Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3 Comparison

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TheGriffin, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    watching the microsoft unveiling now.

2. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gram_vaz - why do i feel that the Kill Zone Trailer was in game...i dont know...but if thats in game...i mean if thats in game...then im reconsidering my pc building efforts in the long run..big time...
    its like it costed me to get the Ps3 and the X-Box360 for going Sli and still get the same old games to play...
    Is or could that be ingame...i was stunned...i have a bad feeling that lots of kids could have a heart attack or something the first day they hook up those consoles...
    The Textures on the Ground for kill Zone looks slightly gamish slightly meaning 0.1%...along with the explosions..because there is practically no way of telling weather it was or was'nt....but if that were ingame :D:D:D:D:D:D are we lucky or what....
    Everything was sOOo smooth...something around 90@FPS or somethin...
    Bill Gates said the killer for the PS3 would be the idea of launching Halo3 with the Ps3
    Well i would'nt be bothered if i were a Ps3 fan....

I must colllect money for all three consoles....

Edit i must say...that the Ps3 sounds like a cooler deal...i dont know...but if that were ingame...i've been bought out by sony....
    Another thing...having more raw power..is a huge upper hand...
    And if sony does good with games like FF or GTA etc

I dont see much from bringing it down...

Yea i tOo feel sorry for nintendo...their idea of not coming inbetween the Sony vs Microsoft battle is a stupid one...
    If your not there for the consumer then how do you expect to last...right...
    I mean...or may be they know...they wont last longer that ways...
    i dont know...well i wish them luck....

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  3. botd4u

botd4u Member Guru

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html?q=1
    Scroll all the way down to see the Sony E3 2005 Press Conference video SKIP all the way to 38 MINUTES and it will show you the PS3 is capable of running the UNREAL 3 engine with ease already :)

One of the major thing I've noticed is that PS3 has 2 TERAFLOPS of float point and the XBOX only has 1 TERAFLOP, and PS3 has 100 BILLION SHADER OPERATION, while the XBOX 360 only has 48 BILLION SHADER OPERATION. HELLO?!?!... and PS3 has XDR memory, god knows what the hell that is.... and PS3 already proven that it can and will RUN Unreal 3 in 1920x1080i in one of the game spot videos. I think my choice is clear :D.....

PLAYSTATION 3 SPECIFICATIONS

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer," which is based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision and 1080p resolution--some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512MB of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has more than 300 million transistors, larger than any processor commercially available today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process, with eight layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today.

CPU: Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
    --1 VMX vector unit per core
    --512KB L2 cache
    --7 x SPE @3.2GHz
    --7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
    --7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
    --*1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
    --Total floating point performance: 218 gigaflops

GPU RSX @ 550MHz
    --1.8 TFLOPS floating point Performance
    --Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
    --Multi-way programmable parallel Floating point shader pipelines
    --Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)

MEMORY
    256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
    256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
    System Bandwidth Main RAM-- 25.6GB/s
    VRAM--22.4GB/s
    RSX-- 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
    SB2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

SYSTEM FLOATING POINT PERFORMANCE:
    2 teraflops

STORAGE
    --HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
    --I/O--USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
    --Memory Stickstandard/Duo, PRO x 1
    --SD standard/mini x 1
    --CompactFlash(Type I, II) x 1

COMMUNICATION
    --Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
    --Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
    --Bluetooth--Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
    --ControllerBluetooth (up to 7)
    --USB 2.0 (wired)
    --Wi-Fi (PSP)
    --Network (over IP)

AV OUTPUT
    Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    HDMI out x 2
    AV multi out x 1
    Digital out (optical) x 1

DISC MEDIA
    CD
    PlayStation CD-ROM
    PlayStation2 CD-ROM
    CD-DA
    CD-DA (ROM),
    CD-R,
    CD-RW
    SACD Hybrid (CD layer),
    SACD HD
    DualDisc (audio side)
    DualDisc (DVD side)
    PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
    PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM
    DVD-ROM
    DVD-R
    DVD-RW
    DVD+R,
    DVD+RW
    Blu-ray Disc
    PlayStation 3 BD-ROM
    BD-ROM
    BD

