Xbox Series X / S are the only consoles that use the full capabilities of the AMD RDNA 2 architecture

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Nothing new, really. Sony has always said PS5's GPU is based on RDNA with custom enhancements, not RDNA2.

And Microsoft has always said their Xbox Series GPUs will be based on RDNA2.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Can the PS5 run ALL games (minus ten) that the PS4 can run? YES
    Can games be developed using DX12U, and then use w/e runtime? YES
    Can PS4 owners connect their PS5 to their PS4 wirelessly/LAN/USB, and get ALL of their profile and achievements (which could go back to PS3!) and their entire back catalogue from the PS4? YES

This is more BS from MS and a very weak attempt @ trying to bifurcate the discussion when, ALL PS5 CONSOLES HAVE BEEN SOLD.

Nothing more needs to be said - they've sold their entire inventory!

I'm through of standing in lines for clubs I'll never get in, it's like bottom of the ninth and I'm never gonna win...

3. rdmetz

rdmetz Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    Proof would be that AC:V is 4k/60 native on Xbox whole using upscaled 4k to do the same on ps5.

Don't worry in about 2 weeks all will be revealed and in most scenarios we will see that all other things being equal the Xbox will be the hardware where games run better.

4. rdmetz

rdmetz Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    Xbox is sold out too its nothing spectacular for a new console launch nor does sales even really matter I'm not in it for a popularity contest I'm in it for the best gaming quality and best gaming value.

Two things of which Sony doesn't equal.

I'll have a ps5 but that's because I can afford them all given the need to choose I'd take an Xbox over just a ps5 anyday.

Higher quality / fps and many many more games to choose from with massive backwards compatibility and the fact that so many future games will cost me $0 with my already paid for game pass ultimate subscription.

5. rdmetz

rdmetz Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    Right like I've spent the better part of a year telling these fanboys that it was VERY CLEAR from day 1 that Sony had laid it out that their chip was parts of rdna2 and not the full thing.

They were the bozos constantly trying to explain how it was in fact the not only full rdna2 but also actually partly rdna3! Lol

You can't be rdna2 fully when rdna2 was OBVIOUSLY designed hand and in hand with Microsoft to connect their software (Dx12 ultimate) to their hardware (big Navi).

The rdna2 chip relies on Dx12u for the majority of its next gen tech (which is fine as it's basically standard in gaming everywhere)

Everywhere that is but Sony consoles.

Once we knew rdna2 was leaning on dx12u so much it was quite clear that ps5 wouldn't be using the "full rdna2".

6. rdmetz

rdmetz Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    Lmao you must not understand much about how gpu hardware works if it's not crystal clear that Xbox is the more powerful processor.

Since day 0 its been known that the two would be extremely close in design and share a base architecture (zen2/Navi) with that a direct comparison is easily acquired by working out each systems throughput and we have that in the provided TFLOPS each company announced for their hardware.

12>10 (or what will likely be less since it's "up to" and they use a dynamic clock speed)

Xbox is locked and will always have its same performance all the time. Ps5 will max out at less than xbox and could potentially even fall lower (if it couldn't there would be no reason for dynamic and it would just be locked).

A year now it's been understood the Xbox is more powerful what hasn't been quite clear is how much that advantage would matter and though we need to wait another 2 weeks to know for sure the devs on ac:v going dynamic 4k on ps5 while using native 4k on Xbox says pretty much what we expected.

The experience in ps5 in majority of cross platform titles will be some amount of a downgrade.

Which is all any of us have been saying since day 1.

Do we think they would be SIGNIFICANTLY different? No not really it's understood that games are typically designed for the lowest common denominator (in this case ps5) and then some small flourishes or adjustments can be made to take advantage of higher power on other platforms.

That's how xbox ends up at native and ps5 is using dynamic.

Now what could the game have done if it weren't held back by ps5? Thats the real question and one we will never really get an answer to. This entire generation will be shaped by the need to not be a le to rely on all the benefits of of full rdna2 as well as having to design games so that they perform at "the bar" on the weaker ps5 hardware and not giving up a lot of room for the Xbox to show what it can do.

Unless a dev wants to go out of their way to spend a significant amount of time and resources on taking a game and really building it around oth platforms independently.

