Xbox Series S could have a portable form factor, SoC would be fabbed at 5nm

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    720/1080p!!!
    Meanwhile the PS5 is 4K ready.
    Who the frack still wants 720p: people benchmarking CPUs?

3. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT

HOW THEY DARE TO BE POOR!!
    How is possible that nowadays this vegetable-eater peasants still play at less than 4K 144hz. SHAME ON THEM!

4. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    The same people that when you ask em what tv they have they respond a 40 inch one.

Solfaur likes this.

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I still play on 1080p , i dont see much reason to change for now . 90% of gamers i know play 1080p , even with highend pcs....

Venix likes this.
  6. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    my last console was an original xbox, it was very nice because i like modding things, i think xbox series S would be a cool console for me, i already like the switch, in fact i would like a switch but not portable and with the pro controller, my main rig is weak on gpu (in my workflow any gpu do the job), and at the prices consoles are going i think it is a better suit for me, a simple console as this, i never play fps or any fast paced games, 30-60 fps is ok for me.

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I run 1440p mainly but 4k looks so good on a good monitor or TV. If I can I run games at 4k, if my GPU doesn't struggle too much.

8. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I think it would be cool if they made some kind of portable that was a bit like a laptop with a built in battery and whatnot for real portability.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    To be fair, 4K TVs are super cheap. Why there are even 1080p displays out there (above 32 inches anyways) as kinda crazy. And the idea that someone will spend $300 or more on a console, but not spend the same on a 4k tv (heck i see 43" 4k tvs for $170, not saying they are...good...but still) does seem a bit....odd.

People who can't afford to upgrade their older 1080p tv are likely not able to afford a new console of any kind, as well.

Realistically this S console will be for parents and grandparents who have no idea or care in the world for the differences, and will get the cheaper one and call it good for their kids.

Silva likes this.
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Or don't have room for larger TV.

I bought for my mom 1080p smart tv last year and I was limited to 90cm space and in that range it was either 720p or 1080p, I opt for 1080p and it's great for what it is. No point in 4k yet until there are some programs actually supporting it, I personally am not interested in fake upscalling programs. :)

11. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Now if this thing was truly "portable" (similar to a Nintendo Switch or Alienware UFO), that would make it incredibly interesting.

Ricepudding likes this.
  12. semantics

semantics Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Plenty of people will spend 1000-3000 bucks on a TV but they'll refuse to upgrade no matter what for the next 8 years. Because the TV is name brand and it still works. Why would they buy a brand new TV just for their game console when nothing else they do is 4k.

I wouldn't want a bargain bin 4k TV, most of what you're going to be viewing is going to be resized by that TV and look sub par.

13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    TVs have improved soo much this last few years, meanwhile on monitor land its all LCD with the usual mud coat, 1440p still expensive and 4k almost not a thing

a lot of TVs are even doing 120hz and adaptive sync for like no extra charge compared to models lacking that, its a matter of time pc users stop wasting money on second tier screens just because they are called "monitors"

the way things are going, wouldnt surprise me if at some point buying a monitor is as silly as buying "computer speakers"

Ricardo likes this.
  14. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sadly the jump to 4K was always going to be horrible for gaming, going from 1080p consoles to 4k is an insane jump in performance, considering previous generations were no where near that jump. Now 720p is kinda low, but a 1080p machine is perfectly fine for a lot of people, specially thoughs on a budget.

The bigger issue is yeah they are going to save on the console. But game prices are now going up so that will screw people over anyway. portable sounds somewhat interesting, though I have always preferred to game from home rather than outside.

hahahahahaha... not me :D cough...

But in all seriousness people who are casual with tech will just get the best thing for the time that they can afford and then hold it for 5-10 years or till it breaks. Nothing wrong with this per say, and for many they don't know what they are missing becasue they haven't a clue.

My parents bought a new TV because it was bigger than the last one, but the colors were all faded and washed out. But they could not see it, just looked normal to them. If you have never seen a good high end 4k OLED then that 1080 plasma in the front room far as they are concerned is the best thing. Ignorance is bliss and good on the wallet :D

15. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah monitors haven't changed in a long long time, I bought my 1440p 144hz monitor a good 5/6 years ago, and they still refresh and bring it out year in year out with maybe a few software changes but often the same or similar panel. Isn't like the cost dropped either and there has been no great evolution with monitors like we used to see. TV's went and caught up and have flown by, OLED gives insane response times, can now get 120hz 4k with HDR. and sure we have a monitor by asus that does that, but you can't have all the features and if you do its like 98hz max i believe and used to cost a good 3-4k.

I'm hoping with DP 2.0 and HDMI 2.1 coming out, this might change and we get a good amount of evolution in that space. Monitors sadly have lost a lot of perks, and are often far to expensive for their price tag on what they offer in return

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    " being small in size and making it easy to take to a friend's to play with, or something like that."

The last I did that I took my SNES to my friends house who had a Genesis so we could compare which version of Mortal Kombat 2 was better. The SNES was the clear winner.

Keitosha likes this.
  17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There's almost nothing i watch that isnt 4k, so the idea that the content isnt out there really isnt a valid argument. Sure if all you watch is cable/satellite, then sure, but that's your choice, not because content isn't readily, easily available. It's 2020, we are talking about 4k, not 8k.

I bought a 55" 4k TCL TV for $350, can't really say there is anything wrong with that price, and it looks quite good, at 4k. Sure, it doesnt come close to my 65" LG OLED tv, but it doesnt come close in price, either. There are very definitely cheap and good 4k TVs out there.

As well, the same people not buying a tv for 8 years are also likely not ones buying a new console at first, as they obviously are not people who need the latest and greatest, and will likely buy a new console when enough games require the new console.

Obviously, there are exceptions to everything.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  18. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Sure there is 4k content out there but for the vast majority of ppl around the world the content or infrastructure isn't there for me at least i would have to pay out the a$$ for satellite or cable that supports it or pay out the a$$ for the internet with the bandwidth limit to handle it. So sure there is content but its not yet viable for the majority of the world.

19. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    The series X is the budget Xbox. the Series X will still be better than the PS4.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Have you missed the word: "PORTABLE" ?