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
    POSTED: 05/16/05 03:43 PM PST

vs

Xbox 360: The Specs (X360)
    Page: 1 2

Here for the first is the entire finalized set of specifications for the Xbox 360:

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU:

3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
    2 hardware threads per core; 6 hardware threads total
    1 VMX-128 vector unit per core; 3 total
    128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
    3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
    1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance:

9 billion dot product operations per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor:

500 MHz
    10 MB embedded DRAM
    48-way parallel floating-point dynamically-scheduled shader pipelines
    Unified shader architecture

Polygon Performance:

500 million triangles per second

Pixel Fill Rate:

16 gigasamples per second fillrate using 4X MSAA

Shader Performance:

48 billion shader operations per second

Memory:

512 MB GDDR3 RAM
    700 MHz DDR
    Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth:

22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
    256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
    21.6 GB/s front-side bus

Overall System Floating-Point Performance:

1 TFLOP

Storage:

Detachable and upgradeable 20 GB hard drive
    12X dual-layer DVD-ROM
    Memory unit support starting at 64 MB

I/O:

Support for up to 4 wireless game controllers
    3 USB 2.0 ports
    2 memory unit slots

Optimized for Online:

Instant, out-of-the-box access to Xbox Live features, including Xbox Live Marketplace for downloadable content, Gamer Profile for digital identity and voice chat to talk to friends while playing games, watching movies or listening to music
    Built in Ethernet Port
    Wi-Fi Ready: 802.11 A, B and G
    Video Camera Ready

Digital Media Support:

Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD
    Stream media from portable music devices, digital cameras, Windows XP PCs
    Rip music to Xbox 360 hard drive
    Custom playlists in every game
    Windows Media Center Extender built in
    Interactive, full screen 3D visualizers

HD Game Support:

All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
    Standard definition and high definition video output supported

System Orientation:

Stands vertically or horizontally

Customizable Face Plates:

Interchangeable to personalize the console

4. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Im not that technical...so would the gap between the two's raw power be the same as the earlier consoles...or more...
    I have a feeling that its more...right..

But i also have a feeling that the x-box 360 seems like a stable consoles...with everything worked out....clear and easy...
    Loads of good games...to be worked on this time round...unlike its past...
    Better Gamer Controle over the Console...customizable features....etc
    Worked out controller....im sure about the 360 controller doing better for FPS games etc by the looks of it...unlike the Ps3's
    Halo3!!!!
    its multi media option etc etc....

5. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    OK - ZHACKORE's VERDICT from watching the TWO unveilings in FULL

- I AM A Microsoft XBOX Fanboi!

But after watching the PS3 show, then XBOX 360 Show, in terms of GRAPHICS AND PERFORMANCE.... I'd have to say IF EVERYTHING IN THE PS3 presentation was REAL TIME...WHAT I EXPECT TO SEE ON MY TV WHEN I BUY IT....... Then PS3 BLOWS XBOX 360 out of the water in terms of gaming performance and Quality.

The XBOX 360 show I found was lucklaster... with an OVER enfasis on the whole lets play with my friends blah blah... they pushed it hard... So yeah for now I say PS3 is the ticket, but it doesn't matter cuz we still got 8 months to a year to wait and see what happens..

SCORE

Ps3 - 1
    Xbox 360 - 0.5 (for scoring Squarsoft they get half a point)

6. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Nothing is even released yet.

Last round Sony out thier machine out way before the others and everyone jumped on it. It gave them a huge advantage purely for the fact that they had the market. Now for Micro$oft to even comeclose to them amd even over take them in the sales of units for a given period(wich they did last year) was amasing.
    I personaly think that MS is doing the right thing by releasing their machine first. They will get the first round of die hard console fans. They will get the christmas group. Then when all that is said and done they will get alot the ones that have seen and played the system but were trying to hold out for the PS3 or Rev. There will be alot of those people that will get sick of waiting and sell/trade their old PS2 and games for a next gen.
    That being said there will also be those die hard fans, kids who have to save, johnny come lately's, and those new to the "game" that only have been influenced by the adds one way or another.

