Xbox 720 Will get GPU based on Radeon 6670

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 25, 2012.

1. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Wow, I am more interested in Sony's PS3 than Xbox 720.

2. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    oh well..rather than buy this POS...ill spend $400 on a video card instead :) FTW.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    A video card to last a year or two, or a console to last 6?

4. Orion

Orion Member

GPU:
    Asus Gtx 480 1500
    Well I am a nintendo generation boy, I mean I grow up with nintendo, so this news makes me happy!

I mean, 4890-4870 chip can easily outperform 6670, even if its undertune, at least 70% at the worst scenarios. Also I think they modified the chip to handle all this dx11 api's... So this time, nintendo fans CARE about graphics lol...

Originally, xbox720 rumored to get a 4850 chip with dx11 modifications. But their loss..

Overall, it smells like, the battle will be in the field with 3rd party support, not in hardware this time. (and built quality ofcourse, we nintendos, never forget that).

As for the pc over consoles, I agree, I always preffer my games for my PC, because of modding, freedom, etc. Hardware competes and stuff like that, more like buying a new car...

But nintendo also speaks about (more like rumors), pokemon MMO (like wow) hahaha I wanna play that.. sorry.. I really do. I mean, we may see unique massive multiplayer games this time in next gen consoles.
    :wanker:

A small example is the game Reckoning, their feature plans is to make it a massive MMO, it smells like a console mmo if they ever do that.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

5. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    This.

6. Orion

Orion Member

GPU:
    Asus Gtx 480 1500
    Yes but this card, came out as a low range card from the beggining. It didnt came out as a super duper card that died in pc industry!! They still buy it, if they dont want to play games. And nobody ever bought this card for games anyways (in pc)..

7. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI SC
    I said this in a previous thread about this exact topic and I will say it again here....

I honestly don't see this being a viable statement as it is lacking any truth when you look back at the previous years of the Xbox. The 360 system was released in 2005, hardware wise containes a x1900xt 512mb which was released only in the PC consumer market at 2006(a year later) for a initial release price of $549. The 360 variation of x1900xt also has unique features including memory export that can enable DX10-type functionality such as stream-out through it own api/sdk, that was similarly on available on the 2900xt(DX10) which was a another generation ahead of is time for the PC market.

The Xbox 360 CPU features 3 cores running at 3.2GHz each, each core is capable of executing two threads at the same time, making the CPU capable of simultaneously executing 6 threads. Nothing came close in comparison for the PC consumer at this time.

At the release date of Xbox360 computer hardware was simply left in the dust for a good year or more playing catch-up with the current console and with each 360 sale Microsoft made, they were turning out negative numbers as their only saving grace was making money through the sales of the games, as it took them a good year and more till they broke even of the production cost and consumer pricing. Same story goes for PS3.

So I cant see them releasing outdated hardware on their future consoles as the Xbox 360 was the exact opposite

8. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I don't think it will have a video card this weak either, but both MS and sony have said they were aiming for a $300 launch price this time around. Last time the console were basically $600 on release and both MS and sony lost billions of dollars in the first few years before finally making money.

So I wouldn't surprise me if the GU was weaker relative to what is out currently. But if they are releasing in 2 years time...you'd expect them to have something at least equivalent to a gtx580, as that will be weak by that time.

9. Orion

Orion Member

GPU:
    Asus Gtx 480 1500
    They never made any money!! For example I turned in my 360 5 times and I quited buying ms stuff.. Because consoles must be good built quality hardware. I couldnt invest more into it, it made me unsecure.

In the other hand, Sony said, they will not invest lots of money in ps4...!

A rumor that I believe its just a rumor, a console maniac friend of mine, insists, that xbox720 will have 2 editions, 1 weak and 1 powerfull. I believe this is a bit silly, because they will create 2 categories of customers and they will confuse the developers, lots of bad things. Its not a pc hardware, its an investment for the next 4-5-6 years..

So, he claims, the power edition, will have a 7xxx series, I am not sure if thats true. (expensive to be true)

Thats why I believe, the war will be in 3rd party support, not in hardware this time. I am not console maniac, but I am happy to see nintendo a bit more aggressive this time.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    I knew they would be super cheap bastards about it to cripple the gaming industry for another 8+ years but WOW I didn't think they would resort to using low-end GPUs from a generation that cost them about 10 cents each.

