Xbox One S speed and Cooling question

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Warcrysis, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Warcrysis

Warcrysis Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have the 2TB launch edition of the Xbox One S.

My first question is about cooling. I looked online but only found crazy mods like water cooling DIY project's. I do not like changing the original look of the system. but I want to know if replacing the thermal compound and putting heat sinks on the ram chips will improve performance of the machine? I can really seem to find information on this.

My second question is mostly based on Hard Drives. I currently use a external 3TB mybook. my load times are a lot faster then the stock 5400 rpm drive. but my OS and basic core functions of the system are still run off the stock 5400 rpm drive. I know the Sata Controller is Sata 2 but how would a lower end SSD perform on the XB1S as the internal Drive?

Also I am not sure if I want to open up my system yet cause its still in warranty but I was curious if there is room anywhere inside the system if I wanted to lets say take apart a SSD and mount the chip inside the system with the default Sata 2 connection and use the HDD mounting tray to put lets say a 7200 RPM firecuda SSHD drive. I would de solder the USB Port and Hard Solder a small USB to Sata 3 Cable/Connector Inside the system.

So essentially I want my External to be a Internal and I want the Core system to run off lets say a 240GB SSD.

I am curious if all of this would result in performance gains and core load speed gains. With my MyBook I already load faster then almost anyone on games like BF1 and Such. But I feel like start up time and just basic loading takes for ever. also having another device out side the system is sort of annoying. especially if you want to travel with the system.

If you guys have any resources or links let me know.

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Performance will not change, no matter what you do.

For the hard drive, do not change the internal drive. You can with some mods and some tinkering with Ubuntu, but it's not worth it with the sata 2 controller. Yeah, you will have a better load time result but breaking the warranty is not worth it for a small difference. You really see a difference with a usb3.0 drive.

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^As vbetts said, apart from changing the look nothing else will change, save your warrenty and go for a external USB 3.0 driver because even a SSD drive would give only a few seconds more in some games for the price they cost, compared to a normal HDD, , just very random with games, so for bang for buck a normal or hybrid 2/3tb USB 3.0 would the way to go if you want more space.

But do not waste your warrenty, especially on that nice big 2tb model.

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    Xbox One S has actually slightly faster clock speeds on the GPU or CPU or both can't remember. Digital Foundry did a video about it.

Here it is:

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    it has a slightly faster gpu. The cpu speed is the same as it is on the original xbox one.

From my understanding the one s is using a sata 3 hdd. But I have read that it may be using the sata 2 chipset from the xbox one. I don't know how true that is. I find it odd that microsoft would put a sata 3 drive on a sata 2 chipset.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    Yea slightly faster GPU speeds, but some games have a increase of 3-5fps wich is quiet alot for a console.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I have a 1tb phat and a 1tb slim, and the slim is faster at everything, booting, back to desktop, the phat is quick, but the slim seems to just have the edge, everything just feels so much more solid for a better word, when using the slim.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I would be careful with mods like this. In the 360 days, Microsoft used to ban consoles from xbox live that had hardware mods.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    The controller is still Sata 2, gotta find the videos but there were tests done to see if the data transfer is faster or not.