Either way it is way to early to be saying one machine is more powerful/better/smarter choice than the other based on the information the companies are giving us. It is however gonna be very benaficial to the console gaming communtiy. Compation brings progress and the more progress the better. I for one an very excited. Very excited.

7. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    The cell CPU in the PS3 is a bit different from current CPU technology. The xbox360 is a 3 core CPU with HT on all 3 cores. It can run 6 threads in conjuction. Not much is known about the CEll CPU in the PS3, but it can decode 12 High Definition video streams at full frames. That's impressive. Try doing that with a Athlon64 or P4. I doubt even Dual Core athlon64's could run 12 HD video streams at full frames.

8. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    the cell was decoding 1000 video thumbnails in one demo. And that thing they did and made it render a fully 3d landscape from just a aerial photo and hi quality topographic data. Without even using the GPU it was able to shame most PCs.

9. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    may be they've done a different thing this time around...
    They knew that there's a poblem of their hardware being out dated so quick...
    And the gaming world just started waking up...inturms of numbers and non stop high quality demand....against PC's in general...
    I think..they took it a step further or so it seems...
    Giving consoles more life then they previously prefered to give...
    Because of the investment being worth while even more so....due to the growth in the gaming market obviously....
    Every person...almost every where knows about these consoles these days...
    Every duffer or every non gamer buys it knowing that its something to chear at with his 7year old kid or even his 20year old son... etc....
    Or have his office work pay off for a Ps3 deal right out side Court..
    Its a whole new world for the gaming market to take care of...
    Thus this might've had a major influence for them spending so much for or over these systems..
    3x3.0 processors...
    Im sure if they had even said 2Ghz we would've been stunned...
    They upped the bar quite alot this time around...
    I would'nt want to believe the fact that the 3x3.2Ghz processors are just for show...i mean how many people would generally know of the ps3 or xbox360's spces..
    Would the kid next door want his parents to buy a 3x3.2Ghz processor or X-Box2 /360
    Its not fair to call those processors a show piece..
    But one never knows how the world truly works right....
    I mean i know so many people who dont care what GHz or Mhz even stand for...
    They simply want newer and better...that being a prime leak for the comsole gaming industry...if people see them PC's do better with games like Far Cry vs X-box = no match....
    They'd be dissapointed or not so keen on calling their system the thing they love the most etc etc..
    But im sure things like that will happen down the road..in the next 3 years!!! against the PC
    PC's r going to have 3x better cards then the current ones used for the 360!!
    But who knows may be the systems might hold out strong this time round due to the massive Processing power...
    I still see my X-Box with Halo2 out shine HL2
    even though technically they are far apart...
    So i see a much brighter future for consoles the ever before...only on the basis that the videos relesed are real time...and that games do look that much better in the years ahead with these consoles...

10. mcarr6

mcarr6 Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 Fury X
    Wow.

I have been gaming since the days of Pong (I still have that machine). I have seen technology improve and the only ones that really amaze are the marketeers.

I don't know, but for some reason I am reminded of Flava Flav and his boys doing the "don't, don't, don't, don't, don't, don't believe the hype, don't believe the hype".

Now, anyone with a bit of techie knowledge knows that specs and demos don't mean dookie.

Look at Intel, their CPUs are faster than the AMDs up to and even over a ghz, yet the performance crown is owned by AMD (that is a general concensus).

We all know the saying, money talks, bulldookie walks. What we see now is the bulldookie.

