Xbox Series S has 364 GB of space available for games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2020.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT/3080Ti
    Wouldn't adding more RAM into the system (24-32GB) pretty much solve this issue? Then have the console use a sleep mode in order to keep the data within RAM for even quicker resume?? GDDR6 isn't THAT expensive is it?

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    32GB of SSD storage is certainly (a lot) less expensive than 32GB of GDDR6. Quick resume also continues to work after a loss of power.
    The real solution was to add even more SSD space to compensate, so when everything is said and done at least 1TB (500GB for S) is left to just games. Much cheaper, and fast enough.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That 2TB would never happen cause there 400$ drives... a SSD If game and engines were programs use use the 600mb speed the Sata III would been huge diffrence from the 2.5 5400 rpm drives used. Still using 2.5 5400rpm mechanical drives would be bad. they both went the cheapest solution to most expensive solution with out think of the ramification for that when it comes to space and the size of games.

Most people probably think those drives use are same cost as the normal one the been used of decades

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT/3080Ti
    I meant 2TB SATA3 SSD, not NVME by the way.

2TB SSD's can be had for a lot less than $400. Samsung 2TB SSDs can be had here in the UK for as low as £180 brand new and I bet Sony and Microsoft would easily be able to get those costs down once they start buying in massive bulk orders of millions of drives.

Like you said the jump from a 2.5 5400rpm HDD to a 2.5" SSD @ 600mbps would of been a massive upgrade by it self but they have gone overkill and either used standard NVME or designed their own version of NVME. I can see this having a lot of problems when your standard console customers walks into a store and buys a standard USB3 external HDD and thinks its going to be fine with his new console for all his/hers new games.

Not to forget but its going to have MASSIVE ramifications on PC gamers too, once devs start optimising and actually designing and developing around these NVME drives PC players who still use HDD's or even standard SSD's (most still do) are going to have a really bad time with these games for sure.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that another problem SSD and NVMe are not the same thing there 2 different products i dont know why it being called SSD for the consoles. I dont even want to think about what this is gona cause on PC side things. it gona become huge problem for alot people, if said prices of NVMe dont drop DRAMATICLY and these game dont get ported correctly the NVMe become requirements.

I all for no load times hell I miss it from cartridge days. but not at this kind of cost I said it before I will saying again a 2tb NVMe is 400$ that 4/5 the price of the ps5/xbox x series.... and to have a external drive and move games from it to main drive to just play them in case for both xbox x/s series and ps5 they need to be on this drives is huge inconvenience.

There is reason why I have 2TB in my ps4 I dont want to be messing around with external drives or deleting and re downloading/install games constantly.

Food for thought those 2.5 5400rpm drives on the consoles RAN slow on consoles. If took that same drive and put on PC it would run fast especial loading games, which I never understood

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Considering it’s just 10gb of high speed and 6gb of lower bandwidth memory, all the services and shared memory within the system and gpu I would assume they don’t want to do more to put on more demand of memory and offset it to another available part. The price of gddr6 may or may not be that much, but I assume they did a lot of RnD with 16gb and changing that would require more? I’m not sure I’m not a hardware developer lol

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Um....i think you have this backwards unless you actually meant what you said?

32gb of GDDR6 would be...what was it, $10 per gigabyte? So $320? Something along those lines yet 1TB SSDs can cost around $100....so....what now?

NVME and SSD when it comes to storage are the same thing.

NVME vs SATA are what are different.

"NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) is a communications interface and driver that defines a command set and feature set for PCIe-based SSDs"

M.2 is the connection, nvme and sata are effectively how its logically completed (hence there being M.2 sata drives and M.2 NVME drives)

But they are all SSDs.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Oh yeah I mean the opposite lol.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Sleep is sensitive to power dips, device removals, etc. they went with a memory to disk snapshot because its more reliable.

I would have gone a different direction to Microsoft though and used a dedicated block of Xpoint Memory since its designed for the specific case of large block writes and is non volatile.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  10. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT73VRE TITAN
    They need to bring down the SSD add on cost to $100 not 300 for it to be worth it or its DOA

11. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 DCmini
    My win10 have 20gb... Why the OS of the storage hungry console has 100gb+?

rl66 likes this.
  12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Because there is a nearly complete Windows with everything, it's for that the build have the same number ending than Windows at each release (not the light 20gb you have) and on top of that the layer that make it the XBox OS with all the special thing for XBox to run.

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    You CAN use your own on USB too... the SSD add on is NVMe and expensive (at least for now).