every year or every other year and get treated 3rd rate, or spend $500 once, for the next half decade and be treated as first class.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^Yeah, PC gaming is outpricing casual gamers and going right for the whales throat, so at this point it is easy to stay off the upgrade bandwagon.

16. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  17. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    Cars have trailers, computers have trailers.. anything trying to sell has a trailer. Nothing perplexing about it. god i love you.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Aye, I got love for everyone. My heart really is that big.

But...where is the line?

You got a new ice lolly to sell - do you put together a trailer, with a pre-release teaser? Do you show a 'behind the scenes' insight video, where the people working in the factory talk 'bout turning up to work in the mornings, and then making the lolly's ?

What about a dynamic camera pan as the delivery van takes the lolly's away down the road, into the sunset?

Y'see, it's the nomenclature of it. A Trailer has to trail something, and if it doesn't trail another movie or even, itself, then it is not a trailer.

End of. But, not the end of my ability to love my fellow gurus and their huge hearts <3

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

Matches the render on windows central posted on the 8th

dark_surge likes this.
  20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^I had no idea Chewbacca worked for MS xbox R&D department. lol