But when it comes to spending my money, I am very leery about Sony, PS1s faulty (had 2; refused to buy a third), PS2s faulty (on second one), PSPs faulty (dead pixels among other complaints; I got lucky with mine), you want a tv, you buy Samsung or Toshiba, you want a dvd player, you buy anything but a Sony, headphones, anything but a sony; my wife bought me a pair and they were faulty out of the wrapper. Sony has some bad QC. Want proof, go to the Sony forums (the PSP forums are my favorite; there's a thread asking how many PSPs has one gone through to get a faultless one).

My Xbox, bought one when it came out and it's still running faultlessly, though I had to replace my controller twice (one I stomped on because I kept getting my derriere handed to me in Ninja Gaiden, that one was my fault).

My GameCube, well, all it lacks is the games; I'm spent on Mario.

I will be buying all three, but the PS3 I will wait until about revision three or four and the next Final Fantasy.

Just my two cents. Ciao.

11. stoner

stoner Master Guru

GPU:
    x800xt
    this time around theres really no clear winner.

im just gonna save up and get em both.

12. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    Wow, can you give me a loan:D ?

13. Hav0c

Hav0c Guest

I will go with the PS3,never like the xbox.so i will hold my horses until PS3 is on the market in 2006.for now the PC and PS2 will give me all the gaming pleasure i need:D

14. David16k

David16k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7600GT XXX 256MB VIVO
    Why is everyone talking about the PS3 and Xbox360? Hasn't anyone seen the Revolution presentation?

- You can play all (80%) previously released Nintendo games from the NES/SNES/GB/GBA/N64/DS/GC on the Revolution.
    - It has the good looks.
    - It is powerful enough to compete with the other two consoles.
    - It has better franchises than any other console.
    - It has revolutionary controls which haven't been shown yet.
    - Ultimate compatibility with the Nintendo DS.

15. shades3k

shades3k Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4870 512MB
    By better franchises you mean Mario? Thanks but I'll take the Gran Turismo franchise over some cartoon rubbish anyday :)

16. David16k

David16k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7600GT XXX 256MB VIVO
    Mario, Zelda and Metroid Prime are for the 'younger' people, but Nintendo is making a lot of new games for 'adults'.

17. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    your right David16k but apparently not many care...around here...i wonder why..could be because of the lack of details for people to react to....
    I personally think the Reveloution will kick serious butt...they did quite nice with the GameCube...over bringing serious titles...
    Why does every one think Mario is the only game by Nintendo.or on the Nintendo....
    But David16K Metroid is an Adults game...and Zelda is not for kids...its for every one i guess....
    FF could also be accepted by both kids and adults alike....same goes for Zelda...
    Metroid...wont be easy for kids to play..i guess...

Well all in all... im quite impressed with the revolutions looks....better then the other two... :)

18. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    hmm... the nintendo revolution seems quite cool being able to play all the nintendo games and such........ i still have a huge box of snes games! might get the nintendo revolution if its cheaper then the ps3:) :)

19. tsot

tsot Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800GT PCI-e 256MB
    someone should do a poll

20. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    I just finished watching all three game companies press conferences.

Nintendo was shortest and to the point, they were alll about games. The run time, was under 58 minutes.

Sony, was late in starting, and went about talking about the make of the Cell* which brings me to another point, there was a young man, sometime ago that was screamed upon. When he brought up the suppose news of the Cell existence, and it's power. Well..this is from me...thanks for the early warning*

Their presentation was long, over a hour and half plus.

XBox 360, was about the online community, and what needs or new features will be done to enchance them. *Sony was still vauge*

XB was just over a hour.

After watching all three of them, from Gamespot, free stream video. I have to say, each had their moment of letdown, and cheers. But to give one of them , for the longest drag...will go to Sony. I nearly fell asleep, while watching the presentation...at work.

Please don't get me wrong, all the talk, of what makes the power of the Cell, looks good, who are truly techno savy...more power to them. But I was nearly BORED out of my mind, by all the gabba talk on the tech aspects of PS 3.

Some say, that PS 3 got the power, well, I will say no...on that. What I want to see, is the game can fully ultilize the system, to its greatest and maximum potential. That is what I am concern with.

Everything else, can come after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.