xbox 360 & ps3 using Ethernet or wireless witch one is better ?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Murderouscore, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Murderouscore

Murderouscore Member Guru

GPU:
    260 core16 Sli
    well i hate to say but i have DSL :frown: AT&T DSL ELITE i use to have cable internet witch is much faster but my roommate owes alot of money to the cable company lol so i couldn't go with out internet so i called at&t it was the only ISP in my area besides bright house roadrunner cable internet lol

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well i can pull down around 6-700k/s wirelessly, which may be enough for most people, but its nearly 10times faster with a wire.
    My router is crap though, so you may get nearer 1000k/s.

Best to spend a few days using it wired, then switch to wireless, if you notice a difference then you know which one is better for you, since i've noticed even with consoles nothing is black or white either.

3. Murderouscore

GPU:
    260 core16 Sli
    that is fast ! i really don't know how fast of a speed i'm getting with this DSL but i notice with the dsl it takes me awhile to stream a video online like youtube & downloading torrents on bitcomet is slow but playing games online so far is good for me

4. Murderouscore

GPU:
    260 core16 Sli
    well i found out how fast my internet speed is not sure if it's good or bad but i know if i had my old internet cable would be a lot faster then DSL can anyone tell if my connection is good or bad ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009

5. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    TBH, i don't think you would see major differences between a wired or wireless connection, so you will be fine either way.

6. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    for internet wi fi is ok but if u want to stream hd movies from your pc through the ps3 mediacenter then you need a ethernet cable from the router to the ps3

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I've never had any issues with PS3 wifi, maybe I'm just lucky but I've been running my ps3 through wireless for a year now and never had any issues playing online, that includes KZ2 with 32 player servers. Sometimes the connection drops when downloading big demos, but that only happened like 2-3 times, other than that great (sure not as fast as cable but it's more convenient).

8. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 6800GT Golden Samp
    I'm using wifi on my PS3 (60gb), XBOX with wireless adapter (60gb) and my Wii ... have never had any problems with any of them, in fact my signal strength is always above 90% and download speeds are quick.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    only problem with wifi is collisions tbh...

10. AaD-Marine

AaD-Marine Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 980
    deleted.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

11. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    some people are really hating on ps3's wireless. I know wired is better but ps3 wireless isnt bad too. When i do my ps3 wireless test my download speed is around 7-8mb and up speed is 2-4mb(I might getting this cause of having the highest speed internet option available from my provider).

12. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I found my wireless router next to my PC with 100% signal gave me 30-35% slower download speeds than wired.

13. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    +1

dont game on wireless, PING PING PING!!! lol

i run everything all patched cabled. I only use 1 thing thats wireless and thats the tv remote. (aswell as a mobile)

i find wireless to be unstable and generally ****, hell my internet is faster than my home wireless :p

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If your on less than a 10mb connection and you have a decent router then wireless might not be much of a downgrade, the more you go over that the more noticeable it will be.

I had no idea so many did game online with a wireless connection, now for every bit of lag i get i will be cursing them lol.

15. maff-o8

maff-o8 Guest

on paper ethernet would kick ass compared to wireless as i believe wireless runs half the bandwidth of wired? correct me if im wrong, but ive used both and havent really seen much difference in online play,

16. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Depends on ur connection, i can get about 7mb on wireless, but 50mb wired.

If you only have 8mb then you prob wont see a difference.