Xbox 720 Will get GPU based on Radeon 6670

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    This, I just don't believe it, I think we see at least something like a 7770 used, it has to be A LOT more powerful than the Wii U

2. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Upscaled from 720p to 1080p most probably ;)

Instead of the 540p (or whatever) to 720p that they get now.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nah, if even the Wii-U can do native 1080p, i doubt MS would fall behind.

Think it was only Alan Wake that ran at 540p, still looked great, which makes me excited to see it at 1920x1080 next month :)

4. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Well What do u guys expect? A Console will never be as powerfull as pc cuz of course if they beefed up the consoles then consumers will have to pay 800 to 1000 dollars or more to get to the level of mid-level gaming pc.

5. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Yeah they will start at a real 1080p but down the line it will all go down the same upscale road as the hardware is too weak and developers want to push better visuals at the sake of resolution.

6. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Im aware of that, i was reffering to performance. 2 or 3 hundred gigaflops both of em. By 2006 it was quite a number, like you said, there wasnt something like it by that time.

Well, glad that you made up your mind bout their performance at release. Very different from the "No it wasn't" that you trow up before.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Possibly, will depend on if there are any new TV's to sell further down the line.

Not like either console started at 1080p last time, was 720p for both, with MS being especially incredibly misleading about it.

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I thought the 720 was suppose to use the NGC technology?

9. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Sweet, im sure the xbox 720 will max out crysis 3 at 4K resolution! Im super excited to buy one of these!!!! Not!

10. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    4k is pointless.

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    1080p will be the absolute minimum. and given the price of ram at the moment, theres no reason why they wouldnt bump up the amount of ram.

and if microsoft does not support 4k resolution, chances are sony will release their console with support for the 4k resolution standard of hdmi and microsoft will just release a 'revision' that supports it. they will probably only use 4k resolution for movies though, otherwise they'd need dual 7970s for a decent framerate.

12. Phatzy

Phatzy Guest

The ATI Xenos looks pants on paper but it powered that xbox fine.

13. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    Funny thing about that. I'm actually going to get a 6670 for my rebuilt HTPC. Price wise and performance wise it's a heck of a deal and you can still play most games with it. Not with crazy settings but you can still play them. The power consumption is just outstanding on those chips as well.

I actually still play most new games on my 4670. I just need something that can do 8 channels over LPCM which was only included in the 4800+ series hence the minimal upgrade.

While I don't fully agree with the chip that they will be using for the time / generation, I do agree that when you give developers one thing to develop on you can make things 100x better despite the total power of the device. Those games however just won't scale "up" very nicely or easily which is why we complain so much about ports. The cheaper they can mass produce the console the better. Don't spend every dime on fancy hardware just to make it more complex for people to develop on while also limiting the number of people who can afford the console. It definitely won't only be for gaming either and I think half the people I know own an Xbox 360 for everything but games.

14. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Seeing how the previous gen xbox was Xenos based on The R520 or X1800/X1850, this worked just fine to play games that looked nice.
    They shrunk the die size through various development stages(90nm>65>45) and it is an optimized version of the core specifically for low power and high graphical capability.
    The CPU was a nice 3-core powerPC "xenon" chip... 3.2GHz

PS3 was based off a G70.. nvidia RSX basicly the same specs as a 7800 256MB.
    But again it has been a modified chip, highly optimized and die shrink... quite more powerful than a desktop 7800.
    CPU was IBM cell CPU .. 8 "spe"'s. 3.2Ghz

I don't see why all you guys are acting so strange about this. Nothing to be suprised about, they use modified versions of PC hardware ... its "BASED " from the entry level northen islands core, name "Turks XT", with similar spec to a 6670. Almost definitely optimized for power efficiency and graphical quality, which will be powerful enough to make games look nice at 1080p.

On top of the architecture enhancements and modification the game engines will be optimized for this single GPU ... giving even more performance. It should be able to display equal power to that of a 6850 or better.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  15. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    isnt the 6670 a relabeled 5670? basically a welfare card by todays standards?

break out the foodstamps for the next gen consoles!!! wtgn1hfFTW.

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    6670 in 2013 ? Thats lame , i doubt its true ...

17. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    No its not. Its based off the same architecture as the 6870.

They are most likely testing hardware with this gen AMD chip and changing the GPU for final production, for all we know this is just a prototype board running a 6670.

You guys are really, really picky and bitchy.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Yes we are :p.

Think how expensive the PS3, PS2 and PS1 were when they came out, though, not cheap by any measure. I can see the 720 being pricey at first, maybe in the £300-£350 region, then coming down afterwards, but I do hope to hell that they have a GPU at least capable of doing 1080p with some decent AA, AF, draw distance, etc.

IIRC, though, they were looking at integrating other stuff in there as well, so expect internet and HTPC functionality, moreso than it already does.

19. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    That's the thing. It wouldn't be all that bad, but considering it's not coming out for another ~21 months, and with a predicted lifespan of what, maybe 7-8 years, I was honestly hoping for something a little more. Oh well, plenty of time for changes, optimizations, and so forth.

20. daffy101

daffy101 Active Member

GPU:
    7800XT
    Didn't they say that two models were being made? a basic gaming console and a more expensive set top box type of thing with console abilities? expect prices to be higher than £500 for the top of the range model. and about £250+ for the gaming version. They are never cheap when they first come out they need that killer game to sell them lets hope they are easy enough to develop for.