Then we might actually see how that advantage can actually matter.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Then, why doesn't MS shut its mouth instead of trying/attempting to get in the club? (rhetorical)

It just ****es me off when big companies tell everyone to look in a particular direction, rather than look at where the action is.

8. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    its so funny how many claim stuff will run "native" on the XB, when thats up to the devs (or company behind it), "can" does NOT equal "will".
    (e.g. old XB so much faster, that NFS Rivals was running at 30fps)

completely ignoring the fact that most (that will only buy either or), are probably not even running a 120Hz UHD tv (incl 4K@120Hz inputs) to actually make use of the XB possible higher output (perf)

outside the fact that the new tv stuff is coming with things like VRR, as well as input-lag reduction, more or less eliminating the need for high refresh rates.
    if i can play PS5 (and any of the ppl i talked to) with lower lag at 60fps (and other things like VRR on the tv), i prefer that over any 120Hz tv that doesnt (VRR/input lag).

not even talking about the fact that since the first PS came out, its outselling the XB consoles up to 4:1 ratio,
    even when the XB was "faster".

9. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    Ps5 is rdna3. XsX is rdna2. :D:D:D

10. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700XT Raw II
    Missed the horrible cooling of the Xbricked 360? The ps3 in comparision had way better cooling. Sounds like you did not clean your dirty turd of a console.

11. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Even if I say'd I stop...:
    Please stop speculating about some things:
    https://wccftech.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-upscaled-4k-ps5-ubisoft-ps4-games-not-backward-compat/
    From wccftech:
    "Now, before you Xbox fans start gloating too hard, there’s also a chance Ubisoft is upscaling on the Xbox Series X. The quality of upscaling has really improved in recent years, and it’s likely going to be a route many developers go down in order to devote as much processing power to basic visual fidelity."
    So yes you are speaking about a game that is not out... lol.

The bigest problem i see whit XBOX and MS is the fact that PS5 is available in a lot more country's that XBOX, this is were sales will make a diference.

Realy is this what you got from this (wow):
    “Microsoft and AMD worked closely on the development of the DirectX 12 Ultimate feature set to ensure a great experience with AMD RDNA 2 architecture”
    – Bryan Langley, Graphics Group Program Manager, Microsoft
    https://community.amd.com/community...suals-with-amd-rdna-2-and-directx-12-ultimate
    To me it say's that Microsoft and AMD worked on DirectX 12 Ultimate feature set for to ensure a great experience with RDNA 2 and not on RDNA 2. So they made DirectX 12 Ultimate to work best on AMD RDNA 2...

You know that INTEL, AMD and NVIDIA is using dynamic clock speeds on they'r CPU's and GPU's.
    XBOX seems that is just wasting energy. Why do it needs to be at full speed when a watch a movie...

Wow PS5 not even out..., games are not using the full power of consoles until 2-3 years after launch...Then what about Nintendo...
    I can say just like you where will games be if consoles never came out (LOL)...

Realy you are just a MS fanboy and this proves it.
    Sry but I will not engage on another conversation about this whit you @rdmetz ...

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I hate to break it to you that Desktop AMD and Intel CPUs do the same thing as what the PS5 is doing thanks to Turbo Boost. The same thing applies to AMD and Nvidia GPUs as well. They use boost technology as well. So Sony using a sort of boost technology is nothing new in terms of PC hardware. However it is new technology for a console system to use and it is new for game developers who only work on console games. Also the Xbox might run warmer than the PS5 because of it using locked clock speeds while the the other can boost down if it can't handle certain clock speeds.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  13. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli

Sorry missed your reply as you didn't quote mine..

If you have both the PS and Xbox and always will then (welcome to the club, I also have Switch and previously bought all the other dodo's aka Commodore CD32, Jaguar and 3DO) just be patient and enjoy your ability not to take sides as you're soo spoilt.

Take a moment to think that if MS really wanted to they could out price Sony on hardware and software till they die... but then they'll be back in the courts like "IE & netscape" there's a reason to keep the under-dog alive -- just don't snooze and let the underdog catch up! (Think ECO system more than console sales)

(example: Intel and AMD in x86 now -- why do you think Intel gave AMD a free x86 license renewal?!?! If they didn't have a 'competitor' Nvidia would sue, get access to x86 and piss all over Intel in their usual aggressive style.. like they did with the MB chipsets until Intel refused to give them a bus licence for future CPU's)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020