Who wants to bet they'll also stinge out on RAM as well (which right now costs NOTHING) so console ports will have super low res textures in comparison to what a PC game for the time should have? 8GB of DDR3-1600 can be bought for $40 right now, meaning in bulk for MS it would cost a fraction of that.

At this rate I won't live long enough to see the end of consoles, sigh.

11. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    it be re branded to 7670 by 2013 anyway or did't that already happen dont remember:nerd:

least its dx11 gpu lol :D

12. Orion

Orion Member

GPU:
    Asus Gtx 480 1500
    as long as they have their promoters (steam and origin), to send them customers, they will exist with any kind of technology.. lol

Thats why I said earlier "I hope nintendo to be more aggressive this time" even if they controlled the 50 % of the entire console industry with wii and ds/ ***** I need them to be even more aggressive this time and cleanse this evil (lol)... Then we may see better games :)

everybody rasps nintendo, but nintendo always respected gamers, they keep their character, never interve in PC gaming industry, others did..

ps: I am trying to type the console 3 d s and it appears as *****, is it a prohibited word?? lol

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    No point of a DX 11 GPU if it doesn't have the processing power to use DX 11 features. But they will do it... by sacrificing resolution and filtering like before. Let's not even pretend PS3/360 games were 1280x720. Most were 960x540 to 1024x576 internally stretched to 720p so even if you set your screen to 1:1 it would still be a stretched image. All that with a lovely ZERO times AA and AF for extra jagged edges to stab me in the eyes.

I haven't finished half my PS3 games, I cannot tolerate that much lag and aliasing. When the goal is to sustain a framerate somewhere in the 20s, you know something is seriously wrong. Gee, perhaps the hardware being equal to the power of an 11 year old PC has something to do with it. :bang:

I can name one PS3 game that was actually 720p, had AA and sustained 30+ FPS average. God of War 3. That's it. It also happens to overheat the living hell out of any fat PS3 making it loud as a vacuum cleaner due to the fan being at 100% to keep it alive.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4

Its a hint you should clean it imo. same happens with your pc if you dont clean it once in a while.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    It is clean, well I should say THEY are clean. I have two different models of fat PS3s. Both of them I did my best to seal the HSF on as tight as possible and used AS5. There was no dust build-up at all.

Didn't change a thing, they still become loud as hell, the slightly older model a lot more than the other. Some of the older model PS3s just had terrible cooling and even though the CPU was die shrunk the GPU for my models never was, it was left at a troll-sized troll-style 90nm while everything else in the universe had long been at 45nm or smaller.

Actually I should clarify, the 90nm version was a die shrink, just from a long long time ago. The very first ones were apparently 130nm.

16. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    well i certainly dont know why it sounds as loud as a vacuum cleaner tbh, sure you can hear it being on , but a vacuum cleaner ???
    for refference my 4870x2 makes double the noise that my ps3 makes.
    even my xbox360 makes more noise then my ps3.

17. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    let me get this straight..the Wii U is 2x faster then the xbox360, and the xbox720 is 6x times faster then the xbox360..then how in God's name is the xbox720 only 20% faster then the Wii U?!?!

RETARDED SPECULATIONS..that's why.

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Some models were just really bad. The one that goes to 100% fan speed regardless of the game has gotten the YLoD twice now. It would have probably gotten it a third time but I barely ever use any console.

Anyway, if you have a fat PS3 pop in GoW 3 and leave it on for an hour, see what happens.

19. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    yes it does sound like you have a bad model. i havent had a YLod once and the fan acts normal. sure the fan spins up when i game, but it surely doenst sound like a vacuum cleaner. its not like i have to turn the tv volume up to hear the game instead of the ps3. Even when gaming several hours.
    I dont have the launch model though, bought it with GTA4 at the time. so it might be fixed with my model i dunno. i did replace my HD though, the original one did make more noise then the one thats in there now.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    My PS3 has never been that bad with noise or heat, though i imagine the fact i keep my room temp no higher than 15c probably helps a little lol.

The PS3 is pretty bad for multi-platform games, mostly due to lazy ports as the 360 versions are usually much better and the majority i have played are native 720p with 2-4xAA and a pretty steady framerate.
    Neither get much use these days though.

Hoping Sony make something more user friendly with the PS4, as i'm sure that is where he better exclusives will be, nothing against the Microsoft ones but i just never enjoyed Gears Of War, Fable or Halo as much as Uncharted, MGS4 or Heavy Rain.